News   Jul 12, 2024
 86     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 270     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 576     0 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

At this point, there should just be a planespotting and a general aviation thread. Nevertheless, I don't see Lufthansa getting rid of the 747s so soon, remember, they have a bunch of A340s they need to get rid of, and they're almost twice as fuel inefficient as the 777 and 747.

Pearson also sees 2 77W and a 744 flight to Frankfurt every day, with an a350 flight to Munich. There's definitely a need for larger capacities on that route.

AC's 777W carries 450 pax each for a total of 900 pax per day. Luf's 744 carry approx 400 pax. So thats a total of 1300 seats per day. Lufthansa may replace the 744 with a 777 or a 350, or a 380. But what aircraft can AC fly that will carry 900 pax on a single flight??? Only the a380-900 can do it and thats in an unprofitable all economy configuration.

No, I would not be surprised to find that on futher inspection that one AC flight matches its european block of flights at yyz with most of its network arriving at yyz in time to connect with it; and that the second flight matches a block of star alliance flights at fra allowing connections the the star alliance network there. Im sure that you would find the same when looking at other star alliance hubs. So there is a benefit to AC to have a two flights per day out of yyz

AC's 777W carries 450 pax each for a total of 900 pax per day. Luf's 744 carry approx 400 pax. So thats a total of 1300 seats per day. Lufthansa may replace the 744 with a 777 or a 350, or a 380. But what aircraft can AC fly that will carry 900 pax on a single flight??? Only the a380-900 can do it and thats in an unprofitable all economy configuration.

No, I would not be surprised to find that on futher inspection that one AC flight matches its european block of flights at yyz with most of its network arriving at yyz in time to connect with it; and that the second flight matches a block of star alliance flights at fra allowing connections the the star alliance network there. Im sure that you would find the same when looking at other star alliance hubs. So there is a benefit to AC to have a two flights per day out of yyz

I don't think it would be as simple as switching it out with an A350, could be a 777-9 though, maybe 2 A330s. We'll see what happens.

Lufthansa's 747s have the highest concentration of premium seats of almost all aircraft if not all aircraft in the world if I remember correctly. While the actual number of seats is about the same for both aircraft, the actual space required to transport every type of passenger is much higher than is being assumed. Most of AC's 77Ws have a total capacity of 400 passengers, with 64 premium seats. Compare this to to Lufthansa's 744 with 110 premium seats. The 748 has 120 premium seats including first class seats, so having AC fly a -8 with a mainly economy layout wouldn't be too far fetched.

Of course, the question is of economics. It probably wouldn't be a good idea for AC to purchase 4-6 747-8is for use on flights to Frankfurt, London, Tokyo, and even Vancouver. Despite fleet commonality with the 787, it's probably just not worth it to have yet another aircraft type in its fleet.

Since we’re discussing routes. Will be ever see Stockholm- Toronto, Helsinki- Toronto or Singapore - Toronto?

I’m flying to Taiwan and Singapore and booked on Eva Air. I was surprised the flight takes off at 2 o’clock in the morning. Are flights allowed to leave Pearson at that time? Do they pay an extra fine?

I remember growing up in the flightpath of that airport in 1970s Mississauga and having to close the doors on our non-air-conditioned home in the summer just to hear the television. I can’t imagine 2 o’clock in the morning when my plane flies over.

I’m flying to Taiwan and Singapore and booked on Eva Air. I was surprised the flight takes off at 2 o’clock in the morning. Are flights allowed to leave Pearson at that time? Do they pay an extra fine?

I remember growing up in the flightpath of that airport in 1970s Mississauga and having to close the doors on our non-air-conditioned home in the summer just to hear the television. I can’t imagine 2 o’clock in the morning when my plane flies over.

I always thought the restrictions were absolute as well- apparently not at all: NFRP

Reactions: rbt
Second, the relaxation of ETOPs (What I call "Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming) rule dictating max allowable time away from a diversion airport if an engine on a twin engined airplane fails).

I'm pretty sure that the 777X will replace Lufty's 744s and 748s, starting next year or the year after. Economically, it just can't be beat. Lufthansa's fleet planning has always been a bit bizarre but I think they have finally come into the 21st century. I've never seen another airline so beholden to four holers.

I have worked with Germans and in German businesses. The role of quality and security is high in their engineering and society. Quite simply, they value the high probability that a plane can fly securely with three of four engines (75%) rather than one of two (50%).

Germans value Sicherheit [ZI-CHER-HIGHT] (security) and Zuverlässigkeit [TSU-FAIR-LESS-ISH-KITE] (reliability) very highly.

This is one reason that the rest of the world often perceives German engineering as 'over-engineered'. Personally I think it's generally brilliant.

I have worked with Germans and in German businesses. The role of quality and security is high in their engineering and society. Quite simply, they value the high probability that a plane can fly securely with three of four engines (75%) rather than one of two (50%).

Germans value Sicherheit [ZI-CHER-HIGHT] (security) and Zuverlässigkeit [TSU-FAIR-LESS-ISH-KITE] (reliability) very highly.

This is one reason that the rest of the world often perceives German engineering as 'over-engineered'. Personally I think it's generally brilliant.
Tegel Airport being the exception.

Since we’re discussing routes. Will be ever see Stockholm- Toronto, Helsinki- Toronto or Singapore - Toronto?
All three of these routes were actually flown in the late 80s/early 90s, non-stop with the exception of Singapore which stopped in Amsterdam or Frankfurt depending on the day of the week. Finnair operated DC10s, possibly operated the MD11, and finally ran 757s as late as the 2000s on a summer basis before finally pulling the plug. Not sure if they are back again or not.

SAS ran 767-300ERs. Even had their inaugural flight delayed when they couldn't get the airplane out of the hangar when the hangar doors failed and wouldn't open. Singapore ran 747-400s to Toronto for a limited time. It was a contentious route and eventually they were forced to drop service due to a spat with the Canadian government if I recall correctly. It didn't last long.

Pearson has had limited night operations and departures until 02:00 for some time now. The old midnight to 06:00 curfew has been gone for some time now. Brings back memories of trying to get a DC-8 that went mechanical out before the curfew. Flight was boarded and filled with a wheelchair rugby team heading to the UK when they pulled the plug on it. Mayhem ensued.

I've taken Cathay's 01:25 departure to Hong Kong and man, I'll never do that flight again. Much prefer flying to asia in the mid morning or very early afternoon timeslot.

It’s interesting, the airport has got much busier and bigger bigger yet routes that used to run have stopped. One would think the opposit.

It’s interesting, the airport has got much busier and bigger bigger yet routes that used to run have stopped. One would think the opposit.

The world changes, cities grow and decline. What was once a major destination might now be no mand land, the economics (for ex the energy sector for houston-calgary routes) change as well.

Just because a route existed 50 years ago doesnt mean it should exist today.

Back