Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Any news on exterior renovations? The last I remember was that they had confirmed building a fan square with a big screen on the west side of the stadium. There was also talk about opening up some of the stadium's external walls. Finally, there was confirmation that the roof panels were at the end of their life and would probably be replaced with something translucent or transparent.
With a translucent or transparent roof, it would be easier to grow grass during the offseason, especially given Toronto's climate.

It would also allow fans to view the CN Tower during an overcast or rainy day.

Last edited:
I can't imagine glass will be used. It's far too heavy. Some sort of acrylic or another composite material similar in weight to the existing panels (or lighter) will need to be selected, otherwise they'll have to rebuild the roof support system.

I can't imagine glass will be used. It's far too heavy. Some sort of acrylic or another composite material similar in weight to the existing panels (or lighter) will need to be selected, otherwise they'll have to rebuild the roof support system.

ETFE - see the Vikings' new US Bank Stadium:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Bank_Stadium

It being Rogers, don't be surprised if they use Crown Glass and call it world class.

AoD

seems that is an alternative to a retractable roof...since we already have one of those, is this even possible/feasible?

seems that is an alternative to a retractable roof...since we already have one of those, is this even possible/feasible?

I don't see why it would be a major issue. If anything ETFE pillow is probably even more benign from a loading perspective on the roof compared to what's there now.

AoD

I don't see why it would be a major issue. If anything ETFE pillow is probably even more benign from a loading perspective on the roof compared to what's there now.

AoD
I wasn't talking from a loading perspective...I was talking from a costing perspective. At the time of building a new stadium, the folks in Minny want a way to bring in natural light....they choose ETFE because it is much cheaper than building a retractable roof stadium. So on bright, sunny, dry days they have natural light. On gloomy, dark, wet, dismal days they see the gloomy, dark, dismal sky too (I guess) but that is not what they are looking for. So they get the light on the good days at a lower cost.

Not clear why someone who already has the ability to get natural light on bright, sunny, dry days by opening their roof would go to the trouble/cost of installing these....so that they can also see the sky on the dark, gloomy, dismal days?

Not clear why someone who already has the ability to get natural light on bright, sunny, dry days by opening their roof would go to the trouble/cost of installing these....so that they can also see the sky on the dark, gloomy, dismal days?

It has more to do with sunny days that are below 10-15c when they don't want to open the dome. Also, I'd think even on rainy days there would be some noticeable natural light coming through.

^Dome works fine above 10 degrees......if they are keeping the roof closed between 10 and 15 it is likely because people inside are more comfortable/happy with it closed ;)

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/tor/ballpark/roof_operation_guidelines/index.jsp

that aside, it is a lot of money to meet pretty niche circumstances. Not saying that if you were building today it would not be a good option.....but retrofitting it for those circumstances seems a flawed business model.

Hard time believing the roof right down to its innermost sheathing is end of life. I'm curious if the steel sheathing adds any rigidity to the frame. Can it even be removed?

Last edited:
I wasn't talking from a loading perspective...I was talking from a costing perspective. At the time of building a new stadium, the folks in Minny want a way to bring in natural light....they choose ETFE because it is much cheaper than building a retractable roof stadium. So on bright, sunny, dry days they have natural light. On gloomy, dark, wet, dismal days they see the gloomy, dark, dismal sky too (I guess) but that is not what they are looking for. So they get the light on the good days at a lower cost.

Circumstances are different in Minny than in TO but my understanding is that the replacement of the current roof panels with something like ETFE would have more to do with facilitating grass growth during inclement/colder weather than catering to fans' game day preferences. If grass growth is even possible that is.

https://twitter.com/sbrooksbaseball/status/712323814110138368

OGaxYhO.png

hHTgWdk.png

PYEqHEO.png

I'm looking forward to seeing the turf in with the new infield dirt all done up for baseball in a week or two. It should go a long way in making the Rogers Centre feel more like a ballpark. Looks like they also put a new Westjet sign up in the outfield with the newer Westjet logo.

All photos courtesy https://twitter.com/sbrooksbaseball

Coming along quite nicely I'd say. Those mounds behind the infield are Pennsylvania clay that will be laid onto the current sand layer. A soil conditioner will then be added on top of this clay. That will be the actual playing surface.

Cef0qQJWsAA2EjH.jpg:large

For anyone wondering, the turf will tuck underneath the dirt to prevent a pronounced lip effect between the two surfaces, as per below image. That said, can't wait until April 8th to see the new field in action.

CeQAXkKW8AYlqJj.jpg

It's great to see that they're reno'ing here, but I gotta say...I was at the Dome this past fall, as I had the good fortune of catching one of the playoff games. It's dark, cavernous, and entirely un-intimate.

I was there dozens of times as a kid, but coming back as an adult, especially with its roof closed, I was pretty nonplussed.

Back