Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

They have building permits for it, so I'd believe it

http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=2756782

(I don't think that's the cafe, is it? I haven't been in the building, but I can't imagine they have a cafe with seating for more than 30 people in there)

Your message makes no sense; you attach a permit application from November 2010 for a cafe with more than 30 seats and then say "I can't imagine they have a cafe with seating for more than 30 people in there." Once the building work is finished they clearly expect to - the question will be is it to be open to the public or must we wait for the GBC Building to open and for the (tiny) cafe in the Sherbourne Park South building to get going.

I'm asking if anyone has info on the restaurant that seems to be under construction on the SOUTH-EAST side of the Corus building. There is already a small chain-type cafe (coffee, sandwitches, slads etc.) on the NORTH-EAST side of the building.

One of the guys working on the building last week said the rest. will be called "Against the Grain" but I'm not sure no really knew. My wife and I spent lots of time at Sugar Beach this summer - it would be great to see a restaurant will a big patio next to the beach!!!!!!

Anyone have any info?

I know back when they were searching for the cafe and restaurant tenants, the selection process pretty much made sure no chain restaurants would open up there.

The pavilion with the zinc cladding applied:

IMG_4430.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

That looks very nice -- I presume, however, that it won't really be opening now until spring (that faux "grand opening" in the fall notwithstanding).

That's so so nice. My biggest worry here is that there will be vandalism, due to it being in an area that isn't so busy.

Very cool. I wouldn't worry too much about vandalism if only because pedestrian traffic is going to increase -- dramatically.

They were working on the skating rink early last week - laying the rubber matting around the sides of it. If this were not 'the government" I would assume this meant the rink will open soon but ....

Update at 4.30pm. There was a group of hard-hats on the ice a few minutes ago and it appeared to be ice not snow. They did not rspond when I asked them (from a distance) about an opening day. The pavillion does look very good 'in person'.

Last edited:
The cladding looks sleek, modern, and consistent. I love it. I just hope there won't be huge letters scratched into it in a few months. They should probably install cameras. That zinc can't be cheap to replace.

I'd love for folks to be wrong, but I agree that this beautiful pristine surface will not remain that way -- my guess is we'll see our first major graffiti before spring.

Very nice. As soon as I saw this I decided I want zinc countertops. I checked google and they do exist!

Back