Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Welcome to UT! Most Torontonians still call it SkyDome or "The Dome".

I find it funny that your two favourite teams are the only two that have each opened two brand new stadiums since SkyDome was opened.
You're forgetting about quite a number of ballparks: Busch Stadium (St.Louis), Comerica Park (Detroit), Minute Maid Park (Houston), Chase Field (Arizona), Nationals Park (Washington), LoanDepot Park (Miami), Cityfield (New York), Progressive Field (Cleveland), American Family Field (Milwaukee), Target Field (Minnesota), PNC Park (Pittsburgh), Great American Ball Park (Cleveland), Yankee Stadium (New York), Oracle Park (San Francisco), Petco Park (San Diego), T-Mobile Park (Seattle), Coors Field (Colorado).

I think @marcus_a_j means the teams have opened TWO new stadiums since the Jays were founded. Braves with Turner Field and Truist Park and Rangers with the ballpark in Arlington and Globe Life Field.

You're forgetting about quite a number of ballparks: Busch Stadium (St.Louis), Comerica Park (Detroit), Minute Maid Park (Houston), Chase Field (Arizona), Nationals Park (Washington), LoanDepot Park (Miami), Cityfield (New York), Progressive Field (Cleveland), American Family Field (Milwaukee), Target Field (Minnesota), PNC Park (Pittsburgh), Great American Ball Park (Cleveland), Yankee Stadium (New York), Oracle Park (San Francisco), Petco Park (San Diego), T-Mobile Park (Seattle), Coors Field (Colorado).
No, I said teams that have opened TWO new stadiums since SkyDome was opened. Texas opened Rangers Ballpark in Arlington in 1994 and Globe Life Field in 2020. Atlanta opened Turner Field in 1997 and Truist Park in 2017. Other than those, all the other new stadiums you mentioned are still in use.

I think @marcus_a_j means the teams have opened TWO new stadiums since the Jays were founded. Braves with Turner Field and Truist Park and Rangers with the ballpark in Arlington and Globe Life Field.
Correct, though it was since the SkyDome was opened in 1989, staying on the theme of new ballparks. Even Exhibition stadium wasn't new, just repurposed to accommodate the Jays.

You know, now that you mentioned that, I also find it strange, too. But there were reasons why Truist Park and GlobeLife Field were built, and I don’t knock the Rangers for doin’ that, but with the Situation with how Choctaw Stadium and GlobeLife Field seemed like a wasted load of money.

Our Summers are brutal down here, and knowin’ that, the Rangers had their Stadium without a roof was just a horrible mistake of Engineering. But for them to spend money and be “Cheaper” to build GLF, when they should’ve just added a roof was just a complete waste of money, in my honest opinion, but they managed to get it done. And now, Choctaw is home of a CFL/XFL Team and Headquarters of Six Flags. Which I also find weird as well, 😂
Thanks for this. I don't have any knowledge of the reasons why new stadiums were built, just find it funny how some teams go through stadiums like their old clothes while others prefer to renovate/upgrade.

The Jays may have gone a different direction here with half a billion dollars from the city to build a new ballpark. Public dollars is the different between renovations, a bare bones stadium or, a architectural statement.

Thanks for this. I don't have any knowledge of the reasons why new stadiums were built, just find it funny how some teams go through stadiums like their old clothes while others prefer to renovate/upgrade.
Anytime! And I get what you’re talkin’ about. Some NFL, and NBA teams did that back in the day, and I would always find it hilarious, especially when they weren’t even that old at all.

Some stadiums/arenas built in the 90s had been surprisingly knocked down, but I would never know why. Is it due to the Environment? Weathering? Bad Installation with the wires, etc? I don’t know, but if it stood for more than 30+ Years, then I guess it did its job, but to me in my eyes, it’s still a decent build that can just use minor to major renovation/upgrades.

Though the original reply was referring to the two MLB clubs that moved twice since 1989, you forgot to mention the ballpark that changed what new ballparks were expected to be: Oriole Park at Camden Yards.

Correct, though it was since the SkyDome was opened in 1989, staying on the theme of new ballparks. Even Exhibition stadium wasn't new, just repurposed to accommodate the Jays.

You can probably add a third to that as it looks like White Sox are getting a new stadium.

Though the original reply was referring to the two MLB clubs that moved twice since 1989, you forgot to mention the ballpark that changed what new ballparks were expected to be: Oriole Park at Camden Yards.
That's very true, one of the (if not the finest) ballparks in the MLB.

The Jays may have gone a different direction here with half a billion dollars from the city to build a new ballpark. Public dollars is the different between renovations, a bare bones stadium or, an architectural statement.
I think even with public money they are committed to the location and couldn’t find a better piece of property.

When it came to the Texas Rangers, I believe they simply wanted to play in a domed stadium, given how hot it gets in the summer. With the Braves, I think they just built in the wrong part of the city, and weren't able to get money from the city to renovate the stadium and surrounding area.

When it came to the Texas Rangers, I believe they simply wanted to play in a domed stadium, given how hot it gets in the summer. With the Braves, I think they just built in the wrong part of the city, and weren't able to get money from the city to renovate the stadium and surrounding area.
Even worse, neither the Rangers nor the Braves play in a stadium with convenient public transit access as neither DART Light Rail nor MARTA Heavy Rail (i.e., Atlanta's subway system) reach anywhere near the respective stadiums.

This exactly the reason the Rangers got a new stadium. In the summer it was just to hot. Having that said, the new stadium looks like crap. I would have tried to make in similar to the old one but with a roof and AC.

Back