Toronto Quay West at Tip Top | ?m | 23s | Mattamy Homes | a—A

I live in the area; yes, there are some downtrodden grassy bits as per the first photo because there are a LOT of dog owners who use those grassy bits. It's very busy along the path, particularly in nice weather. I just came in from riding, and even on a not-so-perfect spring day, there's still a lot of traffic through there.

Oh it's a decent-looking condo, but parts of the materials (paint, brick, tiles) look sloppy and or the paint is fading. It doesn't look like a luxury building. The area really needs a ton of redevelopment, roads need to be narrowed, better retail integration, more trees planted etc.

Definitely needs better retail, but which roads need to be narrowed? Lake Shore? That's not likely to happen. Stadium Road and Queen's Quay are both single lane there. I don't think the building itself was ever meant to be luxury. We had looked at it when it first went on sale and it definitely struck us as a "starter" type of building. Decent but nothing special in terms of finishes or layouts.

The building is beautifully resolved down to the last detail. And it never was positioned as a "luxury" building AFAIK. More "smart, mid-market."

Oh for its time & considering the developer's conservatism (esp pre-Picasso) it's a decent building. But is it Clewes' best? No. I also think being right on the water exposed to the wind conditions is perhaps adding to the wear and tear of the building. The neighbourhood is rather ugly and yes, those public housing projects need to be bulldozed (I am not against public housing just poor architecture) and QQ Blvd is absurdly wide (the real barrier to the waterfront imo.)

Btw, walking under the G.E. it struck me how beautiful it is & has so much potential--like create public housing, markets, retail, event spaces etc under it. Instead of thinking of it as just an elevated highway, think of it as a hangar under which many creative uses could be possible.

QQ at that end is not wide at all. Single lanes plus bike lanes. Hardly absurd.

Btw, walking under the G.E. it struck me how beautiful it is & has so much potential--like create public housing, markets, retail, event spaces etc under it. Instead of thinking of it as just an elevated highway, think of it as a hangar under which many creative uses could be possible.

We already have public housing under the Gardiner - it's called homelessness! You just want to make it official?

Back