Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

You know what, I'm somewhat wrong. Sorry

From the Ontario Highway Traffic Act;

Blocking intersection

145. (1) The council of a municipality may by by-law prohibit a driver or street car operator approaching, at an intersection, a traffic control signal showing a circular green or green arrow indication from entering the intersection unless traffic in front of him or her is moving in a manner that would reasonably lead him or her to believe he or she can clear the intersection before the signal indication changes to a circular red indication. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 145 (1).

Idem

(2) A by-law passed under subsection (1) does not apply to a driver or street car operator who enters an intersection for the purpose of turning to the right or left into an intersecting highway and signals his or her intention to make the turn prior to entering the intersection. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 145 (2).

I still think it's bad form, and a big problem. At many lights, you often see 2 - 4 cars turn left on the red. Many of those are cars behind the white line.

Last edited:
You are supposed to enter the intersection when making a left turn, as it is the only way to see around the vehicle in front of you sometimes. (S-Approach, which is taught by ministry approved drivers ed courses).

You are supposed to enter the intersection when making a left turn, as it is the only way to see around the vehicle in front of you sometimes. (S-Approach).
Assuming you can reasonably assume that you can clear it successfully. Which is pretty much every time you enter an intersection if no cars already there!

Right, and that's why I called it a pseudo woonerf - drivers turning across the ROW move from a regular roadway to a sensitive mixing area in the middle of a turn and so it's not surprising that many don't handle it well. To me it looks like the driveway is part of the sidewalk...
You should do a Google image search on Woonerf. Nothing even approaches the order of magnitude of traffic that's seen on Queen's Quay. Most of them are big enough for like 1 1/2 cars and if they're two way, require some pulling over. A few are fully 2 way. QQ has two lanes of lots of traffic, a street car in both directions, a bicycle trail in both directions, what will likely be a heavy volume of pedestrians, and major streets crossing it. I don't think it's suited for the Woonerf model, pseudo or otherwise.

Anyone want to take bets on how many streetcar-vehicle collisions will be required before the city takes action? I'm in for 6.

Martin Goodman Trail Fencing
Last week, crews began the final line painting of the Martin Goodman Trail. With the completion and curing of paint, sections of fast fence will be dismantled and removed from the Queens Quay by ECCL crews. As each section opens, it will be accessible to cyclists. Signs will prompt cyclists to dismount as they approach sections of the trail that are still closed.

The schedule for this work is as follows:
  • Saturday, June 13th – Bay to York Street
  • Monday, June 15th – York to Lower Simcoe
  • Tuesday, June 16th – Simcoe to Rees Street
  • Wednesday, June 17th – Rees to Peter Slip Bridge / 401 Queens Quay
  • Thursday, June 18th – Peter Slip Bridge / 401 QQ to Yo-Yo Ma Lane

Most of the Peter St Bridge is finished with a small segment on either side being worked on today.

ng1nRqD.jpg

Meanwhile, the MGT hasn't been paved from the edge of HTO Park to west of Spadina. Indeed, most of that stretch is still a mess and far from completion.

ksIHoMd.jpg

It's crunch time and it's beginning to look like they're going to have to leave things in a temporary state for the "Grand Opening" and then come back to it before the PanAm Games begin.

Meanwhile, the MGT hasn't been paved from the edge of HTO Park to west of Spadina. Indeed, most of that stretch is still a mess and far from completion.

It's crunch time and it's beginning to look like they're going to have to leave things in a temporary state for the "Grand Opening" and then come back to it before the PanAm Games begin.

Though weather is obviously a factor, I was on QQE twice this week (Monday and Thursday) and the progress was obvious. Paving the remaining section of the MGT is a very speedy process, they have several large crews doing more brickwork and there is only any major work going on at Rees (which was held up by Hydro) and even that moved on rapidly in 3 days. It should look fine for the Grand Opening and there is still a month to go to PAG. It DID take a long time but it looks great.

I wonder if insulating Railroad crossing gates at the intersections would help with keeping cars out of the streetcar tracks when one is crossing would help?

Having RR Crossing a waste of money as well you will still have drivers trying to drive around them. Just ask the US systems that have RR crossing and how many accidents have taken place with the gates that are down at the time.

Very few cycles using the new section from Bay to York. Look nice with the fence gone.

Have a real draining problem at the driveway at Bay as a good section of the sidewalk was under water with people using the MGT to get around it.

Grand Opening not a month away, but June 19 this coming Friday at 6:00 p.m.

The best thing would be to have the track bed made of a material that is really uncomfortable to drive on. Perhaps grass? That's what the plan is for the ECLRT:

QUOTE]
[
/QUOTE]
You are forgetting that EMS wants to use these new ROW and to do what you want, it defeats the issue they want.

If we went to grass as plan on day one, it would send a clear message to most driver, but you will get some drivers driving on the grass anyway.

Martin Goodman Trail Fencing
Last week, crews began the final line painting of the Martin Goodman Trail. With the completion and curing of paint, sections of fast fence will be dismantled and removed from the Queens Quay by ECCL crews. As each section opens, it will be accessible to cyclists. Signs will prompt cyclists to dismount as they approach sections of the trail that are still closed.

The schedule for this work is as follows:
  • Saturday, June 13th – Bay to York Street
  • Monday, June 15th – York to Lower Simcoe
  • Tuesday, June 16th – Simcoe to Rees Street
  • Wednesday, June 17th – Rees to Peter Slip Bridge / 401 Queens Quay
  • Thursday, June 18th – Peter Slip Bridge / 401 QQ to Yo-Yo Ma Lane

So if I wanted to ride from Dan Leckie to Simcoe I wouldn't be able to do it until after Thursday?

Back