Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

The park looks great. I'm hoping the Corus building will have more than just 1 small cafe. It would be awesome if the building gets a few restaurants (with large patio's) over the next few years once this area gets built up. I too did a double take on the light standards. WTF is that? This isn't a road folks why would you put road lighting in a park. Seems beyond bizarre. I hope it's not a permanent fixture but rather a temporary thing.

"Soft open" = closed -- July 1

There are a bunch of construction guys busily fixing the last few things today, and so security is posted and we were not allowed in. Disappointing -- looks great from the road. The security thought it would be open for the weekend.

The street lights don't look too good, but the pic is a bit misleading -- they're actually on the 'street' across the front of Corus and then down the side -- not on the tree-lined walkway. I think there will be other, better, lighting on the park itself to light the promenade when it's done.

Hmm - security yesterday said it would be open today... and I was able to get all the pictures I wanted... but I did wonder about the equipment that was still onsite.

I am willing to bet that security will let people in again at the end of the "working day" today.

Working on Canada Day? Double time maybe?

I am willing to bet that security will let people in again at the end of the "working day" today.

Working on Canada Day? Double time maybe?

>> They did say it was because 'the equipment is dangerous.' Maybe if they move the tractors or the workers aren't there.

>> A whack of work being done at Sherbourne Common as well. 8-10 guys.

"The equipment is dangerous." For goodness sakes, not as long as you know how to handle it!

Nobody stopped me wandering around the park early Monday evening when I went to see the Corus atrium lightning bolt.

I was down to watch the fireworks tonight. The fence gate was open at Corus and a handful of people were there. Still some machines on site; looks like a few umbrellas have yet to be attached. And the waterside walk south of Corus remains fenced-off.

Easy to forget how far from... anything... this little urban oasis is. Even the Pier 27 stuff won't make a dent until the other side of the road (and that artery itself) is redeveloped. And who knows if that will me one of Mayor Ford's priorities.

I went yesterday and today, and both times security didn't say anything to the numerous people wandering the park.

Some planned features don't seem to be included, but overall I think it's great. It feels like a beach, instead of some random strip of land.

And rather than feeling like Redpath is too close, it feels almost too far away. The beach is so effective you don't really notice or care about Redpath.

Visited today too.

Positives:

Sugar Beach is much bigger than I expected. It's phenomenal!
Muskoka chairs are great.
Splash pad looks wonderful as do the candy-striped 'outcroppings.'
Trees are nice. Hope they're irrigated.

Negatives:

Corus Quay is lame. Materials and detailing are decent but they're like lipstick on a pig.
The maple leaf pavers are not as exciting as I expected.
The 'road-side' light standards are terrible. What happened there?

Overall:

Great job but, again, could have been at least a little bit better. Definitely a plus for Toronto and worth a visit or, rather, frequent visits.

I'll join in, just came back my self.

Corus Quay is no architectural gem, but in no way does it detract from sugar beach ... in some ways the opposite may be true - many architectural gems suffer from a lack of detail upon close inspection, that's the one thing the Corus building does do right, the little details.

Everything is amazing, might just be one of the best city build Toronto parks (in terms of details / materials used / quality) - I love the stripes by the way ... I know there were some complaints above but a quick visit will change the minds of many I believe. The key is, the alternative would be to have the rocks painted colors i.e. paint the whole rock red / pink / yellow ... that would have looked a lot worse / cheesy - but this was a lot more elegant.

I'm not a big pink fan but the pink umbrellas work here very well - I have some hope for the lighting standards that is, I believe more will be installed directly on the path opposed to the street, so time will tell.
I was also hoping for some of the seating we saw designs from west 8 - but that might be for the QQ project.

The beach is very good, I think it's larger than the HTO beach, and the trees in the sand is brilliant.

The standard street lights and standard bike posts are inexcusable. What a lost opportunity. And the same street lights continue along the whole boardwalk south of the Corus building too!

The only signs of upcoming light features are 3 poles which are on the west side of the beach. They have electrical wires hanging out so I presume they are future lights.

And there should be a better water feature. Perhaps a wading pool like the new one on Burlington waterfront?

Sherbourne Commons will be one big water feature so I don't think they need one at sugar beach where the focus is on beach. I agree that it was a big mistake to use regular street hardware in a signature park... especially street lights on a sidewalk. Sidewalks should never have the same lighting as a street even in Middleofnowhere Park.

Back