Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

16 August 2014: Suddenly the old building next to it looks really good--the glazing here could get tiresome.
pBdmbsU.jpg

On one hand this building makes Yonge Street (especially that stretch) look a lot nicer, and in the other hand I'm going to miss the neon light Yonge Street with character, as seedy as that was.

It snuggles in nicely in that last shot. As for missing the old Yonge, I know what you mean--there's real nostalgia value there. But I'm hardpressed to say Yonge has gotten less seedy.

Okay, maybe a bit. But it's still so damn seedy.

I can't think of another major city in the world that has it's main street lined mostly with converted 3 storey brick buildings that contain head shops, strip clubs and various food and clothing retailers. Not sure if that's cool or slightly embarrassing, it's certainly unique.

I can't think of another major city in the world that has it's main street lined mostly with converted 3 storey brick buildings that contain head shops, strip clubs and various food and clothing retailers. Not sure if that's cool or slightly embarrassing, it's certainly unique.

I'd say it's unique. Although that will change soon. With all the condo's going up and Ryerson students. i can see more suburban corporate chains creeping up Yonge st taking over the strip joints, head shops, and discount stores.

That would be Yonge north of Dundas, but not south of Queen.

Most of the types of building you long for were razed in order to build our financial district. And Yonge is already in the process of building up.

Most of the current scale of buildings are reflective of the city a century ago. Were Toronto 100 or even just 50 years older and grew at the same pace pre-WWII, we would have ended up with a much denser, larger, and taller city core -- not to mention 1-2 more major subway lines.

As things stand, there are several condos in the pipeline along Yonge, from College up to Cumberland. The influx of residents will inevitably shift the retail mix and the urban form as intensification and gentrification wend their way. But another equally relevant question is: where will all the head shops, counter-culture, and non-chain stores go? Every city has areas of them -- and remember, no other city has a street as long as Yonge. San Fran has Haight-Ashbury, London has Camden and Shoreditch. Will Toronto just be limited to Kensington?

Part of what makes Yonge interesting (quite arguably) is its contrast and mix, especially if you walk up it from Front Street to Yorkville. But what happens when it becomes homogenous?

Is its vitality necessarily improved through McGentrification?

The north wall was not given windows or other features as there's an expectation that Yonge Street will continue to intensify and larger buildings to the north will eventually be built.

Those buildings will block any windows or features that may have been incorporated into the north wall.

M.

I don't disagree that Yonge is our main street, both in georgraphic and historical terms. But realistically, Queen, Bloor and the Eaton Centre are where the tourists (and locals) go to shop. I don't mind the remnants of seediness on Yonge at all, but do recognize that it is changing, albeit relatively slowly.

Retail development at 1 Bloor will likely kick off the spread of big brand retail southward along Yonge to where it will logically connect with Dundas Square area and Eaton Centre.

Retail development at 1 Bloor will likely kick off the spread of big brand retail southward along Yonge to where it will logically connect with Dundas Square area and Eaton Centre.

I don't know about 1 Bloor kicking it off - the redevelopment/densification of the entire stretch of Yonge probably will though. At the end of the day I think the nature of Yonge is significantly different north of College.

AoD

It may also kick-off expansion east of Yonge (including the HBC site on the north side) first. I can't really see big brand retail going all the way down to Gerrard for a very long time. Maybe to Charles, yes.

We are back inside Ryerson with a pile of photos and a video with an up-to-date tour. We be the first to admit that capturing the great interiors of this building with cameras is a challenge, but take a look here!

What a great update of what is perhaps the most interesting building going up in T.O. right now! :)

Back