Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

They don't open the roof till around the end of May.

It was open for almost an entire week straight last year between April 12th thru April 16th. I was at 2 of those games and from memory it was couple of degrees warmer than today but still, it is a shame. it is closed today, it must be right at their threshold to open it

It was open for almost an entire week straight last year between April 12th thru April 16th. I was at 2 of those games and from memory it was couple of degrees warmer than today but still, it is a shame. it is closed today, it must be right at their threshold to open it

Yes, last year was really hot out. I think the roof should stay open all the time, unless it's raining out. But from i heard, most of the players are from warm countries. They don't like playing in cool weather. And when you're paying players almost 20 milion a year. Rogers Centre owners are going to listen to what they have to say.

I love when people say "I'm not fan" cause I don't like the new look..lol!!! You realize 2 other people posted this before me...lol. "He must not be fan a, he doesn't like how home plate now looks after the reno's"....lol.
Well, i believe your exact words were you didn't plan on watching many games anymore because you don't like how the club section and wall look, lol. By any measure of sports fandom, that's an opinion of someone who isnt actually a fan.

Watched again last night, on TV the place looks brand new! Wish i lived in the area to enjoy it!

Well, i believe your exact words were you didn't plan on watching many games anymore because you don't like how the club section and wall look, lol. By any measure of sports fandom, that's an opinion of someone who isnt actually a fan.

Watched again last night, on TV the place looks brand new! Wish i lived in the area to enjoy it!
Yeah you know I had to stop watching the nba in season tournament games because the court was so distracting. But don’t worry. I’m a real fan.

I didn't find it quite as bad the last few games. I don't think it was due to me getting used to it. Kind of seemed like they toned down the advertising on the backstop wall and not quite as bright. Maybe they altered the lighting a bit.

Last edited:

yeah I was wondering the same thing. I could be wrong but I thought it had something to do with the fact that a few days before the home opener it was already warm, and before it for the first time of the season, a certain amount of time at certain degrees need to pass. I thought it was something like that but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Yes, last year was really hot out. I think the roof should stay open all the time, unless it's raining out. But from i heard, most of the players are from warm countries. They don't like playing in cool weather. And when you're paying players almost 20 milion a year. Rogers Centre owners are going to listen to what they have to say.

While the teams do have some say in roof status, this isn't the reason why it's closed this time of year (barring higher temperatures and earlier testing). It's because if they open it and the temperature suddenly drops they run the risk of not being able to close it and damaging the mechanisms:
"The colder weather meant that the roof could not begin its required testing until recently. Since the dome is sealed through the winter, testing of the roof can’t begin until all the snow and ice have melted. The mechanical parts that allow the roof to open and close contract in the cold, so consecutive warm-weather days of roughly 10C or higher are required before testing can begin.
“At around 10 degrees, if we were to open the roof, and the temperature then dropped, we risk not being able to close it,” Stephen Brooks, the Jays’ senior vice-president of business operations, told the Star back in 2012."

Out of curiosity, do other domed stadiums in the league have this problem?
I took a quick look at a couple of examples (the only comparable ones I think are Milwaukee and Seattle, the rest are in the south I think and I am too lazy to look into all 7 or however many there are).

For the stadium in Milwaukee it is pretty much based on temp 63 Fahrenheit/17.2 Celsius so yesterday it would have been open unless there was a breeze off Lake Michigan or other factors but it seems more to do with fan comfort than other factors. They go into more detail here - https://www.mlb.com/news/brewers-ballpark-roof-opened-or-closed

For Seattle, the roof actually is more like an umbrella so temperature doesnt really come into it, it is all to do with rain - https://www.mlb.com/news/t-mobile-park-roof-and-rain-history

Edit - deleted my reply because Jago above said pretty much exactly what I said while I was looking for a link 😂

I took a quick look at a couple of examples (the only comparable ones I think are Milwaukee and Seattle, the rest are in the south I think and I am too lazy to look into all 7 or however many there are).

For the stadium in Milwaukee it is pretty much based on temp 63 Fahrenheit/17.2 Celsius so yesterday it would have been open unless there was a breeze off Lake Michigan or other factors but it seems more to do with fan comfort than other factors. They go into more detail here - https://www.mlb.com/news/brewers-ballpark-roof-opened-or-closed

For Seattle, the roof actually is more like an umbrella so temperature doesnt really come into it, it is all to do with rain - https://www.mlb.com/news/t-mobile-park-roof-and-rain-history
This is a meaningful point for debate....would the Jays draw 30k and 22k at games 2 & 3 if was open air, or with roof but not an enclosed (like seattle)? I'd say no. With 81 games at home, I'd hazard to guess most fans are less inclined to buy midweek tickets in those first 3 weeks of season when its wet and 6-12*C. Look around league so far, VERY empty midweek parks due to the cold. So for the Jays to build anything but a new, retractable, enclosed park....would probably be a move in the wrong direction from a business perspective. Just, ya know, build one with some glass and sunlight :):)

Back