Toronto Panda Condominiums | 107.59m | 30s | Lifetime | Turner Fleischer

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5G 1C9

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 238901 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Oct 17, 2014

Project: Retail Store Demolition

Description: Proposal to demolish existing 3 sty retail store.

Last edited:
http://www.thestar.com/life/2014/11/25/worlds_biggest_bookstore_meets_the_wrecking_ball.html

I am glad it is gone.
Won't miss it as it is completely out of place in downtown. The new restaurants are scheduled to be ready by next Sept. But the fact the new buildings (albeit temporary) continue to be 2s is still odd. Why don't they add a bit more retail space on the 3 and 4th floor?

Yeah bookstores are out of place downtown. :rolleyes: if they had built a 10 story building, you would have said why didn't they build 20s. 10 seems kind of out of place in this part of the downtown.

Last edited:
Yeah bookstores are out of place downtown. :rolleyes: if they had built a 10 story building, you would have said why didn't they build 20s. 10 seems kind of out of place in this part of the downtown.

Two story bookstores occupying a huge downtown land is out of place, which is why this one went out of business. Keep rolling your eyes and that doesn't change anything. Do you think such a large bookstore is able to afford the high market rent at Yonge/Edward with its petty profit (if there is any)?

Either 10s or 20s are fine. 40s/50s are fine too at this location. On the other hand, a 2 story is not fine and the buyer of this lot will not build a lowrise there after spending multi million $$. So just have to learn to accept that.

I see that the database entry for this project says "cancelled", and I get a "page not found" when I try to view it. Is the restaurant row still gonna be built?

Oh no, does than mean no Buffet Mandarin? I had my hopes up. :-(

I bet we end up with another parking lot for quite a while.

A not even slightly subtle bait-and-switch in order to get this approved as a parking lot, I'd imagine. I doubt the restaurant plan was ever actually going to happen.

Two story bookstores occupying a huge downtown land is out of place, which is why this one went out of business. Keep rolling your eyes and that doesn't change anything. Do you think such a large bookstore is able to afford the high market rent at Yonge/Edward with its petty profit (if there is any)?

Either 10s or 20s are fine. 40s/50s are fine too at this location. On the other hand, a 2 story is not fine and the buyer of this lot will not build a lowrise there after spending multi million $$. So just have to learn to accept that.

I agree with you ksun. This thing isn't much better than having a parking lot of that size at that location. And I can guarantee you that if it were a parking lot, people would be complaining about it being a waste of space.

Back