Toronto Sherway Gardens Expansion | ?m | 2s | Cadillac Fairview | DIALOG

Methinks CF is afflicted by the same marketing-gone-wrong bug as Metrolinx.

I have never seen someone use so many self-serving words in advertising until these two. You'd think they cured cancer!

Methinks CF is afflicted by the same marketing-gone-wrong bug as Metrolinx.

I have never seen someone use so many self-serving words in advertising until these two. You'd think they cured cancer!

Can't beat this one:

http://www.cadillacfairview.com/cad...-unify-iconic-shopping-centres-across-canada/

Don't they ever focus group these things and find how ridiculous they sound? Sounds like someone had a performance metric to meet and came up these stupid ideas. And yes, the new logo - with the chic fonts and eroded look, tres hip.

AoD

How stupid is this marketing dept? Do they really think consumers care about the Cadillac Fairview brand? Consumers are more likely to associate their brand with the Cadillac car brand, than the company that owns a mall. There's not one person in this city that will ever refer to the Eaton Centre as "Cadillac Fairview Eaton Centre" and they would've been better off plastering ads somewhere around the city.

But they're not asking people to call it Cadillac Fairview Eaton Centre or Cadillac Fairview Sherway Gardens, they're asking them to call it CF Toronto Eaton Centre, and CF Sherway Gardens, as if CF means anything to anyone. I'm at Sherway now, and they've done a beautiful job of the expansion (story coming), but I am never, ever going to call it CF anything.

This is simply a bunch of marketers sitting around convincing each other that they've just had a good idea, with no-one brave enough to tell the instigator "Your idea is pure navel-gazing bullshit. Don't be an effing moron, the TGI will show the consumption audience is not going to be engaged by the positioning campaign, whether by deluge or drip." …or something to that effect.

Yes, it's sheer stupidity.

A lot of people complained when the Royal York became the Fairmont Royal York. That name change worked for Fairmont. No reason to think it won't happen here as well over time. At some point I'll be in Vancouver and I'll see the CF name and realize that the Pacific Mall is owned by the same company that owns the Eaton Centre. Works from a marketing point of view if you ask me. I think it seems like a bad idea now because the CF brand is so new it means nothing just yet. But it could grow into something done properly.

What about the CF malls that already have Fairview in the name?

So Fairview Mall is now CF Fairview Mall? (Cadillac Fairview Fairview Mall?)
And Fairview Pointe Claire is now CF Fairview Pointe Claire? (Cadillac Fairview Fairview Point Claire?)

What about the CF malls that already have Fairview in the name?

So Fairview Mall is now CF Fairview Mall? (Cadillac Fairview Fairview Mall?)
And Fairview Pointe Claire is now CF Fairview Pointe Claire? (Cadillac Fairview Fairview Point Claire?)
Slides off the tongue, like butter.

This mall has a special place in my heart. Back in the 90's, my parents would take my brother and I here. I would get excited thinking about the food court upstairs and my brother and I would spend half an hour in the arcade, playing Killer Instinct.

This mall has a special place in my heart. Back in the 90's, my parents would take my brother and I here. I would get excited thinking about the food court upstairs and my brother and I would spend half an hour in the arcade, playing Killer Instinct.

I used to also go to this mall when I was a child. In fact it was the first shopping mall that I visited when I arrived in Canada as a child. I have many memories of this mall.

I used to also go to this mall when I was a child. In fact it was the first shopping mall that I visited when I arrived in Canada as a child. I have many memories of this mall.
Me too - not the first mall in Canada (that honour goes to Eaton's), but my first real suburban mall experience.

I checked out the 'new' mall last night... Some of my thoughts:

1) It lost its charm - it's just as generic as Yorkdale now.
2) I really, really liked the late 80s throwback of the old mall.
3) It no longer feels cozy and exclusive.
4) The food court is beautiful, but generic (nothing, and I mean nothing, can be as good as eating under the lush plants and tents of the old one).
5) I like that they used the same stone as the original mall (quarried from France).
6) Is Holt Renfrew renovating? I'm still unclear on their status in the mall.
7) Parking is awesome now.

Question for Retail Insider (if you still troll the forums) - what happened to Burberry, Louis Vuitton, etc.. Their spots seem to have been leased to other companies.

Me too - not the first mall in Canada (that honour goes to Eaton's), but my first real suburban mall experience.

I checked out the 'new' mall last night... Some of my thoughts:

4) The food court is beautiful, but generic (nothing, and I mean nothing, can be as good as eating under the lush plants and tents of the old one).
5) I like that they used the same stone as the original mall (quarried from France).

Question for Retail Insider (if you still troll the forums) - what happened to Burberry, Louis Vuitton, etc.. Their spots seem to have been leased to other companies.

Can you confirm if the Chipotle is open in the new food court?

Chipotle opens Saturday.

1) Completely, wholeheartedly agree. Was there last week for the first time in years. Where have the gardens of Sherway Gardens gone? They chopped down every single tree in the mall, and some of the feature gardens were removed and replaced with tile. In other areas, there are fake plants now.

2) YES, times a million. Why couldn't they keep the mall unique?

3) Indeed... I wanted to get in and out. Did not want to linger.

4) I was so sad to see the condition of the older food court. I have memories of the tent, the greenery, and even the birds that used to fly around in there. I think it's dumb that they moved the food court... they even advertise the new one as having "panoramic views of The Queensway"- sorry, marketing department, why would I want to stare at that while having lunch?

5) Cool

6) me too

7) Is this sarcasm? I actually don't like the new parking flow.

Back