Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

There will be an annual loss! So why exactly is this extension being built?

Annual operating loss.

Toronto subway eats up several hundred million in capital every year too (maintenance, rolling stock, etc.). Seems to cost about $3M/km from the capital budget after a decade or two of ageing.

I was initially very skeptical about this extension, but I've come around to it.

I worked on projects at York University for a number of years, and I know that they have plans for continued growth, so I think that it makes sense to connect it to the subway network. It'll be a good transit draw. Especially as the secondary plan for the area has been modified to encourage mixed-use higher densities. York Boulevard from the commons to Keele has essentially been reserved for new university facilities. The area around Steeles West station has also been rezoned accordingly. I think that over the next twenty to thirty years, we'll see the benefits of this.

The extension towards the 407 and Highway 7 is a little more iffy. The area doesn't have a big draw like York University, so it'll be harder to make it all work. But I think it'll be the right move, in the long term. It seems stupid now, of course. But if we want successful transit, we need to increase network integration and transit use in the 905. By providing a direct connection with the VIVA on HWY7 and the 407 GO Bus, we are hopefully making transit more attractive to those who would previously not consider it.

Last edited:
Thats what GO is for, long haul commutes. Subways are for local service. When I keep thinking Eglinton is not even getting a subway, no DRL, etc and yet there is an extension into the 905.

So I attended yesterday's Rutherford/Carrville EA Public consultations about the GO rail crossing at Rutherford and I had a chance to ask a Vaughan councillor (who I won't name), why does Vaughan so insists on calling its subway station "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre"? She basically answered that Vaughan spent a lot of effort (by that she probably meant time and money) branding it, and she also mentioned the acronym "VMC" (which they prefer over the long name of Vaughan Metropolitan Centre). She was really determined with her response, and it's hard for me to see how Vaughan is going to back off of this issue.
Is there a way to set up a poll for Vaughan residents which would ask them to choose between Vaughan Centre and VMC? As a Vaughan resident, I'd rather have the station named Vaughan Centre.

Thats what GO is for, long haul commutes. Subways are for local service. When I keep thinking Eglinton is not even getting a subway, no DRL, etc and yet there is an extension into the 905.

Just because the Subway has suddenly been extended from Downsview to HIghway Seven does not all of a sudden make it for "long-haul commutes". Practically, yes, a lot of riders will use it for this purpose, but providing the subway in this area also provides local service for the residents of the area, and useful connections to VIVA / GO Train and GO Bus. It helps us to establish a more comprehensive network, and in the long-run, I believe that this is a good thing. The benefits of those items need to be factored into the equation.

Besides, having the subway in this area increases connectivity and the attractiveness of GO Transit for long-haul commutes, as passengers can disembark at Downsview Park GO Train Station, or catch a train from there to downtown Toronto. It's possible that riders in this area will see GO Transit as a good alternative, as their previous station (York University Station) was poorly placed and poorly connected to the transit network. This is a good step towards future integration between GO Transit and the TTC.

I can understand what you're saying regarding going North of Steeles to HWY 7, but my guess is that after York Region agreed to pay 1/3 of the capital cost, the TTC jumped at the opportunity. It's not often that someone offers to pay for infrastructure, and if you're the TTC, you take what you can get when you can get it, I suppose. Extending to York University is good policy, regardless, IMO.

Last edited:
Besides, having the subway in this area increases connectivity and the attractiveness of GO Transit for long-haul commutes, as passengers can disembark at Downsview Park GO Train Station, or catch a train from there to downtown Toronto. It's possible that riders in this area will see GO Transit as a good alternative, as their previous station (York University Station) was poorly placed and poorly connected to the transit network. This is a good step towards future integration between GO Transit and the TTC.

There will be no benefit for anyone already on subway and heading downtown to transfer to GO train at the Downsview Park station. The subway trip to Union will take 30 min; GO train will get there in 20 min, but the walk time and the need to wait for the next GO train (they will be running on 30-min headways at best for the foreseeable future) will negate all savings.

That subway / GO interchange will be useful for people arriving by GO from the north, and heading either to York U or to some place midtown where the GO train does not stop. However, I expect no more than 10 to 20 people per each GO train arrival will do that kind of transfer.

There will be no benefit for anyone already on subway and heading downtown to transfer to GO train at the Downsview Park station. The subway trip to Union will take 30 min; GO train will get there in 20 min, but the walk time and the need to wait for the next GO train (they will be running on 30-min headways at best for the foreseeable future) will negate all savings.
A very valid point. I was kind of thinking of the far future where we have shorter headways and two-way service on the Barrie GO Line.

Yes and No. IIRC YRT/VIVA have 2 hr transfer windows so technically you could ride a YRT bus to VCC - Board the subway (pay TTC fare) - then board at 407 using your YRT fare. However I doubt there would be much transferring between the stations north of Steeles. VCC is the terminus, you are either getting on the subway or off from/to points south of Steeles. 407 Transitway would mainly serve commuters coming off of hwy 407 (personal vehicle) or the 407 transitway (likely a bus route run by GO). Steeles west will have a few connecting bus routes from YRT and TTC however given that YRT routes would serve North of Steeles if your on the subway already it's not likely that you will transfer back on to YRT.

Dec 25
The only thing I did not shoot were Finch and Steeles. More photos up on site under Spadina Subway Extension
6609129131_c5c9651122_b.jpg

6609132173_157701b3ab_b.jpg

6609167447_a5f5150b9b_b.jpg

6609171481_6a3649679d_b.jpg

6608940967_067496de90_b.jpg

6608950637_6268bc7055_b.jpg

6608939231_deb2d22b5b_b.jpg

6608934009_89215ef872_b.jpg

6608936009_19e39f6cd3_b.jpg

6608867835_55b1dc914c_b.jpg

6608859339_98b3ed8e9a_b.jpg

6608854631_60a9280eac_b.jpg

6608851317_f4ffc7bfd5_b.jpg

6608849657_7e6f093049_b.jpg

Good pics. I'm surprised the TBM hasn't reached Shep. W. yet. I see the tunnel liner segments. Is the TTC going to spray a layer of concrete over them or leave them exposed?

I also thought of something else: If YRT and GO buses are no longer allowed on campus and will be serving the Steeles West station, then what's the point of the 407 station?

From the photos of the York University station site, I guess that the Ministry of Labour still has construction is still suspended 3 months after the accident. I guess that's one contractor who won't be getting work from TTC for many years.

From the photos of the York University station site, I guess that the Ministry of Labour still has construction is still suspended 3 months after the accident. I guess that's one contractor who won't be getting work from TTC for many years.

According to various email from TTC and York, the rig was supposed to be moved by now and work has resumed.

Just because there was an accident where someone one was injury or kill doesn't not mean the contractor will not get another with TTC or who every. The contractor doesn't have 100% control over human personal who are sub contractors to them in the first place as its impossible. I have seen things happen on sites where every step was follow, but things do go wrong.

Over the years I have had many eye flash burns from welding, when I wasn't even looking at the welding at the time. Going to the hospital at night to get your eyes wash and bandage hours after leaving a site because your eyes are on fire with a sand feeling. The bandages are to stay on for 24/48 hours, but were removed only hours later since I had various job site meeting to attend the next day. I took the correct steps on site, but got the flash burn from the reflection off a wall or something.

I am assuming what took place on site, but that as far I am going, as well stating my assessment. Will wait until the report is release.

Just because there was an accident where someone one was injury or kill doesn't not mean the contractor will not get another with TTC or who every. The contractor doesn't have 100% control over human personal who are sub contractors to them in the first place as its impossible. I have seen things happen on sites where every step was follow, but things do go wrong.
Perhaps ... but I've talked to contractors who use the nearly identical rig to the one that toppled. They couldn't understand why anyone was so incompetent thatr the rig was moving with the boom extended the way it was. The operator should have known it wasn't right. As should a half-dozen people on Site who should have shut them down. It was an accident waiting to happen. From what I've heard, this wasn't a fluke, but a direct result of the equipment being used in a way that it was never meant to be, and any competent contractor would have known that.

Back