Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

That's what I mean.

you confused me with the words "As for the section in Brampton, it's 3 tracks" then referencing how to use the non existent middle track. ;)

They would be missing a lot of passengers then.

Take a look at the early discussion of this in the HSR thread....you will find that while I agree with you on this point....not many others do.

you confused me with the words "As for the section in Brampton, it's 3 tracks" then referencing how to use the non existent middle track. ;)

Take a look at the early discussion of this in the HSR thread....you will find that while I agree with you on this point....not many others do.
Now that I think about it, I don't think there is a need for high speed rail between Toronto and London at all. Faster(VIA trains can run pretty fast if the don't have to share tracks with freight trains) and more frequent(hourly) VIA service should suffice for quiet a while, as the ridership shouldn't be enough to support all the investments associated with high speed rail. What do you think?

Now that I think about it, I don't think there is a need for high speed rail between Toronto and London at all. Faster(VIA trains can run pretty fast if the don't have to share tracks with freight trains) and more frequent(hourly) VIA service should suffice for quiet a while, as the ridership shouldn't be enough to support all the investments associated with high speed rail. What do you think?

I made a very similar argument in my first ever post here at Urban Toronto:
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...son-airport-toronto.20558/page-45#post-936089

Maybe this discussion would be more pertinent there...

Last edited:
Noticed a slight tweak to the image release by the GTAA on their mega hub vision:

Note the pedestrian walkway from the hub station now splits with individual forks heading to T1 and T3. The original image had the pedestrian walkway going to T3 with a second walkway to T1

https://torontopearson.com/uploaded...endering01FFinalCompositionFramed_Mar2017.jpg

that walkway seems like a very long walk especially if the gate is at the very far end. Do they have some sort of people mover in mind to take them to the terminals faster?

Reactions: jys
From the article:

Meanwhile, Toronto’s Pearson International Airport has prepared a detailed policy paper on how a partial privatization of the airport could raise funds toward as much as $12.6-billion in new local and regional public transit that connects to the airport.

The plan proposes a $6-billion high-speed rail line connecting Windsor, London, Kitchener-Waterloo and Toronto. The airport suggests high-speed rail would reduce the need for short-haul flights, freeing up runway capacity for more long-haul international flights.

The Globe and Mail obtained a copy of the 39-page report, dated January, 2017, and marked confidential. The report has not been made public but its content was first reported Tuesday by the Toronto Star.

The transit projects near the airport could be financed in several ways, said one aviation-industry source familiar with Pearson’s proposals, but the current discussions centre on some form of private investment in the airport.

“It would be more challenging for the airport to raise the funds itself, but it’s not impossible,” the source said.

The key to the airport’s proposal is to turn the facility into a megahub – defined as an airport that serves more than 50 million passengers annually – with 20 million of them going to or coming from international destinations.

Pearson set a record last year when 44 million passengers travelled through it.

No decisions on airport privatization were announced in this month’s federal budget, but officials say the government is still reviewing its options.

Interesting seeing this pivot towards international flights- how many short-haul flights to local Ontario cities are from Pearson anyways?

And who would run the high-speed rail line?

From the article:

Interesting seeing this pivot towards international flights- how many short-haul flights to local Ontario cities are from Pearson anyways?

And who would run the high-speed rail line?

I just googled Toronto-Windsor and Toronto-London (ON) flights (from Pearson)

I get 13 per day departing, presumably with a like number of arrivals.

If you include Ottawa and Montreal, about 200 movements (landing or takeoff). Convert half of those to 777's flying overseas and it's a substantial increase in passengers and landing fees at the airport. As a bonus international flights are better for Air Canada's bottom line too, especially if they can get a 10% booking commission for selling HSR tickets.

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/flights/schedules/#

Roundtrips (dedup'd by time) from a quick search:
London 11
Windsor 6
Detroit 9 (would be in catchment of Windsor HSR)
Kingston 7
Ottawa 27
Montreal 35

Pearson transit hub would be a ‘game changer,’ Mississauga mayor says

Sounds like Mississauga is on board:
Howard Eng, the authority’s president and CEO, and Hillary Marshall, vice-president of stakeholder relations and communications, presented the airport’s plan to Mississauga councillors Wednesday morning.

The Mississauga Board of Trade voiced its support for the airport’s vision, especially its willingness to consider what it called “creative funding avenues” to help pay for it.

Probably mentioned already that Pearson is likely going to be paying for the hub while the links will need to be funded via other sources:
The airport aspires to become a mega hub with more international connections that drives passenger growth and boosts airport employment. A key part of making that vision a reality is a regional transit hub on airport lands to help move passengers and airport workers.

[...]

The authority says it’s prepared to foot the cost of the hub, to be built as part of a larger processing centre where passengers will check in for flights and go through security before proceeding to the terminals.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...be-a-game-changer-mississauga-mayor-says.html

Last edited:
Probably mentioned already that Pearson is likely going to be paying for the hub while the links will need to be funded via other sources:
There's been a couple of mentions in the press about the Canada Investment Bank, or even a prelude to it financing aspects. Here's one reference (there are others)
[...]
“Now it’s a matter of whether this is a sort of thing that feeds into the bank or if it’s too soon for the bank to make a decision,” he said. “The thing is, this is the right idea … The Caisse is one of the major transportation infrastructure owners around the world.”

It was also revealed this week that Toronto’s Pearson airport is making a multibillion-dollar pitch to become a transportation megahub.

Both projects could serve as early test cases for how pension funds and private investors can help fund major new Canadian infrastructure projects.

The proposed infrastructure bank – which will have a budget of at least $35-billion over 10 years – is meant to provide a centre of expertise for governments at all levels that would offer advice on negotiating these types of major, long-term infrastructure projects. [...]
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-sector-infrastructure-plans/article34482281/

There's some 'play' in whether the most apt term is "infrastructure" or "investment" bank, this will be clarified better when more defined structures of 'The Bank' become known.

Thank God Toronto City Council doesn't have any say on the matter. We'd end up with a Buttonville Airport transit hub if they did.
With a one stop subway there from Kennedy...station that is, not JFK airport. Depending on who's sitting on Council, of course, and who happens to be 'dropping' cash...

Back