Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

^^^ The little boy who fell off his bike and was killed a couple of weeks ago on the MGT near the Legion is what I am assuming is being referenced ... but that is completely separate from the new section of trail on Queen's Quay.

Perhaps I missed it earlier, but according to the June 2017 Waterfrontoronto Newsletter, the Portland slip will have an actual wavedeck soon, with construction starting before the end of the summer:

Before the completion of the Queens Quay Revitalization, there was no space for cyclists through the Central Waterfront. Between Stadium Road and Parliament Street, cyclists were forced off the existing Martin Goodman Trail (MGT) into fast-moving mixed traffic. The Queens Quay Revitalization project created a new, off-street section of the Martin Goodman Trail. Together with Queens Quay East interim improvements and the MGT West project, we now have an uninterrupted 17-kilometre multi-use waterfront trail. With the exception of one 60-metre gap at Dan Leckie Way, where the Portland Slip eats into the public right-of-way, making the space too narrow to build both a trail and a sidewalk.

The ultimate vision for this spot – a WaveDeck – would fix this pinch point, in much the same way as we’ve fixed similar narrow spaces at the Simcoe, Rees and Spadina Slips. That solution is included in both our Central Waterfront precinct plan and the City of Toronto’s proposed Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan. The plan involves building a deck over the top of the slip to create more space. At the Simcoe Slip, for instance, we created 60 metres of new waterfront land by building out over the water. Because the extension of the MGT between Spadina and Stadium Road was only approved and tendered in January 2015, there was no time to implement any such solution before the Pan Am / Parapan Am Games. We felt it was more important to open the new Martin Goodman Trail from Bathurst to Stadium Road with a less-than-perfect solution in this short area than not to open it at all.

The original project budget included the funds required to implement this solution, and we have been working to secure the necessary permits so that we can begin work on behalf of the City of Toronto. With help from Councillor Cressy’s office, we have secured the permits and are now working on the final details and approvals needed. The goal is to start construction at the Portland Slip before the end of this summer.

Oh Toronto

IMG_3214 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3214 copy.jpg
    IMG_3214 copy.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 481
Someone please tell me the City has a stock of bricks somewhere to properly repair this at some point in the near future.
Yes, they are stored at Parliament Slip on QQE. It is far better to allow the earth to settle before trying to relay bricks and probably good to do all the various repairs at same time. Hydro still have several poles to move @ Rees Street so I suspect repairs will not happen until this fall or even next spring.

Perhaps I missed it earlier, but according to the June 2017 Waterfrontoronto Newsletter, the Portland slip will have an actual wavedeck soon, with construction starting before the end of the summer:
There is certainly a sidewalk extension (Contact awarded last summer : Construction of Portland Slip – Sidewalk Extension – Somerville Construction ($191,242)) A 'real' wavedeck would almost certainly cost more than this so I am not sure.....

This is from the 2010-2012 Portland Slip presentations.

portland.JPG

Attachments

• portland.JPG
    portland.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
Is this satire?
Nope I think the granite was a waste of money. I also think it's been badly designed with the bike path and the side walk being on thew same level as well as the streetcar tracks. There needs to be something to separate the three of them form each other and the trees are not enough. Especially when it gets crowded in the summer.

They should have just used concrete instead of the brick then we wouldn't have this problem Also not as much money would have been wasted with the grante.

Um, you mean like all of the other ugly concrete sidewalks in the city? If anything, the brick is easier for utilities to remove, less disruptive to communities, less of a mess, and easier to put back. It's not a waste. The bricks just need to be put back.

This is better in your opinion?

badsidewalk.jpeg.size.custom.crop.487x650.jpg

Image from: https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto..._sumach_st_sidewalk_needs_smooth_surface.html

Back