Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

It's true that most condo and office buildings along Queens Quay are mediocre and don't contribute to a sense of place. But King's Landing is an exception--an Arthur Erickson building with a deftly terraced facade.

Pardon, a correction: I meant up to Spadina where the cobblestone Queens Quay revitalization ends. Indeed King's Landing is a wonderful building. I've always loved its terraces.

Who knows, but I too am frustrated by the fact that--and I've felt this for as long as I can remember--the vast majority of what we have on our waterfront could be demo'd tomorrow and I wouldn't miss any of it. It's unfortunate.

The main hope for me is that the revitalization will bring in so much economic activity that the market will improve the amenities and physical structures in the area. It's going to take ten or more years, though, is my guess.

I really hope that the allure of Toronto's soon to be world famous Queens Quay will motivate property owners to either redevelop their building street fronts to integrate with QQ or sell for a hefty profit and have investors build true world class buildings.

I think that all it'll take is for a few to start and their neighbours will follow. We may be seeing the beginning with the complete transformation of Maple Leaf Quay. I'm absolutely impressed with what a change of colour and windows can do to a building.

0jUQzVu.jpg

If they added a crown of some sort on each building, replaced the centre podium with a restaurant servicing a patio on the quay and demolished the parking garage, I dare say Maple Leaf Quay could become a gem.

If they added a crown of some sort on each building, replaced the centre podium with a restaurant servicing a patio on the quay and demolished the parking garage, I dare say Maple Leaf Quay could become a gem.

It'd never be a gem (that requires actual architectural excellence from the get go), but it can certainly be less of an eyesore.

AoD

Alvin, that's what I thought. I was seriously impressed today. I did a triple take. You might need to see it in person to appreciate it. Just a week ago, there weren't enough windows completed to give it the effect that I saw today. It has a gentrified warehouse look to it. The different patches of grey make no sense until the dark windows go in. It's dare I say, beautiful.

Of course, a lot of work needs to be done to integrate the podium with the slip end. Imagine the podium converted to a series of restaurants with patios surrounding the water. A statue and fountain in the middle would add to the atmosphere and make this a very desirable place to be in the warmer months.

It's true that most condo and office buildings along Queens Quay are mediocre and don't contribute to a sense of place. But King's Landing is an exception--an Arthur Erickson building with a deftly terraced facade.

Yep, solid point. Completely agree. This one is a real winner. Always thought I'd like to buy a place there one day, actually.

Walked all the way down the revitalization area again today...the MGT is fully paved now from Rees west to about halfway across the Peter Slip bridge, and has the first coat from that point west to near Lower Spadina. Pictures of the fully paved MGT west of Rees:

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

Also, the York re-signalling was done when I visited. Great news for 509/510 riders: with the new configuration the streetcar signal is green at the same time as east-west traffic! Bicycle signals are live as well. Pic showing the beautiful, unified sea of green:

IMG_0441.JPG

On a less pleasant note, the elevator at Queen's Quay station is STILL closed despite the notice still plastered on it, and on the TTC website, saying it will reopen by the end of May. It has been nonfunctional since streetcar service resumed almost 8 months ago in October 2014 and has been delayed yet again:

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0436.JPG
    IMG_0436.JPG
    439.1 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_0437.JPG
    IMG_0437.JPG
    414.3 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    405.5 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    330.3 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 568
It still disappoints me that we didn't go with a green streetcar ROW as had been originally planned. It would've broken up the wide expanse of grey that Queen's Quay suffers from.

It still disappoints me that we didn't go with a green streetcar ROW as had been originally planned. It would've broken up the wide expanse of grey that Queen's Quay suffers from.

I would rather that green be reserved for bicycles to ensure consistency and avoid confusion.

"The SALMON" are returning. I heard today from Eastern Construction that the bronze salmon that used to be outside the (now closed) Second Cup at Pier 6 are returning very soon. They said:

"The bronze fish were extracted, audited, and safely stored while we demolished the old concrete sidewalks along the York Street Slip and Pier 6 locations.
They were sent off to be “restored” (by the artist), to their original state, and are ready to be set back into their original positions in this area.

The position of each bronze fish sculpture, were accurately marked using GPS systems, and therefore will be placed in the exact locations they were originally set.
The new granite paver promenade is now complete, but there is further work, like line painting that must be completed for the Martin Goodman Trail, and intersections. Therefore, we will not place the fish, until all risk of damage can be eliminated.

We expect to place the bronze fish sculptures prior to the start of the Pan Am Games."

Walked all the way down the revitalization area again today...the MGT is fully paved now from Rees west to about halfway across the Peter Slip bridge, and has the first coat from that point west to near Lower Spadina. Pictures of the fully paved MGT west of Rees:
View attachment 47470

How much of the repaved MGT is currently bikeable/open?

I think the suggestion was that the Streetcar ROW be "green" in the sense of REAL GRASS. The green on the bike trail is paint.
I've seen this done in Amsterdam for their streetcars. It looks rather strange when you first see it, but it definitely prevents any confusion for cars as to whether they should drive on the streetcar ROW.
Long-time lurker…just decided I might start chiming in a bit.

Back