Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

From the Jays home opener last night

20240408_181854.jpg
20240408_181933.jpg
20240408_181936.jpg
20240408_190300.jpg
20240408_191213.jpg
20240408_192438.jpg

Yeah I thought everything else looked better, the problem is 80% is that shot of pitcher vs batter, and I found it painful.
Since you’re such a fan maybe you should just buy tickets versus watching it on your tv. Experience the bunker in person.

As a platinum member of my beloved Ignore List for the past 3 years, this forum member has earned a valuable gift (custom keyboard).

social-media-trolls.jpg

Link
I just thought he might like the view from behind the plate. He admittedly likes the outfield and 500 renovations. The only way to see those are from behind home plate. Just a thought exercise.

Again, not from TO, so for those more in the know now that's it's complete....aside from the exterior and some sunlight in, would spending 1.5-2B on a new park actually achieve much more beyond what's been created now? If you are in a dome already, going to open air will never happen. Like obviously it will need to be replaced eventually, but is there really a rush now?
When the story broke a few years ago about a new Jays stadium, I was all for it. Very happy to knock the dome down and build something new.

But I have to say, post renovations, I think I actually agree with you. The fan experience is night and day, and visually it's far far improved. Plus with the major improvements in fake turf the last ten years, I really don't care about natural grass anymore. Maybe down the road they could open up some of the outfield with windows looking out to the city (something Shapiro said they did consider in these renos if the budget was high enough), but beyond that.... yeah. In my opinion, they accomplished their goal of transforming the Skydome from a 1980s multipurpose facility to a really nice modern ballpark.

Maybe in 10-15 years a new stadium proposal will knock our socks off, but as a huge Jays fan (who at one time really did not like the dome at all), I'd have to say I'd be very content with the Jays staying there for the long term.

Again, not from TO, so for those more in the know now that's it's complete....aside from the exterior and some sunlight in, would spending 1.5-2B on a new park actually achieve much more beyond what's been created now? If you are in a dome already, going to open air will never happen. Like obviously it will need to be replaced eventually, but is there really a rush now?

I don't think there's a rush, but the conversation will have to be addressed in another decade. As to what a new ballpark could achieve, we should remember this stadium is being turned into a baseball only stadium, but there's always going to be a slightly wonky feel to it, because it was never meant to only be for baseball. A new stadium would hopefully feel better for baseball. Another thing that would likely be taken into consideration when building a new stadium would be opening it up to the outside. It would likely have more windows, letting in natural light.

While I think they've done a fairly good job on the renos, I do wonder if they've bit off more than they can chew and were forced to make changes to the initial plan, just so that they could finish on time. I don't like that the wall separating the sections is grey, but also a different material than the one that is behind home plate. Speaking of, fans on reddit seem to really hate the new wall, the biggest complaints being that it looks cheap, and too grey. Some feel there's now too much space between the fans behind home plate, and the fact that they are separated from the rest of the fans doesn't seem to sit well, either.

I don't think there's a rush, but the conversation will have to be addressed in another decade. As to what a new ballpark could achieve, we should remember this stadium is being turned into a baseball only stadium, but there's always going to be a slightly wonky feel to it, because it was never meant to only be for baseball. A new stadium would hopefully feel better for baseball. Another thing that would likely be taken into consideration when building a new stadium would be opening it up to the outside. It would likely have more windows, letting in natural light.

While I think they've done a fairly good job on the renos, I do wonder if they've bit off more than they can chew and were forced to make changes to the initial plan, just so that they could finish on time. I don't like that the wall separating the sections is grey, but also a different material than the one that is behind home plate. Speaking of, fans on reddit seem to really hate the new wall, the biggest complaints being that it looks cheap, and too grey. Some feel there's now too much space between the fans behind home plate, and the fact that they are separated from the rest of the fans doesn't seem to sit well, either.
you realize changing that wall is a pretty minor thing that could be done at any time. Lets not make mountains out of molehills

I'm not making a mountain of anything, just saying not everyone is loving the backdrop.
well when air Canada centre opened they had wrapped around the building "faces of Toronto". it was a mural of all in attendance at the last maple leaf Stanley cup game at maple leaf gardens. Guess what... not everyone loved the backdrop because everyone was white. I dont even know if the backdrop made it a season before being changed. Thats the thing... it can change.. internet voice your outrage!!!!

lol, outrageous take. Turned the game on, thought, "oh, different look", and then got used to it by the next inning. You clearly aren't a fan, or are looking to be cynical, if you stopped watching because the premium club wall was a stone grey color.

Calgarian here, been to a few games over the years....all told I think they did a great job! Fresh, color scheme is clean. Compared to other domed parks, it's basically now in the same ballpark, pun intended.

I love when people say "I'm not fan" cause I don't like the new look..lol!!! You realize 2 other people posted this before me...lol. "He must not be fan a, he doesn't like how home plate now looks after the reno's"....lol.

Last edited:
As a platinum member of my beloved Ignore List for the past 3 years, this forum member has earned a valuable gift (custom keyboard).

social-media-trolls.jpg

Link

Not going to be able to sleep tonight. A guy I've never met or never talked to on Urban Toronto has me on his "Ignore list".

I love when people say "I'm not fan" cause I don't like the new look..lol!!! You realize 2 other people posted this before me...lol. "He must not be fan, he doesn't like how home plate now after the reno's"....lol.
You haven’t been a real fan since leaving exhibition stadium.

You haven’t been a real fan since leaving exhibition stadium.

Ha! Love this. My subjective opinion of the stadium dictates my loyalty to the team....lol. Seeing as you like the stadium so much, that must mean your some kind of superfan. I'm talking Nav Bhatia category.

I love your posts Mark.

Last edited:

Back