News   Jul 16, 2024
 233     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 990     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Toronto Parks

"Average density" without context is pointless.

Then hopefully you won't make out-of-context statements like this one in the future.

“Of course Calgary is going to (have) a higher (park) allocation than Toronto...it's land mass at 825 sqkm, is considerably larger than Toronto, while it's population is only 1.2 million. It does not have dense neighbourhoods or downtown as Toronto has.â€

If you need proof, he keeps regularly peppering his posts with this little jab...."your narrow Toronto-centric views"

He obviously has a chip, and the longer we indulge him, the more he will continue trolling.

I am happy with your progress. You have gone from:

“Van's downtown peninsula is pretty dense, but it's small, and the rest of the city is pretty sprawly, unlike Toronto, which has very dense nodes all over the city.â€

to:

“But Toronto has a handicap over Vancouver....a much larger area in which to accommodate average density.â€

Hopefully my “trolling†helped broaden your narrow Toronto-centric views and taught you a thing or two about humility.

Ayan is taking short vacation, just long enough for him to consider how annoying his condescending manner in this thread has been of late. It will be 24 hours before he gets a chance to waste your time again.

Then hopefully you won't make out-of-context statements like this one in the future.

“Of course Calgary is going to (have) a higher (park) allocation than Toronto...it's land mass at 825 sqkm, is considerably larger than Toronto, while it's population is only 1.2 million. It does not have dense neighbourhoods or downtown as Toronto has.â€

Except that it isn't an out of context statement (it's adding context). And even if it were, it would only point out I was being hypocritical...not that "Average density" without context is pointless. is an incorrect statement. You can employ every fallacy in the book...it isn't going to work.

Calgary having more parkland per capita than Toronto is no more useful info than is Vancouver having a higher overall municipal residential population density.

I am happy with your progress. You have gone from:

“Van's downtown peninsula is pretty dense, but it's small, and the rest of the city is pretty sprawly, unlike Toronto, which has very dense nodes all over the city.â€

to:

“But Toronto has a handicap over Vancouver....a much larger area in which to accommodate average density.â€

Except...those aren't contradictory statements. Nice try

I haven't seen this much tap dancing since Tiny Talent Time!!

Sometimes, the city uses former parkland or covered creeks for city owned buildings. Bellwoods Centre (1082 Dundas St. W.) comes to mind. Its over the Garrison Creek (now sewer). I would imagine the foundations have to be extra deep because of the wet grounds. Those creeks could have remained as parks, but are no longer available as such.

See link.

map-garrisoncreek.jpg

Note the "High Park" mislabel. That label is roughly next door to where St. Joseph's Health Centre is located.

Attachments

• map-garrisoncreek.jpg
    map-garrisoncreek.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Not sure if it's too morbid but I find cemeteries to be 'pleasant' green spaces to wander around in, certainly some of the older more atmospheric ones at least.

Not sure if it's too morbid but I find cemeteries to be 'pleasant' green spaces to wander around in, certainly some of the older more atmospheric ones at least.
The kids love running around the cemetery nearby. And there's a playground in the old military one at Portland and Wellington - not sure if the graves extend under that corner or not ...

When the cemeteries were "new", that meant there were empty fields that were used for picnics and sports. As they "filled up", that activity was pushed out.

Back