Toronto Queen & Ashbridge | 60.15m | 17s | Context Development | Teeple Architects

qa-300.jpg

As an aside, I've decided I really hate the angular step back on so many buildings. I know this is some Toronto Planning Dept BS, but damn it looks bad
Personally, I'm OK with it. I like the idea that not everything needs to be a slab-sided box. These buildings loosely reference much older architectural styles - they're rather like pyramids modded by digital glitches. Plus, with the lake in view, some of these stepped-back buildings remind me of ship's prows and hulls; it's not an unpleasant association.

In the end, I enjoy a variety of building appearances and typologies in Toronto.

I actually like the overall look and feel of this development. I also look forward to more people being in this area and the retail that will be on its way. However there is too much WHITE! I believe that the look could have been more appealing with more varied material and colour other than what's happening on the Queen E stretch.

Personally, I'm OK with it. I like the idea that not everything needs to be a slab-sided box. These buildings loosely reference much older architectural styles - they're rather like pyramids modded by digital glitches. Plus, with the lake in view, some of these stepped-back buildings remind me of ship's prows and hulls; it's not an unpleasant association.

In the end, I enjoy a variety of building appearances and typologies in Toronto.
Agreed, setbacks increase visual interest and provide more useable outdoor spaces for residents. Also with that mediocre cladding, anything that reduces the visual bulk is appreciated. That said I'm shocked to see real hand laid brick here.

Back