Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Went with a @Contra style update today.

View attachment 572988

This is how much more it has before it tops out.

View attachment 572987

If they construct every floor once a week, then it will take roughly a year and a half to top out.
Very looking forward to seeing this graph completed as the tower climbs. My only quibble is the spelling "meter", which in Canada refers to an instrument which measures, whilst a unit of measurement is a "metre".

Modernism is the least appreciated movement on these forums.

This isn't Brutalism to begin. Brutalism is decorative/ expressionism. This is minimalism. (From memory) Each window bay is equal in size and each side of the building has a equal number of bays. Each of those bays is inset from the face of the facade. This sounds simply however, think of one of the hundreds of towers built since 2000 that manages this. The highly regarded Selby on Sherbourne comes the closest. Some of its bays just have full height spandrel glass panels.

I wouldn't call the tower a street killer. The printing complex attached to it is. It's purpose was industrial and was going to be demolished in every Pinnacle conception

Even renovating the former Toronto Star building at One Yonge like fellow International Style skyscraper Seneca One Tower in Buffalo would be better than demolishing it completely.

I'm not sure modernist fans would appreciate the red and black paint job or the neo-brick warehouse aesthetic Seneca One's new owners have given it lol

We can do a lot better.

I think this is the problem right here. This city continues to put up very sub par buildings. Pretty much anything by Concord Adex that goes up is an eyesore, which is sad because their buildings are all over the place. The mentality that "we can do better" is not something I have a lot of faith in when it comes to skyscrapers in this city. I'm not suggesting the Toronto Star building is a site to behold, but in a city that's rife with glass box's, anything that isn't glass is a win in my books so replacing it with another glass building just adds to the clutter. so that's why I think it should be preserved.

Last edited:
I kinda like the concept where they where planning to bottle the TorStar building in glass. I still think that can be done without needing it to be office space....

...but let's see what they have to offer first before speculating too much about it. HP Sauce may have some complimentary tricks up their sleeves like they're proposing for 350 Bloor East. <3

Cladding up close (June 19 2024):

20240619_145049.JPG

Curved panels in view on the left:
20240619_145058.JPG

Don't look up I'd say! Having people standing underneth it really goes to show just how massive that transfer slab is. I think the only other building in the city that made use of one that had the height of an entire floor before was Sugar Wharf, but I feel like the floor heights are a bit taller here.

Regarding the TorStar building: Can't say I'm surprised. It's an older office building, plus it's outside the financial district, and far from the subway. It's not exactly an ideal office location with the current lack of demand. Consider that 11 Bay, just a block away is effectively cancelled. And that would have had direct streetcar, as well as PATH, access. There's also been no movement on The Hub, which also would be newer and closer to Union than this building. And while I think we should be spreading out offices beyond the financial district, the lack of movement on the Waterfront East LRT makes it hard to justify offices on Queen's Quay East. Who knows when there will actually be a streetcar stop outside? Years of bad planning and decisions are compounding at this point.

I agree with what @UtakataNoAnnex said, something closer to 350 Bloor East, in terms of respecting the original building, would be ideal here. Would also add a nice contrast in materiality from the northern towers.

Back