Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

If the aquarium is Ripley's Aquarium then this aquarium is going to be really successful. The two Ripley's Aquariums is among the the most popular and highly attended aquariums in the United States.
It is a first class aquarium.

Last edited:
Yeah, and I suppose they said that about Medieval Times back in the 90s. And since Medieval Times is still running, I suppose they were right...

No one was predicting that Olympic Spirit was going to be successful (except the press releases from those involved).

Nope! Send this packing like the rest of the ill-devised plans that have come before. I understand that the CN Tower is a tourist attraction, but unlike Ripley's Aquariums, it is not an amusement park. I think that we should be celebrating this structure with something that dignifies it, not degrades it to something akin to being on the Wasaga strip.

Furthermore, there is no architecture here. This building has been pulled out of a catalogue and and placed essentially regardless of context, siting etc., on the plot of land beside the tower. This isn't even a case of back to the drawing board, but rather a case of "goodbye, and thanks for showing up."

p-diddle dee

Agreed, this is ridiculous.

If the aquarium is Ripley's Aquarium then this aquarium is going to be really successful. The two Ripley's Aquariums is among the the most popular and highly attended aquariums in the United States.
It is a first class aquarium.

I disagree. This would be a third rate aquarium just like the Ripley s Aquariums in Gatlinburg TN and Mrytle Beach. An example of a first rate Aquarium is the Aquarium of Georgia in Atlanta which is easily 5X the size of what is proposed here. There simply isn't enough land at the foot of the CN Tower to build anything world class and if built it would greatly take away from the appreciation of the CN Tower from its base. A city can only support one Aquarium so if we are going to build one lets make sure it is on par with the worlds best. I really hope this proposal fails.

I think that we should be celebrating this structure with something that dignifies it, not degrades it to something akin to being on the Wasaga strip.

Furthermore, there is no architecture here. This building has been pulled out of a catalogue and and placed essentially regardless of context, siting etc., on the plot of land beside the tower.

I dont know about that, beats out a patch of grass that has sat empty for the past 25 years,:eek: the Rogers Centre and Air Canada Centre arent great, but then again are attractions that generate much needed money for this cash strapped city. Hey we may not even be around if we are to wait for the perfect development for the base of the CN Tower...i say if they want to build, go for it .:)

I disagree. This would be a third rate aquarium just like the Ripley s Aquariums in Gatlinburg TN and Mrytle Beach. An example of a first rate Aquarium is the Aquarium of Georgia in Atlanta which is easily 5X the size of what is proposed here. There simply isn't enough land at the foot of the CN Tower to build anything world class and if built it would greatly take away from the appreciation of the CN Tower from its base. A city can only support one Aquarium so if we are going to build one lets make sure it is on par with the worlds best. I really hope this proposal fails.

World class eh... name me anything in Toronto that is World Class.:rolleyes:

Here are some pics of some nice ones around the world...http://opentravel.com/blogs/the-worlds-most-impressive-aquariums/

Thanks for the link.

This one is indeed the best I've seen in my travels around the world:

travel-blog-magazine-654_3.jpg

The Lisbon Oceanarium is divided into four distinct sections, representing the four great oceans of the world.

It's beautifully designed -- inspired by Portugal's history of sailing ships. The venue is easy to navigate and the institutional and research component of the aquarium is second to none.

We should aspire for an aquarium that displays and researches marine life in Canada's waters including the Pacific, Atlantic and Arctic oceans and our many fresh water lakes.

A white opaque glass iceberg inspired building on Lake Ontario would be the perfect anchor attraction to our new Eastern waterfront and would be something uniquely Canadian.

The Ripley's Aquariums are very popular. They are among the most attended in the US. The exhibits are Fun and Educational at the same time.

World class eh... name me anything in Toronto that is World Class.:rolleyes:

For 2010 let's all agree, once and for all time, to expunge the vile term " world class " in association with anything about Toronto. However, it's only the most petulant Toronto-haters that deny the city it's laurels. The quote above implies there's not much remarkable about Canada either, since it's most dynamic city is such a mediocrity.

Back