News   Mar 28, 2024
 104     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Toronto Police Service Reformation

Wouldn't you think that the police officers who had been sent out because of the "possible trouble" would have had some briefing on what the potential issues were, including at least a vague idea of the parties who would be expected to be present. I find it hard to fathom that they just attended at the scene because of "potential trouble" and had no more information than that.

As such, it wouldn't take a genius to figure out that you might be posing for a photo with neo-Nazis.

Because that's somehow unlikely?
If there is one person who can claims to have saw this happening I would be all ears. If this was the case the police would be next level stupid to use this cover up, so i don't believe it since all it takes is one person with a camera to blow their cover.

Personally my absolute worst(realistic) case scenario is that these police officers are fans of Goldy and decided to join the group picture. Which is somewhat bad because she is a white supremacist, at least to some level. However, police posing for photos with candidates has happened before so I am not sure anything can really be done.

As a John Tory fan, can people stop acting like Faith is a realistic mayoral candidate. She is not going to win enough votes because there is enough smoke to the white supremacy allegations that minorities will not vote for her. You are just adding to the persecution complex by literally following everything she does to attack her.

I agree that the Toronto Police Service needs to be reformed. I know from a first person account and corroborated by other police officers that the Toronto police are observing an unannounced work to rule, in effect since carding was prohibited. It's known within the ranks as FIDO — Fuck It, Drive Off. They look the other way with infractions where there is no immediate danger. Traffic enforcement has been the most affected. This can be seen in the statistics showing plummeting traffic tickets but is also visible in the sharp increase in road deaths. Drivers are realizing that they can get away with ignoring the rules of the road.

This makes it clear that traffic services should be split from TPS to become its own civilian department. Traffic Enforcement wouldn't even have to have direct interactions with drivers. They can be observers, roaming the streets on bikes with helmet mounted cameras, taking note of infractions, recording the incident and mailing tickets to drivers. The Traffic Enforcement department would also be in charge of installing traffic cameras at hot spots where infractions occur, automating the capture of those infractions.

I would like to see a new Mayor Keesmaat appoint Sloly Chief of Police and charge him with reforming the Police Service.

I agree that the Toronto Police Service needs to be reformed. I know from a first person account and corroborated by other police officers that the Toronto police are observing an unannounced work to rule, in effect since carding was prohibited. It's known within the ranks as FIDO — Fuck It, Drive Off. They look the other way with infractions where there is no immediate danger. Traffic enforcement has been the most affected. This can be seen in the statistics showing plummeting traffic tickets but is also visible in the sharp increase in road deaths. Drivers are realizing that they can get away with ignoring the rules of the road.

This makes it clear that traffic services should be split from TPS to become its own civilian department. Traffic Enforcement wouldn't even have to have direct interactions with drivers. They can be observers, roaming the streets on bikes with helmet mounted cameras, taking note of infractions, recording the incident and mailing tickets to drivers. The Traffic Enforcement department would also be in charge of installing traffic cameras at hot spots where infractions occur, automating the capture of those infractions.

I would like to see a new Mayor Keesmaat appoint Sloly Chief of Police and charge him with reforming the Police Service.

It is my understanding that FIDO has taken hold across Ontario, not just in Toronto. If you read O/Reg 58/16, it turns what used to be a fairly straightforward and simple police-public interaction into a documentational bureaucratic swamp. Whether the police in general, or a particular police service, brought this on themselves is a matter of endless debate. Take the example of some kids hanging out behind an arena at 3am. In 'previous days', a cop on patrol might stop, ask them what they are up to, taken their names, run them on the computer and moved on - the kids probably did too. If a kid gave a false name or refused to provide, and smart and sane cop would accept that since there is no legal requirement. If any crimes came in the next morning, the police had a starting point. Now, rights and responsibilities must be informed and documents given including the method to complain about the police, then the interaction is subject to command review. The amount of note-taking simply to justify the contact is significant, and I'm frankly not surprised that most cops simply don't bother.
As to your second point, I'd like to know how the proposed type of enforcement would work since the vast majority of driving offences require the identification of the driver. Heck, you could even save more money by simply having the general public be the enforcers - take a video and download a 'charge notice' from the traffic police website.

In the words of the Grime poets: whatchu mean, whatchu mean?
Communists and Nazis are products of the same pond of scum, is all.

Obviously, having police pose with neo-Nazi wanks is not a good thing. Just not sure why a communist political party feels like they can complain about state power potentially being used to oppress people.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...os-of-himself-to-victim-of-domestic-call.html

Based in 14 division, a busy downtown detachment, the officer continued with a few more texts — “apparently I’m chatty lol,” he wrote. Then, at 3:42 a.m., he sent a collage of photos of himself — one shirtless, others of him doing martial arts and a handstand at the beach.

“Sorry!!!” he then texted. “That was for someone else.”

Branton entered a joint submission on penalty alongside MacArthur’s lawyer, Gary Clewley, suggesting five days’ docked pay would be an appropriate consequence. While the officer’s actions were inappropriate and brought the integrity of the service “under fire,” he noted MacArthur had a previously “unblemished employment record.”

“I do believe he has it in him to be a productive member of this service,” Branton said.

Clewley said MacArthur’s professional evaluations indicated he was a diligent officer who worked hard and had “good relations with the public.”

“This is a one-off mistake on his part,” Clewley said.

Two mindblowing cliches in one story:
1- Sending unsolicited photos accompanied by "Sorry!!! That was intended for someone else". Are you f**king kidding me? That's the "dog ate my homework" equivalent of unwanted nudes texts. REALLY trying hard to perpetuate the dumb cop stereotype, are we?

2- There's no other profession where something like this will go so unpunished with such an overwhelming support from the employer. Just incredible. Can you imagine a lab technician at a hospital looking up the patients records and sending women creepy texts? They'd be out of the job in seconds. Yet, this received more praise than punishment. Which is trying really hard to perpetuate backwards police service stereotype.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...os-of-himself-to-victim-of-domestic-call.html

Two mindblowing cliches in one story:
1- Sending unsolicited photos accompanied by "Sorry!!! That was intended for someone else". Are you f**king kidding me? That's the "dog ate my homework" equivalent of unwanted nudes texts. REALLY trying hard to perpetuate the dumb cop stereotype, are we?

2- There's no other profession where something like this will go so unpunished with such an overwhelming support from the employer. Just incredible. Can you imagine a lab technician at a hospital looking up the patients records and sending women creepy texts? They'd be out of the job in seconds. Yet, this received more praise than punishment. Which is trying really hard to perpetuate backwards police service stereotype.

No question it was a stupid act and an equally stupid 'oops' response. I'm not sure I get the "unpunished" observation. What he did was undefendable, and it wasn't defended - he has entered a guilty plea and a punishment decision is reserved. The Force's (prosecution) submission that he has a previously unblemished record, assuming to be accurate, is likely simply a statement of fact. An employer can't claim an employee is bad without foundation. I will speculate that a lab technician who is represented by a bargaining unit would clearly not be "out of a job in seconds".

It is my understanding that FIDO has taken hold across Ontario, not just in Toronto. The amount of note-taking simply to justify the contact is significant, and I'm frankly not surprised that most cops simply don't bother.
I have to imagine that the end of carding and the rise of FIDO has dramatically reduced the street knowledge and investigatiive ability of TPS in the gangsta neighbourhoods.

I understand why TPS wanted carding and why they were discriminating against our black citizens, as you fish where the fish are. TPS believes Toronto has a gangs and guns issue in its young black male population, so in TPS mind that’s who you stop. There’s no point in stopping the old Asian lady. Of course this is patently unfair to folks just living their own lives who get stopped purely because of their combo of race, age and gender put them on the TPS hit list.

So, what’s the fix? FIDO suggests the TPS front line has given up and is going through the motions. What these officers are likely waiting for is reasonable means to doing their job.

Police carding should be banned in Ontario, independent review says

After a recording breaking year for homicides, this judge winds up looking like a complete idiot.
Random street checks, or carding, should be banned as there is little evidence to show the practice is useful in reducing crime.

The report was prepared by Court of Appeal Justice Michael Tulloch, who was tapped by the former Liberal government in 2017 to conduct a review of its new provincial regulation on carding — the stopping and documenting of citizens not suspected of a crime.

Back