News   Jul 22, 2024
 161     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 965     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4.1K     7 

Toronto Public Library Catch-All

Libraries are infrastructure.
At the same time I don't think it fits in quite well in this forum- it would be really great if UT gets an additional 'Public/Civic Space' subforum since that arguably is the missing element between Buildings and Infrastructure (really mostly transportation), and something that really deserves its own focus.

My review of the Albert Campbell branch:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/gif...2c0338e8e95eff563/5PQMY4ZSHZA4BGVK5DY6NFXDXM/

Originally designed by Fairfield & DuBois, the building recently got a remake by LGA Architectural Partners that retains some of its old labyrinthine complexity while adopting a new language of lightness, wood and transparency. It is one of 10 winners of 2024 design excellence awards from the Ontario Association of Architects, presented last week. The project has two clear lessons for governments everywhere: Renovation can be a powerful strategy, and hiring the right designers is crucial.

My review of the Albert Campbell branch:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/gif...2c0338e8e95eff563/5PQMY4ZSHZA4BGVK5DY6NFXDXM/

Originally designed by Fairfield & DuBois, the building recently got a remake by LGA Architectural Partners that retains some of its old labyrinthine complexity while adopting a new language of lightness, wood and transparency. It is one of 10 winners of 2024 design excellence awards from the Ontario Association of Architects, presented last week. The project has two clear lessons for governments everywhere: Renovation can be a powerful strategy, and hiring the right designers is crucial.

Alex and I fairly much in agreement here. I think a really nice job was done w/this space, and the added warmth in the interior, particularly the use of wood was critical to making the space more 'friendly/warm' while allowing the retention of the older concrete.

We also agree that the black on the exterior was not the way to go. I think Alex might have preferred the retention of the red/orange colour from the 70s; not sure, I'll confess to find that a bit dated, but would have preferred to see the use of the warm wood tones from the interior brought to the outside, to make the exterior a bit warmer in appearance. (while again retaining the concrete, but giving it a nice pairing in finish that softens it a bit.)

Update on the Bridlewood Mall branch in Scarborough

20240615_105329.jpg

Back