Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Taken this morning after the downpour past.

1000009363.jpg

Even renovating the former Toronto Star building at One Yonge like fellow International Style skyscraper Seneca One Tower in Buffalo would be better than demolishing it completely.

I think it is very shameful that our heritage preservation system is abused to protect shacks on Queen St E while this building of architectural and cultural significance (and *massive* amounts of embedded carbon) doesn't have any sort of designation. What a joke.

Time to designate more brutalist buildings before they're gone.

I think it is very shameful that our heritage preservation system is abused to protect shacks on Queen St E while this building of architectural and cultural significance (and *massive* amounts of embedded carbon) doesn't have any sort of designation. What a joke.

Time to designate more brutalist buildings before they're gone.

It's amazing that so many of us agree with you, but yet the city doesn't feel this way.

It's amazing that so many of us agree with you, but yet the city doesn't feel this way.

I think a lot of people would disagree that this is the heritage we should be saving.

I have nothing against brutalism, and there are many great and interesting examples that should be preserved, but this building, frankly, is ugly, demonstrates almost nothing in terms of unique craftsmanship or materiality, and is a street-level killer at one of the most prominent waterfront locations in Canada. We can do a lot better.

Also, I'm holding a long-term grudge regarding the demolition of the original Toronto Star building.

Back