Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I walked down Queen's Quay yesterday from Bathurst and noticed a couple intersection cameras there. Thought they were a one off, till I started noticing them at every intersection heading east. Here are a few shots I took. Some intersections aren't fully covered yet in all four directions, so perhaps they still have more to put up. Wonder if these are red light cameras or just regular traffic cams.

18836128065_b9d222c83a_b.jpg

18213560014_956ea39f89_b.jpg

18213561154_de789534c0_b.jpg

18649971829_be9b0011af_b.jpg

18213563314_036321b7a5_b.jpg

18836132665_ef488828fb_b.jpg

18831052972_eb15117a91_b.jpg

18836139025_8b23fc9a08_b.jpg

18809896576_f0a4258d93_b.jpg

18215508043_cbe8013aaf_b.jpg

18809899206_f1b2492309_b.jpg

I walked down Queen's Quay yesterday from Bathurst and noticed a couple intersection cameras there. Thought they were a one off, till I started noticing them at every intersection heading east. Here are a few shots I took. Some intersections aren't fully covered yet in all four directions, so perhaps they still have more to put up. Wonder if these are red light cameras or just regular traffic cams.

Nothing special - just optic sensors to tell the traffic lights if cars are waiting.

What's the benefit of optic vs loop sensors?

I'm curious about this too - when I lived in Calgary it was almost always optic sensors. The traffic lights there are mounted sideways over the roadway - and normal when mounted to a pole with no road overhang.

What's the benefit of optic vs loop sensors?

My guess is that it simply comes down to cost and convenience.

Loop sensors are relatively cheap to install, but they get destroyed every time you resurface the road and periodically break due to freeze/thaw. Overhead detectors might save money in the long run since they cost less to maintain. This all depends on how long they last, which is a variable I don't know.

The city has been using overhead detection for many years, but previously it had only been where they are necessary: where the city doesn't own the pavement for an approach (such as southbound out of the MLG Loblaws driveway), or where loops are physically impossible (bridge expansion joints, etc).

But now it seems like overhead detection is the new standard, being used in all sorts of situations.

Last edited:
As I understand it, it simply comes down to cost and convenience.

Loop sensors are relatively cheap to install, but they get destroyed every time you resurface the road and periodically break due to freeze/thaw. The hope is that overhead detectors will save money in the long run since they cost less to maintain. This all depends on how long they last, which remains to be seen.

The city has been using overhead detection for many years, but previously it had only been where they are necessary: where the city doesn't own the pavement for an approach (such as southbound out of the MLG Loblaws driveway), or where loops are physically impossible due to expansion joints on bridges (some highway ramps, can't remember which off the top of my head).

But now it seems like overhead detection is the new standard, being used in all sorts of situations.

In Europe, they have sensors for pedestrians. If a pedestrian takes longer than normal to cross (walkers?), the pedestrian signal stays on longer. If the pedestrian clears the intersection faster (running?), it shortens the time. Also, the pedestrian don't have to press a button, it's just their presence that starts the process, like the automobiles.

Got some photos today. Overall looking good for Friday opening--MGT is now open, on schedule, from Bay to Lower Simcoe, and most of it is now fully paved with just 2 small sections having only the first layer (the stretch on the south side of the intersection with Spadina, and a small western portion of the Peter Slip Bridge which is currently in use as a pedestrian detour).

The final stretch of the MGT West Extension, from Bathurst to Stadium (consisting of moving the traffic lanes to the north side of the street, and changing the bike lanes to a bidirectional bollard-separated cycle track on the south side) is mostly complete--the only thing left is the installation of the bollards/flexi-posts in the white line to separate the track from the traffic lane:

IMG_0633.JPG

The MGT west extension is mostly complete from Yo Yo Ma to Bathurst, including line painting:

IMG_0641.JPG

MGT paving fully completed from Yo Yo Ma to Lower Spadina:

IMG_0645.JPG

MGT also now fully paved from Lower Spadina to the west side of the Peter Slip Bridge--note there is a small section between this image and the last one, on the south side of the Lower Spadina intersection between the two pedestrian crosswalk mixing zones, with only the first layer:

IMG_0647.JPG

South Side Promenade is now, as best as I could tell, complete along the entirety of the Peter Slip Bridge. I am assuming the pedestrian detour will end today (Tuesday the 16th), and they will finish paving the MGT at that point to meet the scheduled opening of this stretch tomorrow (Wednesday the 17th):

IMG_0653.JPG

MGT, and with it the entire street, open from Bay to Lower Simcoe:

IMG_0713.JPG

The MGT phased opening looks like it should have no problems proceeding on schedule to be completed on Thursday. The west extension from Yo Yo Ma to Stadium, as far as I know, was not formally stated to be included in the grand opening date of Friday the 19th but it seems that even that stretch should make it.

On another note, transit signal priority is scheduled to be fully activated over the course of today and tomorrow--fingers crossed the automatic switches at Spadina finally go live as well. Great to be in the home stretch and see it finally coming together all of a sudden!

Attachments

• IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    331.4 KB · Views: 870
  • IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 810
  • IMG_0641.JPG
    IMG_0641.JPG
    297.5 KB · Views: 878
  • IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 853
  • IMG_0713.JPG
    IMG_0713.JPG
    387.7 KB · Views: 1,358
  • IMG_0647.JPG
    IMG_0647.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 829
you are forgetting that EMS wants to use these new ROW and to do what you want, it defeats the issue they want.
I often wonder how much of a good idea it really is it looks good on paper but how particle is it. Like if streetcars are approaching at the same time an emergency vehicle wants to use one who has the right of way and as the emergency vehicle can move off of it but the streetcar cant?

I was able to ride just now from Dan Leckie to Yo-Yo Ma on the trail, then on the road to Robertson/Rees, back on the trail to York. The lights at Spadina were red in all directions for an incredibly long time.

Back