Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

Market Wharf is the name of the new condo south of the St. Lawrence Market as there used to be a wharf leading up to the market back in the day.

You voted for Merchant's Wharf Park. You're not the only one to mix up the names... see a couple of pages back. :)

Whoops, I did indeed make the same mistake; however the condo is actually called Market Square, not wharf. I guess we'll call it even this time.

My bad again it seems, I was thinking of the '80s development; forgot all about that new thing.

Sherbourne Commons and Merchant's Wharf sound a bit generic.
Tkaronto would be something that would be easily mis-prounounced and misspelled.

Interesting enough that Market Wharf condos are just couple blocks west, though I doubt that the two would be confused with each other.

Isn't these some great compassionate person from the city we could name this park after?
bar1967: I also like your idea of naming it after the original builder of the wharf.

I wasn't suggesting that it be named Allen's Wharf. In my opinion it is way too similar to Allen Gardens.

UrbanToronto correctly predicted 2 of the top 3: Merchant's Wharf Park and Sherbourne Commons led our poll of the initial 7. Our third choice, Kanadario Park did not make it cut, while one of our fourth most popular choices, Tkaranto Park, did. Inevitably one must ask: just who is the general public who voted on the Waterfront Toronto website, and how dare they differ from our (much smaller) poll?

Now that we are at the run-off stage, it's time to ask you to vote again here.. Let's see if the public at large agrees!

I'm starting to warm to Tkaronto. The fact that it is unpronounceable lends a little air of exoticism and lets face it the city could use a little.

I'm starting to warm to Tkaronto. The fact that it is unpronounceable lends a little air of exoticism and lets face it the city could use a little.

I agree. They have taken Kanadario away. so this wins in my books. by default.

I voted for Sherbourne Commons. Kinda boring, but it sounds the least pretentious of the three and it kind of helps connect this new neighbourhood to the city above it. If I was going to spend the afternoon somewhere, I'd rather spend it at Sherbourne Commons than at unpronounceable Taronto? Karonto? T'kronto? Charonto? park or the merchantless, wharfless Merchant's Wharf park (which is my second choice, I guess).

There are now several HUGE piles of sand at Canada's Sugar Beach and the first of the (orange) umbrellas is up. They really look as though they are still hoping for an end-June opening of this one.

I voted for Sherbourne Commons. Kinda boring, but it sounds the least pretentious of the three and it kind of helps connect this new neighbourhood to the city above it. If I was going to spend the afternoon somewhere, I'd rather spend it at Sherbourne Commons than at unpronounceable Taronto? Karonto? T'kronto? Charonto? park or the merchantless, wharfless Merchant's Wharf park (which is my second choice, I guess).

Our aboriginal culture is now pretentious? Who knew??

Our aboriginal culture is now pretentious? Who knew??

I never said Aboriginal culture is pretentious.

I do think using an empty, far-fetched, post-rationalized metaphor to commemorate that culture is pretentious. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that a non-Aboriginal person proposed the name "Tlkaronto" and not someone form the Iroquois Nation. I'm sure that someone within that community could have come up with an Iroquois name that is more original and meaningful than a respelling our city's name to make it sound more "ethnic" or "exotic" to people like you.

It was the "exoticism" of this Aboriginal name you like, right? And there is nothing like fetishising those "exoticness" of those aboriginals as an authentic way to honour their culture.

The park was not designed to represent this "trees in the water" idea, that "many people believe" was the word the Iroquois people once used to describe the area around what is now the city of Toronto. This is post-rationalization plain and simple. It's hollow, empty and yes, pretentious.

I changed my mind. I like the name Tkaronto now better than Sherbourne Commons. It's more unique and makes me want to know where the name came from.

Back