Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

…although by naming the park in the West Don Lands 'Corktown Common', it's inevitable that the boundaries above will morph over the years to include what's under construction now. I wonder if someday we'll know the West Don Lands area as 'New Corktown'. I'm willing to bet that the word 'Corktown' is being seriously considered as part of the name ('Corktown Landing', something like that?) for the as yet un-marketed market condo now rising on Bayview at Lawren Harris Square.

…although by naming the park in the West Don Lands 'Corktown Common', it's inevitable that the boundaries above will morph over the years to include what's under construction now. I wonder if someday we'll know the West Don Lands area as 'New Corktown'. I'm willing to bet that the word 'Corktown' is being seriously considered as part of the name ('Corktown Landing', something like that?) for the as yet un-marketed market condo now rising on Bayview at Lawren Harris Square. 42

Yes, neighbourhood boundaries tend to be quite flexible and often overlap. The Corktown Residents' and Business Association thinks its boundaries go to Berkeley Street and the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association thinks its go to Parliament. At least in real estate ads, as a neighbourhood becomes 'popular" it tends to 'expand" and it will contract if it is 'unfashionable".

There is actually a Corktown thread so maybe all this Corktown talk would be better there?

…I'm willing to bet that the word 'Corktown' is being seriously considered as part of the name ('Corktown Landing', something like that?) for the as yet un-marketed market condo now rising on Bayview at Lawren Harris Square.

I like that a lot! I'm hoping that it's not named Canary District II :rolleyes:

…although by naming the park in the West Don Lands 'Corktown Common', it's inevitable that the boundaries above will morph over the years to include what's under construction now. I wonder if someday we'll know the West Don Lands area as 'New Corktown'. I'm willing to bet that the word 'Corktown' is being seriously considered as part of the name ('Corktown Landing', something like that?) for the as yet un-marketed market condo now rising on Bayview at Lawren Harris Square.

I think that the name "West Don Lands" was never really intended to be a neighbourhood name, but rather a way in which to divide Waterfront Toronto's extensive development area. The area encompassed by the West Don Lands has historically been stitched into the fabric of what we now know as Corktown. It was only after heavy industrialization that it lost it's 'Corktown' character. I'd be happy to see it become part of the neighbourhood once again.

That stretch of King between Parliament and River is one of my favourite stretches in all of Toronto. Quiet, out of the way, but still very much in the city. Always loved it over there. It's got its own vibe.

What went wrong? I'm trying to figure it out myself. Because like you said it started out great, but now it's just a mass of overdevelopment or something.

The City empties itself of vision, leadership, oversight and responsibility and lets the developers run wild. And the public, outside UT types, doesn't care. The City is a reflection of the public. We're all responsible for this mess to some degree.

Last edited:
The City empties itself of vision, leadership, oversight and responsibility and lets the developers run wild. And the public, outside UT types, doesn't care. The City is a reflection of the public. We're all responsible for this mess to some degree.

I've always heard people complaining about "ugly" development in Liberty Village. One problem in terms of civic engagement is that unless people pay attention to sites like Urban Toronto and go to city meetings, they won't know what's going up until it's actually built. So it's important to go to those meetings and pay attention to the proposals that can be found here on Urban Toronto.

They were planting lots of trees along Cherry Street yesterday afternoon and again this morning. Didn't have my camera with me, but I will try and take shots later...

And now back on topic please! As promised:

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

With 4 rows of trees and a dedicated streetcar ROW, this transformation of Cherry Street is turning out to be awesome :D

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 624
Some more miscellaneous photos of the Village and area:

Old Eastern Ave

IMG_0034.jpg

Un-named Market Condo

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

Looking West along Front Street (well, the street isn't in yet, but they are working on it!)

IMG_0041.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 544
Cherry St is already turning out so much nicer than I could have imagined. Major league urban boner! Nice pics RC1

Thanks a lot guys! Much appreciated :D As someone who will be using this street to get down to Lakeshore (to get to the Gardiner) every workday, and as someone who loves trees and leafy streets, I'm beyond excited to see it finally open soon. I think that WT has done a top notch job here and its well worth the wait. It will be a great road to start the morning commute and it will be a nice drive home to end the day.

Back