News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 656     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 305     0 

Toronto Regional Board of Trade Regional Rail Report

I thought GO was more substantially subsidized than the ttc. It’s relevant because there should be a question of whether it is sustainable or not.

GO ticket average is closer to $10 vs the TTCs $3. When presented on a per-trip basis (which they often are) GO is considerably higher.

That said, TTC has a number of things packaged as capital items which for most transit agencies would be under day-to-day maintenance (operations budget). When you combine SOGR + operations together TTC subsidy climbs considerably; subways only last 100 years with ~$4M/km annual in maintenance.

Last edited:
That said, TTC has a number of things packaged as capital items which for most transit agencies would be under day-to-day maintenance (operations budget).
Could you explain what the TTC has packaged under capital items that Metrolinx does not? I'm curious, because, looking at the 2019-202 Business Plan, Metrolinx:
  1. Does not include equipment or system upgrades in operational expenses
  2. Includes labour and benefits (30%) in the operating budget,
  3. Includes "Facilities and tracks", i.e. rent, property taxes, hydro, winter maintenance and other facility repairs (13%)
  4. Includes "Equipment maintenance", i.e. support services, inventory, inspections and yard operations (11%)
  5. Includes "Supplies and services", i.e. all types of professional services, bank fees, staff development and advertising (11%)

Could you explain what the TTC has packaged under capital items that Metrolinx does not? I'm curious, because, looking at the 2019-202 Business Plan, Metrolinx:

I don't know if Metrolinx does those tricks or not. Equipment & maintenance is quite different in a P3 configuration (fee-for-service, so wholly operations) vs. in-house (mix of capital for the buildings/land/hardware and operations for staff).

Historically, it's been a concern when comparing to fare-box recovery rates with Montreal, NY, Paris, etc.

The best example is escalator maintenance. Where most agencies either contract out an fixed-fee annual service contract (with reliability targets) or hires maintenance staff directly (who buy parts on an as-needed basis); TTC instead has small teams for cleaning and small repairs then has a large mid-life rebuild program which bundles dozens of escalators together into a single capital project which is tendered out.

Since SOGR capital dollars flow easier at TTC than operations dollars, they've found ways of shifting some annual operations costs into the SOGR budget. It's ironic that a few years ago Tory purchased buses in a capital-from-current program which did the exact opposite (purchased buses via the operations budget to prevent them from showing as capital debt).

The actual budgets are thousand page books and the specific line-items matter for partial-budget (operating only) subsidy comparisons. TTC buys buses, bus garages, etc. (capital items) and hires a driver (operations) but York Region pays TTC for bus service (wholly an operations expense; $130 per service hour or something). Comparing TTC and York operations subsidy isn't comparing the same thing, York's operation subsidy includes payments on a bus via the TTC service fee.

Airlines do this all the time. When they buy an aircraft it's a capital item they take on debt for. If they sell that aircraft and purchase flight services from that 3rd party (they pay for the aircraft and flight-crew), now it's an operations item with no debt. Usually it makes no difference to profitability BUT fare-box recovery rate only looks at the operations part of the equation.

Last edited:
And what makes you say that? I don't want to be stuck in the car in traffic, I want to be able to get to where I need to as quickly as possible and as efficiently as possible. If that means using the car then it means using the car. If it means taking a train, then it means taking a train. The reason why I'm a big advocate for elevated rail, subways, and GO RER is because I believe that they are our best tool for offering transit that is competitive with the car, something that would actively make me reconsider using the car the next time I take a trip downtown. In the case of GO RER, perhaps this is only because GO passes by somewhere where I live, but based off the promises Metrolinx has made (and I do want to specify the word promises since its entirely possible RER underdelivers), its entirely reasonable for me to never need to drive to downtown again, and to only drive to my local GO station where I take the train downtown, because based off the published time schedules and travel times, it would be a trip that is genuinely competitive with car travel times even outside of congested rush hours. The reason why I rag on LRT so much especially in suburbs isn't because I'm a car driver who doesn't want lanes taken away but because LRT isn't something I want to sit on to get where I need to go. If I wanted to get stuck behind red lights and stop every 300m for a stop I'd drive my car or take the bus. LRTs are far too slow to be an effective mode of transport for suburbs, and the only thing it would be effective in is having non suburbanites pat themselves on the back and proclaiming how they brought transit to suburbs, without thinking about whether or not this is useful for the community you're bringing it to. Do you know why I advocate for elevated rail? Because its the best of both worlds. It offers the seemless and *mostly* disruption free trips that a subway does, but does it while costing a lot less, and it offers having interesting views to look at when you're riding on it and looking out the window. If you want to reduce the car lanes on a major street to allow for elevated rail like on Eglinton, I honestly do not care, because elevated rail is a good alternative to cars, and having fast grade separated rail reduces my need, and the need of the people in my community lower or middle class to use their cars and get on trains.
Whether you advocate for transit or not is irrelevant to the point that you want highways to be free even if there's far more demand to use them than supply, manifesting as gridlock. You assert that tolls would be unfair, but by that token, parking should be free downtown until we have perfect transit to every corner of the city. We will never have perfect transit. So free parking downtown makes it impossible for find a parking spot, everyone just circles around looking to park. It's madness. A highway that is free but averages 30 kph is worthless and is actively harmful to the economy of the city. We are better off having a highway network that flows, with tolls just high enough to avoid gridlock most days and keep speeds up. The bonus is that the revenue from that can fund alternatives to highways that should keep congestion and the necessary level of tolls needed to achieve it in check.

You have incredibly bizarre notions of fairness. You think highways should be free, the angels from heaven should bequeath upon us a transit system fit enough to serve every trip before even considering imposing a toll. It comes across as concern trolling.

Why fight fire with fire though? Instead of enacting punishment on drivers, why not push harder for the former to not be okay? Not to mention it feels like the amount of bike lanes, bus lanes, and pedestrian paths going up is far larger than the amount of them getting removed, especially in Old Toronto. You look at streets like Bay, Bloor, Richmond, and Danforth, which had their lanes reduced from 4 lanes to 2 in favour of wider sidewalks and bike lanes, heck even Yonge Street is going to be completely pedestrianized and cars will be removed, so where are these bike lanes being removed? Some fringe in Scarborough?
It's not punishment. You sound like a soviet commissar saying it is unfair to charge money for bread just because the supermarket shelves are empty.

Fast, affordable, and frequent regional rail has gained traction because it reflects today's current commuting patterns and lifestyle choices.

Certainly, they MUST be connected by a robust local transit system to realise the full potential of the system but their need is growing and will continue to do so faster than local transit. This is because this policy wonk idea of a '15 minute commute' is dreamt up by planners and politicians who don't live in the real world and make a crap load more money than the average citizen.

The 15 minute commute may work for one person but now that 2 working persons in the family are the norm, that 15 minutes for one person may result in an hour for the other. We also change jobs far more frequently than we use to even a generation ago but that doesn't mean people can {or want to} move every time they change jobs. Also, in expensive cities like Toronto, living 15 minutes within your place of employment is a pipe dream that most families cannot engage in especially when they work in downtown areas or better off suburbs...............just because you get a job in a nice area doesn't mean you can afford to live there. Minimum wage, government/hospital/factory/school wages are not any higher in Downtown or Oakville than they are in Dresden or Orangeville.

Due to these work patterns and income realities, speed is of the essence if you want to get people out of their cars and this is where regional rail shows it's strength offering a superior and fast commute at a fraction of the cost of traditional rapid transit.
I think you are confusing the idea of a '15 minute community' where most of your everyday tasks can be done within a 15 minute walk of your home, something that is frequently suggested in planning circles, and a '15 minute commute', which I have never heard of before as even being a thing. Not even possible outside of very small cities.

Last edited:
The 15 minute commute is based upon the premise of the 15 minute community. The 15 minute community refers to an area where you can live and basically all daily needs are met within a 15 minute walk. The 15 minute commute is sort of a bastardisation of this {think HSR vs HFR or pedestrian friendly vs transit friendly} where, one should be able to get to one's place of work within about 15 minutes of NON-driving time ie walk, bike, or transit.

It's not punishment. You sound like a soviet commissar saying it is unfair to charge money for bread just because the supermarket shelves are empty.
No its unfair to say that because a small group of a populace is acting like jerks, that its fair to want to enact revenge on all of them.

Whether you advocate for transit or not is irrelevant to the point that you want highways to be free even if there's far more demand to use them than supply, manifesting as gridlock. You assert that tolls would be unfair, but by that token, parking should be free downtown until we have perfect transit to every corner of the city. We will never have perfect transit. So free parking downtown makes it impossible for find a parking spot, everyone just circles around looking to park. It's madness. A highway that is free but averages 30 kph is worthless and is actively harmful to the economy of the city. We are better off having a highway network that flows, with tolls just high enough to avoid gridlock most days and keep speeds up. The bonus is that the revenue from that can fund alternatives to highways that should keep congestion and the necessary level of tolls needed to achieve it in check.

You have incredibly bizarre notions of fairness. You think highways should be free, the angels from heaven should bequeath upon us a transit system fit enough to serve every trip before even considering imposing a toll. It comes across as concern trolling.
Except that's not how it works. If there isn't good alternative to transit that doesn't involve using the highway, those people that used to use a highway don't just magically disappear. If they do get off the highway, that's because they all went to a nearby arterial road where they cause even more harmful congestion and they spend more time on their commutes, while also affecting local bus routes. If you have a massive supply vs demand problem, getting rid of the supply, or making the supply harder to reach doesn't suddenly decrease the demand, this is why, get this, you need to actually get alternatives first that can add relieve some of the demand, and now you have more freedom to limit access to that supply if you think it is harmful.

If you have a massive supply vs demand problem, getting rid of the supply, or making the supply harder to reach doesn't suddenly decrease the demand, this is why, get this, you need to actually get alternatives first that can add relieve some of the demand, and now you have more freedom to limit access to that supply if you think it is harmful.
You are familiar with the idea of induced demand, right? We're not reducing supply. That would be reducing lanes, etc. We keep the same number of lanes. In fact, highways that have low speeds have lower capacity than the same exact highway flowing at higher speeds. Tolling highways such that they can be free-flowing (80 kph+) actually creates highway capacity that is lost when they are instead operating at 20-30kph. A 10-20% increase in highway capacity.

1617759406166.png

With tolls, we are allocating supply to the most productive use (as evidenced by willingness to pay). There are alternatives to existing trips with free highways without putting in subways, too. One is carpooling. Or express/GO buses. The alternative is a tragedy of the commons we see that results in gridlock.

making the supply harder to reach doesn't suddenly decrease the demand
Yes it does. This is fundamental economics. Higher prices = lower demand*.

*Except Veblen goods.

Except that's not how it works. If there isn't good alternative to transit that doesn't involve using the highway, those people that used to use a highway don't just magically disappear. If they do get off the highway, that's because they all went to a nearby arterial road where they cause even more harmful congestion and they spend more time on their commutes, while also affecting local bus routes. If you have a massive supply vs demand problem, getting rid of the supply, or making the supply harder to reach doesn't suddenly decrease the demand, this is why, get this, you need to actually get alternatives first that can add relieve some of the demand, and now you have more freedom to limit access to that supply if you think it is harmful.

Right now road capacity on highways is "free" to drivers. Whenever something is "free", people use it excessively.

By charging to access the highway, fewer people will take it, but it will move faster (saving them time.) People who used to have no choice but to "pay" for the highway trip with time now have the option to pay money to save time. Middle class people are happy to make this trade-off. People who can't afford it either shift their journeys to other hours when the highway is less busy and the toll is cheaper, or they will shift to arterial roads (which do have extra capacity.) Either way, some demand for peak-period driving on the highway will disappear.

Whenever there is a short supply of something, economics tells us that pricing is the appropriate way to manage demand for that scarce good.

I think you make an interesting point, though. Highways are for personal vehicles, arteries are for transit. So as transit advocates we should want the highways clogged rather than traffic diverted to local roads that buses use. I guess that's where the tolling revenue being dedicated to transit comes in, though. Transit should be better off with the extra capital funding than it is worse off from the diverted traffic. And it's unlikely that all of the traffic goes to local roads, mostly it would be diverted to other times of day or eliminated through cancelled trips/carpooling.

Last edited:
These arguments really sound like a case of the "perfect being the enemy of the good", and:
  1. ignore induced demand
  2. ignore the fact that pricing something can change demand
Right now driving on roads is 'free'. We can talk about insurance, vehicle costs, etc. but for most drivers they are sunk costs - and as a result, there is very little signal to force them to change their behavior. Congestion and parking fees change behavior because they're both tied immediately to the act in question. Tolling would have the same effect.

And what makes you say that? I don't want to be stuck in the car in traffic, I want to be able to get to where I need to as quickly as possible and as efficiently as possible. If that means using the car then it means using the car. If it means taking a train, then it means taking a train. The reason why I'm a big advocate for elevated rail, subways, and GO RER is because I believe that they are our best tool for offering transit that is competitive with the car, something that would actively make me reconsider using the car the next time I take a trip downtown. In the case of GO RER, perhaps this is only because GO passes by somewhere where I live, but based off the promises Metrolinx has made (and I do want to specify the word promises since its entirely possible RER underdelivers), its entirely reasonable for me to never need to drive to downtown again, and to only drive to my local GO station where I take the train downtown, because based off the published time schedules and travel times, it would be a trip that is genuinely competitive with car travel times even outside of congested rush hours. The reason why I rag on LRT so much especially in suburbs isn't because I'm a car driver who doesn't want lanes taken away but because LRT isn't something I want to sit on to get where I need to go. If I wanted to get stuck behind red lights and stop every 300m for a stop I'd drive my car or take the bus. LRTs are far too slow to be an effective mode of transport for suburbs, and the only thing it would be effective in is having non suburbanites pat themselves on the back and proclaiming how they brought transit to suburbs, without thinking about whether or not this is useful for the community you're bringing it to. Do you know why I advocate for elevated rail? Because its the best of both worlds. It offers the seemless and *mostly* disruption free trips that a subway does, but does it while costing a lot less, and it offers having interesting views to look at when you're riding on it and looking out the window. If you want to reduce the car lanes on a major street to allow for elevated rail like on Eglinton, I honestly do not care, because elevated rail is a good alternative to cars, and having fast grade separated rail reduces my need, and the need of the people in my community lower or middle class to use their cars and get on trains.

Who ever argued for this? Seriously, who ever argued for this? I live in a location where not even in my wildest fantasies would I even dream of having a subway anywhere near my house, and I wouldn't even try to start advocating for it.

And when have I ever said anything of the sort? I have never, not once, advocated for the removal of pedestrian or cycle lanes in favour of car lanes anywhere on this forum, nor would I ever do that because that's silly and ridiculous. If you can find such a post I will eat my own words.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm pretty sure I've made it pretty clear in my Bio and in my posts where I live.

Seems kinda dumb to start. Saying you take the mode that's quickest as possible, but also most efficient as possible. These are two entirely diff metrics. And little mention of cost, particularly when talking about leaving a car downtown. Or comfort...significant numbers in the city make the choice to not drive despite time savings offered.

Then your argument that LRT isn't effective for the suburbs? I get arguing in favour of grade-separated rail, but to claim that LRT flat-out won't be effective is pretty clueless. Obviously things are a bit quieter up in Markham so you're not aware, but a significant amount of suburban corridors in Toronto are running extremely high transit volumes. You really think a proven solution has to be discarded in order to wait indefinitely for subways on these corridors? Who you speaking for? Get real.

Also still can't wrap my head around your claim that you're a supporter of elevated rail. SSE, EWLRT, YNSE, Sheppard. I read those threads. Where's that support in light of projects mostly or entirely deep tunnel? Nowhere. Seems like any "support" is specific to sections of OL, which is odd. Then the one line we have that is largely elevated and was to be beefed up/extended (Line 3)...oh right can't have that because it has a transfer. So...not really any support for elevated from you.

You are familiar with the idea of induced demand, right? We're not reducing supply. That would be reducing lanes, etc. We keep the same number of lanes. In fact, highways that have low speeds have lower capacity than the same exact highway flowing at higher speeds. Tolling highways such that they can be free-flowing (80 kph+) actually creates highway capacity that is lost when they are instead operating at 20-30kph. A 10-20% increase in highway capacity.

View attachment 311001

With tolls, we are allocating supply to the most productive use (as evidenced by willingness to pay). There are alternatives to existing trips with free highways without putting in subways, too. One is carpooling. Or express/GO buses. The alternative is a tragedy of the commons we see that results in gridlock.

Yes it does. This is fundamental economics. Higher prices = lower demand*.

*Except Veblen goods.
Right now road capacity on highways is "free" to drivers. Whenever something is "free", people use it excessively.

By charging to access the highway, fewer people will take it, but it will move faster (saving them time.) People who used to have no choice but to "pay" for the highway trip with time now have the option to pay money to save time. Middle class people are happy to make this trade-off. People who can't afford it either shift their journeys to other hours when the highway is less busy and the toll is cheaper, or they will shift to arterial roads (which do have extra capacity.) Either way, some demand for peak-period driving on the highway will disappear.

Whenever there is a short supply of something, economics tells us that pricing is the appropriate way to manage demand for that scarce good.

I think you make an interesting point, though. Highways are for personal vehicles, arteries are for transit. So as transit advocates we should want the highways clogged rather than traffic diverted to local roads that buses use. I guess that's where the tolling revenue being dedicated to transit comes in, though. Transit should be better off with the extra capital funding than it is worse off from the diverted traffic. And it's unlikely that all of the traffic goes to local roads, mostly it would be diverted to other times of day or eliminated through cancelled trips/carpooling.
These arguments really sound like a case of the "perfect being the enemy of the good", and:
  1. ignore induced demand
  2. ignore the fact that pricing something can change demand
Right now driving on roads is 'free'. We can talk about insurance, vehicle costs, etc. but for most drivers they are sunk costs - and as a result, there is very little signal to force them to change their behavior. Congestion and parking fees change behavior because they're both tied immediately to the act in question. Tolling would have the same effect.
Except that's not how Induced Demand works. Commuters aren't sims that magically appear out of nowhere to use highways if its available. Induced Demand is a result of people moving into a new location to use the new highway, or sprawl, its not this magic spell that makes new highways at capacity at day 1. Now let's say we go with your plan and make these highways tolled. Where do these commuters go? I'll tell you where they go, they clog up nearby streets. If you want proof of this, drive down the 407 during Rush hour, and look to the right (or left) and see what's happening on Highway 7. When people don't have access to a highway, they just use the next best thing. Now you might say "Transit", but... well... that's what this discussion is all about isn't it? If you want a more concrete example, imagine you live in Markham, and every day you have to drive to midtown Toronto to go to work. One day the province announces all highways are now tolled, deal with it. What are your options now? If money is tight, you can drive on side roads which are now even slower, or you can take transit which will increase your total commute time, both options significantly decrease worker productivity on a major scale which significantly effects the economy in a negative way. Let me ask you this, who does this benefit? Yes the highways are less congested, but that's because the only people who are using them are rich people who have no issue paying up, meanwhile those in more economically vulnerable positions are forced to take significantly worse commutes that decrease, and for what? Because you don't like people having free infrastructure, yes we subsidize people using cars, and maybe an argument could be made about whether or not that's the right things to do, but this has been the status quo for a long time and suddenly changing that could have serious consequences and put people in problematic positions. This is why I harp on the point of offering proper alternatives if we are to remove these options. When we deal with people's livelihoods, extra care has to be used when dealing with these issues. If you look at something small like RapidTO, look at how large the outrage was when the TTC removed some of the bus stops to make bus journeys faster on an extremely small scale, and how the TTC had to quickly reverse and reinstate a bunch of them a week after it was launched because people were negatively affected by the change.

Seems kinda dumb to start. Saying you take the mode that's quickest as possible, but also most efficient as possible. These are two entirely diff metrics. And little mention of cost, particularly when talking about leaving a car downtown. Or comfort...significant numbers in the city make the choice to not drive despite time savings offered.

Then your argument that LRT isn't effective for the suburbs? I get arguing in favour of grade-separated rail, but to claim that LRT flat-out won't be effective is pretty clueless. Obviously things are a bit quieter up in Markham so you're not aware, but a significant amount of suburban corridors in Toronto are running extremely high transit volumes. You really think a proven solution has to be discarded in order to wait indefinitely for subways on these corridors? Who you speaking for? Get real.
1) When I say LRT, I'm specifically referring to at grade median LRT, and I do so because the context of LRT in this city is Transit City which for the most part was at grade median LRT. When I say "LRT", I don't refer to stuff like the C-Train and Edmonton LRT which are in their own dedicated ROW with boom gate priority, or the O-Train which is fully grade separated (although I classify that more as a light metro with a horrible vehicle choice), I'm specifically talking about stuff like Eglinton East and Finch West. Sorry if that raised any confusion.
Also still can't wrap my head around your claim that you're a supporter of elevated rail. SSE, EWLRT, YNSE, Sheppard. I read those threads. Where's that support in light of projects mostly or entirely deep tunnel? Nowhere. Seems like any "support" is specific to sections of OL, which is odd. Then the one line we have that is largely elevated and was to be beefed up/extended (Line 3)...oh right can't have that because it has a transfer. So...not really any support for elevated from you.
Then you clearly haven't read enough of my posts.

For Eglinton West, I have stated numerous times that my ideal project for the line is Elevated on the side of Eglinton Road, and that the subway is overpriced. The only reason why I support the tunneled option is because I prefer it over the old at-grade LRT option, a lesser of 2 evils you might say. If a politician came out and had a plan for an elevated alignment that could be quickly, instant vote (unless he turns out to be a horrible person or something, I'm not that shallow). For SSE, I also have stated numerous times that my "Ideal" Project would've been a refurbishment of the RT to Mark 2/Mark 3 trains, and the Eglinton Crosstown would instead be a western extension of the Scarborough RT, with the section between Science Center and Kennedy running on an elevated viaduct. If we aren't talking about ideals, and we're talking about what's on the table right now, I support SSE simply because I think it makes more sense than the Scarborough LRT for several reasons, and while I want to say that I support an elevated SSE, I'm not a civil engineer, so I'm less confident on the feasibility of that route, whether there is enough room for a portal, and what sacrifices would have to be made to run it elevated. However I'm almost certain that if that option was presented, I'd be an instant supporter. Yonge North is the same story as SSE, but even then, we have a new cost cutting route that runs on the rail corridor to save on station construction costs, and I 100% support it (even though the single bore option would have stacked tunnels with stacked stations which would be really cool).

P.S. Scarborough LRT isn't a "beefed up" Line 3, its a technological downgrade. Its Line 3 but with worse vehicle capacity, with worse internal vehicle circulation, and would require rebuilding every station to have low floor platforms (which are objectively worse than high floor ones in this context).

Last edited:
The TDSB is closing down all schools as of tomorrow.

Same with the "free" parking at shopping malls, offices, etc.. Even though it is paid indirectly though the services or goods at those locations.

Back