Toronto Quay West at Tip Top | ?m | 23s | Mattamy Homes | a—A

I'm only referring to Chow, not the people who happen to live by the waterfront.

Rendering of Quay West

quay-west-2006_r4_c2.jpg

I find the design a little lackluster for our waterfront; a simple slope in away from the lake could make this building really stand out. What ever happened to the sail design?

And the Tip Top building has magically disappeared as well (it would be right behind this building).

I like the design and I am not quite sure that I would want the potential 'kitch' elements of sail designs, wave balconies, etc. on every single waterfront building.

I like the fact that the taller slab is facing east/west as opposed to north/south.

I agree with alklay - the sail motifs have a tendency to be badly executed (Just think Riveira on QQ or the Monarch projects along the Etobicoke waterfront).

AoD

I was never really a fan of the Sail design, I just think the waterfront deserves something more then just a box design.

quay-west-2006_r4_c2.jpg

better.jpg

I like the fact that the taller slab is facing east/west as opposed to north/south.

Are you sure about that? Considering where the CN Tower is located I'd say the taller portion runs north/south.

Running north and south, and facing east and west, is the same thing.

Don't look at the background. Look at the how the building is sitting in relation to the water and path on its site.

Whistler: you do a great job of those.

I agree that some more imagination along the waterfront would be welcome, but I like Clewes' restraint and simple forms too. This building looks like it will be the clearest and glassiest of the waterfront's towers.

This would be an interesting area to have Yansong Ma design for...

The Carina and Callisto buildings in Vancouver are examples of sale shape buildings that relate to their environment without being overly schlocky. It can be done, but yes, the danger is there.

i like the sail design,and it think the podium will work well with tip top.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find an aerial view of the project plan? Will Quay West completely block off the views for the whole Tip Top Lofts building?

Back