Toronto ROQ City | 113.48m | 33s | Tricon | Hariri Pontarini

I haven't seen any of the retail or residential tenants of this block move out yet. Whatever is happening has slowed to a crawl.

I haven't seen any of the retail or residential tenants of this block move out yet. Whatever is happening has slowed to a crawl.

There's a reason for that:

1648221537367.png

The new buildings haven't been approved yet (for permits) either. They are 'Under Review'.

Two new parks are coming to the North St. Lawrence Neighbourhood as part of mixed-use development projects at 261 Queen St. E. Opens in new window and 254-260 King St. E Opens in new window. The park designs will be determined through community engagement.

Project Timeline

• Winter 2022: Hire a design team
  • Spring 2022 to Fall/Winter 2022: Community engagement and design development
  • Spring 2023 to Winter 2023: Detailed designs
  • New Park on Richmond Street East:
    • 2024: Hire a construction team and construction starts
    • 2025: Construction complete, park opens
  • New Park on King Street East:
    • 2025: Hire a construction team and construction starts
    • 2026: Construction complete, parks open

The timeline is subject to change. The new 1,400m2 park that will be constructed as part of the development at 261 Queen St. E. will be located just south of the development site, at Richmond Street East and Ontario Street. This park will be referred to as the New Park on Richmond Street East until the park is officially named.

Signs are now up at the 285 Queen tenant indicating they are moving out at the end of the month. That is specifies they are moving, not closing, makes me guess the notices to end leases on all of these properties have gone out around the block.
I'll have to stop in to Mengrai Thai and ask them.

Last edited:
The small building in between at 106 Ontario Street has been boarded up. Looks like it's all in progress now. This was actually a recording studio which I believe was deliberately left unmarked on the outside as they didn't want to attract attention given they had famous guests on occasion.

Last edited:
Great area to live in. Indigent men's shelters, druggies, panhandlers, petty crime, ugly architecture (Moss Park) and a general sense of despair. Sign me up! Sorry about the sarchasm but I gave up on the east side of downtown many many years ago. This is totally the result of City Hall sleepwalking through the decay, lack of planning, and short sightedness that has defined this area for decades. I am not optimistic about this proposal but I hope I'm wrong.

It will be a challenge. As far as I know, the numerous shelters and related facilities are not leaving, and so a few locations for new builds will not be great. It's hard to say how it will work out, however it's fortunate that the population described above are not violent, at least I have never seen any evidence of that (unless you are a glass window...... RIP St Lawrence area). I am very interested to see what a gentrifying Queen East will look and feel like.

The 90 Ontario Street apartment building is now boarded up too.

The autobody shop at the corner of Ontario and Queen is still open, but I see in the empty lot behind it on Queen some equipment is now on site, and there are people in construction gear and safety vests milling about today.

IMG_20220505_134006.jpg

Last edited:
The 90 Ontario Street apartment building is now boarded up too.

The autobody shop at the corner of Ontario and Queen is still open, but I see in the empty lot behind it on Queen some equipment is now on site, and there are people in construction gear and safety vests milling about today.

View attachment 398142
The autobody shop has now shut down and been boarded up, though they left behind about 100 tires stacked outside. And I mean 100. They are in multiple stacks sitting in front.
Maye they are just hoping someone will take them away?

IMG_20220526_155452.jpg

I like that overhead view above showing the fully intact heritage row (not involved for this project) along Queen Street East.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to this development moving along to see those two 5-storey buildings with white paint restored to its red brick exterior.

I like that overhead view above showing the fully intact heritage row (not involved for this project) along Queen Street East.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to this development moving along to see those two 5-storey buildings with white paint restored to its red brick exterior.
One of my favourite commercial blocks in the city, it's gorgeous. A prime example of why I weep when I see what passes for "architecture" at street level these days.

Except of course if HPA is involved, those renders look very promising.

Back