Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

these buildings tower over the development under construction which are on looking the water front... is that pier 27? I cant remember... either way that developer must be kicking himself for making such small buildings when he could have built them at least three times as high and been a lot richer...

I'd also like to take this moment to remind some forumers that we likely will not get ALL of these large developments. i.e. Oxford Place might happen along with this, but no Gehry. Or Gehry and Oxford will succeed, but not this development. I don't believe the demand is there to build ALL of these things. But maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm right though, as I think this massive amount of development is out of step with the (low) amount of public/government investment being put into expanding social/community amenities and services and transit in Toronto and other Canadian cities.

I agree, at least with the point that I'm not sure all these big ticket developments are going to go ahead. If they do, as others on here have said it'll be a long timeline. Though I'm not sure I agree with your other point--perhaps this development could retroactively spur infrastructure investment...

Put the east aside, I wonder how Toronto's current boom really stacks up against Chicago/New York during their respective construction booms maybe 100 or 50 years ago, not at present. I think there is a chart circulating on this forum somewhere, and the conclusion is, Toronto still lags considerably in terms of # of buildings under construction when NYC/Chicago were going through their best times. We are only having a moderate boom right now.

I'm the one who posted those charts, and actually, Toronto's current boom is on pace to exceed anything seen at any time in New York or Chicago. Here are the charts (which are already well out of date):

NewYorkChicagoToronto2.jpg

NewYorkChicagoToronto1.jpg

I forget what the y-axis numbers represent, but I do recall that they scale with the number and height of buildings completed in that year in the first chart.

As for the 1 Yonge images, my jaw dropped. Is Toronto ready for such non-ordinary architecture?

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with whether Toronto is ready for it and everything to do with whether a developer will spend the money for it.

It has nothing to do with whether Toronto is ready for it and everything to do with whether a developer will spend the money for it.

What do you mean "it"? If you are referring to my post, I am speaking to the things that developers cannot (or do not) provide. That being a range of income levels living together, and the infrastructure (transit etc.) and above all SOCIAL facilities and services that make a good city. Massive development which creates a monoculture does not equate to a good city for people to live in, regardless of the cool factor of its skyline.

If you are waiting around and relying on developers to create a good city, it will never happen.

Cool.

Is that an extension on top of the Toronto Star building?

The new office building (?) beside it has a huge floorplate.

The scale of this development kind of reminds me of Renaissance Center in Detroit...

I'm mixed on the two 70-stores towers. The developers better get these right.

Overall, cool. As long as there are over 1000 condo sales a month occurring in the City of Toronto. I'll be happy. I believe it's averaging 2000 a month. It maybe decades before everything proposed today gets built, but that's okay as long as it is positive growth. Rome wasn't built in a day.

There is a city planner at Toronto City Hall that has long been an advocate of the skyline cone policy, protecting view corridors, and limiting building heights so they fit into the context of the neighborhood. Today, this city planner visited Urban Toronto.

If he or she is reading this thread right now, what, if anything, would you say to this person?

(Lol- I have my reasons. Don't judge.)

exactly.
The western hemisphere is largely mature with mostly older countries who have peaked 100+ years ago. So being the fastest growing out of this stagnant hemisphere really means very little.
44 buildings taller than 150m or roughly 50 stories tall, is hardly impressive...

Put the east aside, I wonder how Toronto's current boom really stacks up against Chicago/New York during their respective construction booms maybe 100 or 50 years ago, not at present. I think there is a chart circulating on this forum somewhere, and the conclusion is, Toronto still lags considerably in terms of # of buildings under construction when NYC/Chicago were going through their best times. We are only having a moderate boom right now.

Balenciaga really seems to have a bias that blinds him to reality. We are a city of less than 6 million - almost half the size of Chicago and more than 4 times smaller than New York. So, yes the boom here - in relative terms - is very significant. Is it significant in total terms compared to cities like Mumbai (16 million +) and Shanghai (20 million +)? Well actually yes it is. I believe we are in the top 10 in the world for building towers over 150m. Show me a comparable city - other than Dubai, which is financially unsustainable at present - which is similar in population to Toronto that is more impressive (though when it comes to the quality of the architecture, I would say Toronto isn't up to standard yet). What about buildings over 300m, if that were even a true testament to impressiveness? Less so, of course, but it is a part of the Canadian character, which is cautious and doesn't tilt toward the financially unsustainable just to get the "look at me" fame of the tallest tower.

Let's not forget that almost every single tallest tower in the world has heralded a market or economic crash, like the Empire State (Great Depression), the NYC twin towers (1973 stagflation), the Petronas towers (Asian financial crisis), and Burj Dubai (global financial crisis). We will see what happens to countries that get too far ahead of themselves, and I would caution Toronto to watch out.

Also, it is a laughable statement to say that "the Western Hemisphere" (what, Africa?, South America?) peaked 100+ years ago. European and US GDP surged massively after the devastation of WWII, growing at rates into 7% per year and even higher during the rebuilding of Europe. Besides, the US has given us radical inventions such as the internet that were put to use only 30 years ago. Stagnant!?! Just because Americans prefer to build huge suburbs and highways instead of towers and subways doesn't make the growth unreal.

Moreover, growing fast in a mature environment is absolutely fantastic, as we are growing a lot in absolute terms, just less in relative terms. We have a stable and prosperous society with a social safety net and a clean environment - and we can still grow. That is wonderful and impressive.

Yonge-Tstar-Aero.jpg

As for the proposal, it is very nice. I would love to see something as innovative and interesting as the two towers that seem to zig zag away from the Toronto star building. The tallest tower could use some more work in my view, it isn't as unique as I would like given its prominence - but the one next to it looks interesting. The tower next to the Toronto star is more like the new proposal on Adelaide and is a rather nice but already done design. Still, if it were finished as rendered I would be mighty happy!

Attachments

• Yonge-Tstar-Aero.jpg
    Yonge-Tstar-Aero.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Front page story here.

Why is it, almost all of Toronto's new towers come with the exact same design of retail spaces, which consist of just flat, glass walls, with no decoration or visual interest, at all? Pretty soon, most of Toronto will be just wall after wall, of dull, indistinguishable retail spaces, along our main streets. There will be very little charm in that, in fact, it will be very cold and uninviting. (for anyone who isn't obsessed with minimalist structures, which is probably 95% of the population) How long can we keep doing the same old artless designs, over and over?

Last edited:
The two very CCTV/Koolhaas towers are so interesting that I'd prefer they be built on this site without the jumble of other towers onsite to distract from them.

There is a city planner at Toronto City Hall that has long been an advocate of the skyline cone policy, protecting view corridors, and limiting building heights so they fit into the context of the neighborhood. Today, this city planner visited Urban Toronto.

If he or she is reading this thread right now, what, if anything, would you say to this person?

(Lol- I have my reasons. Don't judge.)

I think it would be terrific if all city planners visited UT on a regular basis...if they are looking for real world feedback on planning policies, this has to be the place to get it....

And as a few of you know, I think the skyline cone policy has to go....that is micro-management at its worst....let the city grow organically...:)

Back