Toronto Parkdale Hub | 54.5m | 16s | CreateTO | DTAH

It shouldn't be 62 new units being built at the Parkdale Hub lands.. it could and should be 162 units or 262 units being created as net new.

Until we hear what the modeled number for the 'additional property' is; and whether they are in fact purchasing it, we don't have a real unit count number; only the portion that applies to one part of the potential site.

There is absolutely zero chance of 162 units on the eastern site.

Its plausible it go above 62; but you're not getting an 18-30 storey building on that spot.

Where as that is plausible on the western side of Cowan.

June 2019 "vision" documents had 179 units (*including the Dollarama lands).

Even without those lands, we should be able to deliver 15+ storeys on Queen in 2021 --- if the City is in any way serious about delivering new Affordable-Housing units at scale and speed.
1620236584722.png

...the 1970's PARKDALE UNITED CHURCH Affordable Housing development on King Street is a model that the City should look to on the Parkdale Hub lands... despite their current "Design Guideline" preferences.

1620236909473.png

June 2019 "vision" documents had 179 units (*including the Dollarama lands).

Even without those lands, we should be able to deliver 15+ storeys on Queen in 2021 --- if the City is in any way serious about delivering new Affordable-Housing units at scale and speed.

This part (bolded above) is the key though.

At any rate, you seem to be arguing to convince me.

I'm a proponent of affordable housing, as you know; and one who has lobbied for it repeatedly, and wants to see more of it in this proposal.

All I'm doing is telling you where on the site the City will approve it; and that's the Dollarama side, not the Library site on the east side.

As to the example above (Parkdale United); it actually shows why that is unlikely to happen on the east side of Cowan.

All you have to do is measure the site.

That site is considerably larger (particularly, deeper).

That site is 50M deep (67% deeper than the site on Queen Street east of Cowan).

The City will not consider the 2 sites comparable.

Last edited:
This part (bolded above) is the key though.

At any rate, you seem to be arguing to convince me.

I'm a proponent of affordable housing, as you know; and one who has lobbied for it repeatedly, and wants to see more of it in this proposal.

All I'm doing is telling you where on the site the City will approve it; and that's the Dollarama side, not the Library site on the east side.

As to the example above (Parkdale United); it actually shows why that is unlikely to happen on the east side of Cowan.

All you have to do is measure the site.

That site is considerably larger (particularly, deeper).

That site is 50M deep (67% deeper than the site on Queen Street east of Cowan).

The City will not consider the 2 sites comparable.
something to remember too is that the same neighbourhood is opposed to tall buildings (condos) approve a larger building and you set a precedent, cant have it both ways. Anyone know what the actual cost is to deliver government built affordable housing? the point I am trying to make is that it is most likely less expensive to secure existing housing in older buildings which is at risk of loss, than building brand new housing.

Update at the CreateTO Board report today - RA22.8 - Parkdale Hub Project - 1303, 1313 and 1325 Queen Street West and 220 Cowan Avenue

There's a Confidential Attachment - A proposed or pending acquisition or sale of land for municipal or local board purposes and a position, plan, or instruction to be applied to negotiations carried on or to be carried on by or on behalf of the City of Toronto - Assume that is the Dollorama lands.

Public meeting planned for MAY 27th.

1620742585658.png

Parkdale Community Hub – Virtual Community Meeting

The Parkdale Hub project, located at the intersection of Queen Street West and Cowan Avenue, is a transformational city-building initiative that will deliver wide-ranging social, cultural and economic benefits to the Parkdale community.

The intersection is currently home to an important cluster of City-owned facilities and community services, all of which are in need of significant capital investment over the next 10 years in order to maintain current service delivery levels. This project provides a unique opportunity to plan and build the City’s assets in a coordinated manner, taking advantage of existing adjacencies to create spaces that more efficiently and effectively serve the Parkdale community.

During Phase 1 of the project in 2018 and 2019, the City of Toronto and CreateTO engaged the local community to develop a preferred massing concept for the site. Now, as part of Phase 2 of the project, the team will share and seek feedback on a preliminary design concept for the Parkdale Hub, answer questions and provide more information on the next steps in the process.

Join us on Thursday May 27th at 6:30pm for the virtual community meeting.

Meeting Details:

When: Thursday, May 27th 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.

Where: Online and by phone

Meeting Registration: https://swerhuninc.webex.com/swerhuninc/onstage/g.php?MTID=e32d4457fd01dfa24952a918546f9fe98

More information about the project, and details about how to join and participate in the public meeting, can be found on the project website (www.parkdalehub.ca).

New item at the Executive Meeting next week on June 1, 2021. It will be considered by City Council on June 8, 2021, subject to the actions of the Executive Committee.

EX24.10 - Parkdale Hub Project - 1303, 1313 and 1325 Queen Street West and 220 Cowan Avenue

Confidential Attachment - A proposed or pending acquisition or sale of land for municipal or local board purposes and a position, plan, or instruction to be applied to negotiations carried on or to be carried on by or on behalf of the City of Toronto

Based on the "Confidential Attachment" maybe they are in a position to acquire the Dollarama lands..? (TBD)

Last edited:
That's rather unambitious.

AoD

In terms of scale, we need to see the 'other shoe' drop; which is the possible/probable acquisition of the Dollarama site.

In terms of aesthetics, on the balance of the site, I don't know how much detail has really been achieved, I had understood we were still at the 'high concept' level; but perhaps I've missed something.

What a total waste. The city should not be constructing 2 storey buildings anywhere in this city, yet alone on a streetcar line.

I'm not so quick to judge on this one........(though I'm wary).......

The eastern component is six storeys.

The western component starts at the height of the heritage building {2 storeys) and steps up to 3-4s in height).

Important to consider here that there are 2 heritage properties to the south that preserved in their entirety.

Adjusting for a modest set-back from the heritage facade, you have no more than 30m, and maybe less to work with for height on that portion of the site.

Now......I'm not certain something usable couldn't be created here, in terms of housing, even w/o the Dollarama site.............though it would certainly be an abnormally small floor plate..........

Which would in turn push construction costs psf up a bit.

But again, the key on the western side is and always has been the Dollarama property.

If they have that.........they have no excuse for not putting a tower in play.

Back