Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

The turf at the Dome is about as patchy as our sidewalks. Is it that difficult to make it look more uniform (blended)?

I don't think the new stuff that was installed last year looked patchy at all. The turf they used prior to last year was very patchy though. The new stuff looked pretty uniform to me. The only thing I noticed was that the seams in the turf are noticeable while watching on tv.

The above photo in post #207 shows where the football field would be. The end result should not look obvious where the football field would be. Perhaps it could be Photoshopped to make it less obvious.
One end zone would be out where centre field is (where the black tarp is) and the other is behind home plate. The lower bowl seats split open behind home plate and rotate out in order to open up sufficient space behind home plate for the end zone.

https://twitter.com/sbrooksbaseball?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 2.20.24 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 2.20.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 2.20.24 PM.png
    776.7 KB · Views: 3,799
I think it's great that they are putting in a dirt infield and that they are studying the possibility of a grass outfield.

What I don't get is how this would effect trade shows and concerts.

Do you drop in a temporary floor? or do you have a concrete floor and bring in pallets of grass for ball games?

Or do you let the traffic trample the grass?

This stadium won't work financially without the ability to have other revenue generating shows - how do other stadiums handle this?

I think it' great that they are putting in a dirt infield and that they are studying the possibility of a grass outfield.

What I don't get is how this would effect trade shows and concerts.

Do you drop in a temporary floor? or do you have a concrete floor and bring in pallets of grass for ball games?

Or do you let the traffic trample the grass?

This stadium won't work financially without the ability to have other revenue generating shows - how do other stadiums handle this?

Same thing every other baseball or soccer stadium does and lay out some protective covering over the grass.

Roger Centre doesn't really host anything that other baseball, football or soccer stadiums don't host as well.

I am guessing the auto show no longer uses the stadium as overflow exhibit space? any idea when that stopped (I am not a regular auto show attendee)?

I am guessing the auto show no longer uses the stadium as overflow exhibit space? any idea when that stopped (I am not a regular auto show attendee)?

Very very few trade shows take place at the Rogers Centre anymore. The Auto show as you mentioned stopped using it around 2008 (I estimate as it was during the "mini depression" so could be anywhere from 2008-2011). Other shows that still come to the Rogers Centre (calendar of events available here are Disney on ice, Monster Jam, the odd big concert, and supercross all happen during the baseball off season. So I imagine time would be allowed to regenerate the grass after any damage that might have been caused, they might even actually lay down new grass at the beginning of every season.

Very very few trade shows take place at the Rogers Centre anymore. The Auto show as you mentioned stopped using it around 2008 (I estimate as it was during the "mini depression" so could be anywhere from 2008-2011). Other shows that still come to the Rogers Centre (calendar of events available here are Disney on ice, Monster Jam, the odd big concert, and supercross all happen during the baseball off season. So I imagine time would be allowed to regenerate the grass after any damage that might have been caused, they might even actually lay down new grass at the beginning of every season.
thanks...I was only thinking auto show because, well, it is on now and so is the construction so (being the genius I am) I thought "gee, I guess they don't use the stadium anymore" ;)

Too bad because I used to love the annual pointing out of how stupid the design of the skywalk was

Any news on exterior renovations? The last I remember was that they had confirmed building a fan square with a big screen on the west side of the stadium. There was also talk about opening up some of the stadium's external walls. Finally, there was confirmation that the roof panels were at the end of their life and would probably be replaced with something translucent or transparent.

In his interviews so far Shapiro hasn't mentioned any of those things.

In his interviews so far Shapiro hasn't mentioned any of those things.

Yeah and probably nothing will be announced until next year at least. The dirt infield/real grass was a project left behind from the AA/Paul Beeston years, and I doubt any planning has been done for anything else other than preliminary planning. Shapiro has said he is going to take some time to get to know the organization, operation, etc and then will plan anything if he feels necessary.

Now that it is going to be a baseball only facility (with to odd show) I think the next project is going to be to replace the seats, and while doing that adjust the alignment so that sightlines are better.

Back