Toronto Picasso Condos | 128.62m | 39s | Mattamy Homes | Teeple Architects

Umm...I'm pretty sure one of the overarching goals of urban planning / urban design is to mitigate shade from buildings wherever possible and unsure sun / light for pedestrians.

Yeah but isaidso is a vampire skyscraper fanboy. He hates the sun and loves giant buildings.

There's room for both streetwalls and smaller scaled streetscapes in a city the size of Toronto. I don't mind seeing canyons forming along Richmond or Adelaide, and I quite like the existing canyon effects we have along Carlton and Bloor E. But for places like Yonge, Queen W, and even College I would prefer to see the low-rise character respected with development pushed away from the streets.

There's room for both streetwalls and smaller scaled streetscapes in a city the size of Toronto. I don't mind seeing canyons forming along Richmond or Adelaide, and I quite like the existing canyon effects we have along Carlton and Bloor E. But for places like Yonge, Queen W, and even College I would prefer to see the low-rise character respected with development pushed away from the streets.

It might be a little late for Yonge.

Earlier this evening:

P1420149.jpg

P1420139.jpg

P1420144.jpg

Attachments

• P1420139.jpg
    P1420139.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 2,227
  • P1420144.jpg
    P1420144.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 2,198
  • P1420149.jpg
    P1420149.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 2,737
^Would be interesting to see that shot from even 2 years ago vs spring 2015, when these are mostly topped out. What a difference from a predominantly low and midrise area...

This could go in a bunch of different threads, but I thought it was best suited for this one.
img_5926.jpg

Attachments

• img_5926.jpg
    img_5926.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,765
Although I don't like surface parking lots downtown, they can be good places to get unobstructed views of the skyline and new buildings going up.

There's got to be some sort of resentment that landowners on Richmond get to sell out to condo developers while those owners on what at one point was more desirable land on Queen can't. At least not for high density development that's boosted the value of the land on Richmond.

Back