Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

now they just need a PATH connection.
Yah that would be grande. Looking at the PATH network the northernmost connection on Yonge is at 10 Dundas East, immediately to the south of the Student Learning Centre.

I'd extend the PATH northwards all the way to Gerrard to connect with Aura and College Park, and create a surface entrance at Gould and Yonge to allow a street entrance to both the PATH network and Dundas Station.

Yah that would be grande. Looking at the PATH network the northernmost connection on Yonge is at 10 Dundas East, immediately to the south of the Student Learning Centre.

I'd extend the PATH northwards all the way to Gerrard to connect with Aura and College Park, and create a surface entrance at Gould and Yonge to allow a street entrance to both the PATH network and Dundas Station.

The Aura has a knockout wall in place for the PATH.

To deal with Gould entrance, need to redo 10 Dundas to the point the whole block is rebuilt. Do this would see the Dundas Station being totally rebuilt with a wider platform, relocation of the air vents and entrance. Plans are in the work for the west side, but the platform needs to be wider. If the north end of the Eaton Centre every get rebuilt, you widen the platform in that area as well move the entrance to allow for the PATH.

Because there is less space and lower chance to redevelop the west side of Yonge compare to the east side, the PATH should be on the east side.

With the PATH entrance at Gould, the 2nd entrance to the Subway would be there as well. A 4th should go in at Dundas SQ south end.

Is the vacant lot on the southeast corner of Yonge & Gould not roughly parallel with the end of the Dundas platform? If so, I think it would be nice to have a walkway off the end of each platform (with the southbound platform walkway dipping under the tracks) heading to a new entrance/exit on that lot. It would be somewhat similar to what exists at the north end of Queen station.

And yes, I agree that that whole 10 Dundas East block should be redeveloped. The building is a disaster, and with the heritage property now gone (unfortunately), the whole block can become a clean slate for an integrated development. Take the Ryerson bookstore and parking lot out too. I always thought that whole "build over it" setup was dumb anyways.

Arn't they developing that site at younge and gould for retail? Would be a pretty good place for a Uniqlo flagship store if you ask me. The whole AMC and parking lot is a terrible waste of space though.

IMG_4810.jpg
Peculiar thing: as my GO train was coming down to Union this morning, I noticed shipments of cladding arriving at the huge parking lot at the West Don Lands (Pan-Am village area). That cladding definitely belongs to the Ryerson SLC.

I was in the park today and remembered this post so I decided to peek and see if it was all still there... and it is.

Attachments

• IMG_4810.jpg
    IMG_4810.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,024
Now that Gould is a dead end street with almost zero traffic I'd like to see the city move the existing traffic light a few metres north to Elm. It's always a mess at that intersection with turning cars having to wait quite a long time because of all the pedestrian traffic.
As stated, this probably makes sense from a vehicular standpoint, but little from a pedestrian (which is probably more important along Yonge, even based on raw numbers). Having said that, most pedestrians (since the pedestrianization of most of Gould) tend to ignore the light anyway and look shocked when a vehicle is trying to drive on a green signal out of Gould onto Yonge.

considering the only vehicles using Gould at this point are to access the shipping and receiving of 10 dundas, yes. The light can be moved to Empress IMO, it feels rather pointless in its current form.

As stated, this probably makes sense from a vehicular standpoint, but little from a pedestrian (which is probably more important along Yonge, even based on raw numbers). Having said that, most pedestrians (since the pedestrianization of most of Gould) tend to ignore the light anyway and look shocked when a vehicle is trying to drive on a green signal out of Gould onto Yonge.

I saw this happen earlier this month with a fricken Police car! Police car exiting Gould onto Yonge almost ran over a group of jaywalkers and had to blast his horn at them. I facepalmed from across the street....

That's not a mockup. Whyever would you think it is?

Its definitely not a mock up. As well, there is more cladding on the south side of the building.

It could have been a test installation, but it's not a mock-up.

The glazing—stacks and stacks of it—has been produced and is sitting on a property in the West Don Lands waiting for them to be ready to install more of it.

Remember, buildings in this city are constructed not to keep impatient UT members happy! Contractors have a pile of reasons for why things are done at certain points.

Back