Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Listen. People are just plain stupid (I have a more "firm" less PG13 word to describe them). I witnessed today a driver totally clueless to a policemen directing an intersection. The driver totally froze, and didn't know what to do until police officer approached his car and started to yell at him for not following directions. I am amazed how horrible and clueless are drivers here. We wouldn't have traffic problems if we revoke licences from clueless horrible drivers...

Last edited:
These accidents have been happening along that route for years. There were frequently collisions at QQ & Rees. Yesterday I was on a Bathurst streetcar and a cab ran a stop sign in front of the streetcar, causing the driver to almost hit it. It happens everywhere, not just on the new QQ. Lots of bad drivers out there.

Yes, drivers need to not run red lights. And police officers need to ticket them when they do it.
True. But if keeps happening, then there needs to be a change to the lights, intersection, or simply banning left turns there completely (close up the turn location, the same way some were removed on Spadina after it first opened, for similar reasons).

True. But if keeps happening, then there needs to be a change to the lights, intersection, or simply banning left turns there completely (close up the turn location, the same way some were removed on Spadina after it first opened, for similar reasons).

There are several locations on Queen's Quay where people are making left turns or right turns despite them being completely prohibited.

If by closing up the turn locations you mean closing the ROW with a curb, due to the configuration of Queen's Quay that would completely seal off the driveways for the businesses/residents on the south side of the street--on Spadina that is possible with a later U turn and right turn, but on Queen's Quay closing it would preclude left turns, right turns, and even exiting traffic coming from the south side so that wouldn't work here. Honestly, in my opinion, the Spadina/St Clair right of way style makes a lot more sense than this style for many reasons, but at this point I don't think there's any way they can change it, shy of completely tearing up the street and putting it back to how it used to be, that would fix this.

Also, frankly, on Spadina there are left turn signals where you can't turn left on a red because the streetcar has a green and would t-bone you--Front, King, Queen, Dundas, College, all the major ones, and many on St Clair as well--and people don't generally run those reds. It's not actually really any different from the left turn signals down here, now that I think about it.

These accidents have been happening along that route for years.

Does that make it ok?

Why do the cops clamp down on intersections with high rates of collisions between cars but not on intersections with high rates of collisions between cars and streetcars?

No, it doesn't mean it's ok. It's just that people seem to be thinking that cars on the ROW and streetcar/collisions are new things on the new QQ, but they're not.

I don't know if people think they can just scoot in front of a streetcar or why they think they should be able to run a red (maybe a red light is just a suggestion?), but it's certainly not unique to QQ unfortunately.

In my experience, people running reds to make a left turn is one of the most common traffic violations that I witness. I see lots of people do this on a daily basis at intersections all over the GTA.

You definitely see people running reds to do a left in Brampton, less so in Mississauga, but still here as well. Brampton is the worst place for doing it I've seen.

You definitely see people running reds to do a left in Brampton, less so in Mississauga, but still here as well. Brampton is the worst place for doing it I've seen.

Pretty much anywhere outside Toronto proper the driving gets progressively worse as the roads get wider and the signal intervals get longer.
Living in Markham I can say that I doubt that anyplace is worse than here... driving at night without lights, not indicating turns, making lefts on red, alternating between doing 20 BELOW the limit, to 40 ABOVE the limit etc. etc.

I hope the new streetcars have reinforced front bumpers... you would think if this happens enough people will learn to be careful.

To be fair there are many distractions down there right now with all of the construction going on.

Back