Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Back to the topic - each day that goes by and I see/use the crappy old CLRV's is one more day that I yearn for more Flexities.
Hey, I'd like them to. But I live on the 506, which is due for conversion in 2019 ... if they get delivered on schedule, and don't opt to buy extra cars to increase the service on the other routes.

Let me emphasis that ...

... if they get delivered on schedule.

wEhuWXM.jpg

kETBcmX.jpg

mSMXsl0.jpg

Leyvt4B.jpg

3NL7CD7.jpg

VHNK4dK.jpg

2wAQ6ON.jpg

XLXuPsj.jpg

p0Yf1Xd.jpg

QqdD10J.jpg

Yeah exactly.. It's safe to expect that schedule to be delayed.

It's probably wisest to put them out of our mind for a long while :(
Oh, ye of little faith!! Of course they will all be delivered on schedule. The TTC (like Waterfront Toronto) often revise (i.e. extend) their schedules and then proudly state that a project finished 'on schedule". In 2009 they announced "The delivery plan for the 204 LRVs calls for a prototype vehicle to be delivered to the TTC in 2011. LRVs for passenger service will begin to arrive in 2012. All 204 cars will be delivered by 2018. The TTC will also require a new maintenance facility for the LRVs at an estimated cost of $345 million, which is not part of this contract. " We all know how that is going....

.. there is a notice in my buildings laundry room stating Streetcar service resumes on March 2013 :) They've laid a fair bit of the concrete roadbed today between Rees and 350 - skipping the driveways for parking lot and also 350.

Last edited:
Just don't ask him if the new streetcar tracks on St. Clair are constructed properly. :p
LOL, You mean the one built by the drunken sailor??

If they want the ROW line up and running in Oct as plan, they need to do the road work faster. You only got 3 weeks to complete the road, other than having mix traffic west of Bathurst.

Everything west of 350 still has to be done and they have yet to start on the west side of Spadina. They just started to do the work at Peter Slip bridge area.

They had haft of the concrete pour east of 350 and the other haft was ready for concrete on Sat.

To do west of Spadina requires moving traffic onto the ROW and rebuilding the road on both sides of it.

TTC should be stringing the overhead wire anytime as all the brackets are up.

Some of the platforms are not fully built and all are missing handrail except the westbound York St. York has most of its handrail in place when I saw it.

The south side has a large section of Silva cells place and bury and on schedule to be completed for July 1st 2015 official opening.

Since I have been involved with this project since 2004, the issue of activities on the waterfront during the winter months has been raised more times by both the residents, Tour operators and the BIA and has boil down to lack of funding. The same group wanted more stuff during the summer months. One thing that has been push with very little results is a play area for kids and not to be all in the same location. The Simcoe Wave Deck has turn in to one with it being used as a slide and that was never a vision as we when through the planning and design stage. It happen on the day it officially open and have videos of it happen on that day.

A lot of West 8 design work got scale back for various reason during construction due lack of fund, construction issues and interference from various city level departments.

I have yet to measure the new platforms, but they look narrower than what was to go in on the approved design
and one reason the new shelters are narrow. They were to be 3-3.5 meter wide.

I noticed a car that I see parking in the new lay by had a ticket finally as they seem to think this is free parking 7/24 for them and they can afford the cost of the ticket.

If the weather stay good, there will be not much work to be completed in 2015. I hope the trees on the south side will be older trees than the ones on the north side, as I see a few of the north side trees being replace in the next year or so.

The road from Rees Street to the Bridge has now got its first coat of asphalt so I assume traffic will be moved off the TTC tracks in that block by next week - which should allow the TTC to finish stringing the overhead and maybe doing some testing. This means that the only sections of road (north of TTC tracks) that need to be finished off are the small stretch from the bridge to the Lower Spadina loop and the stretch from Bay to east of York.

PS. This just in from the WT Weekly Notice:

Traffic Shift – Rees Street West to Lower Spadina
Last week, the base asphalt paving was completed from Rees Street west to the Peter Slip Bridge. This weekend, westbound Queens Quay traffic will be shifted to use the north lanes of the new roadway.

Fast Fence and Concrete Jersey Barrier Removals
Last week, Eastern Construction began the removal of the fast fence and jersey barriers that line the TTC right of way from the Bay Street Portal through to the Spadina Loop. This work —which is part of the final preparations for the resumption of the 509 streetcar service —will continue this week.

TTC Streetcar Testing
In advance of the resumption of the 509 streetcar route scheduled for October 12, TTC crews will begin a number of tests of the new infrastructures along the Queens Quay from the Bay Street Portal to the Spadina Loop. Streetcar testing will also begin the week of October 6.

Last edited:
Traffic was moved off the streetcar tracks this morning and they are currently setup up the copper wire for the streetcars.

3 Centre pole supports are in the process of being dug up west of Spadina and no support poles on the outside like the other ones west of them. No idea what is plan for them other than being rebuild.

The eastbound platform at Dan Leckie Way has no hand rails.

All the platforms up to Ress have handrail, shelters, but no connection to the street.

The westbound wire is up, but not connected. Eastbound is to be done on Sunday. The wires go live Oct 4.

Street lights being install at York by the tracks.

I stand to be corrected, but a small section of the road from the loop to the new pave area for the bridge stills has to be rebuilt along with the road west of Spadina.

You can see where the bike lanes are to go now for MGT east of Simcoe as well the trees between the path and tracks as well the sidewalk as the concrete has been pour in a number of areas as well west of Simcoe. East of Simcoe is more advance.

This is taking waaaaaaay too long.
The underground work certainly did take a long time - now that they are onto 'regular' road-building (and we have had good weather) it is actually moving along very fast. The new road (north of the tracks, is almost finished, the TTC tracks are all laid and it looks as though they will make their October 11 deadline for TTC service east of Lower Spadina. The MGT and sidewalk work south of the tracks is now moving fast too and it has always (at least for past year or so) been the plan that this will not be done until May 2015. Take a look at the webcam pics and go back in time, a long project, yes, but moving on quite fast.

Back