Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

I really like the black brick aesthetic that is so prevalent downtown now. Photos taken 20 August 2013.

IMG_5062_1-XL.jpg

IMG_5060_1-L.jpg

IMG_5070_1-L.jpg

And another pic of my favourite new park!

IMG_5075_1-L.jpg

Last edited:
I was tad disappointed when I noticed the charcoal brick last week. Renderings showed a red/brown brick, which I was looking forward to. While I do love charcoal and black bricks used on most other projects, I'm thinking that it may be just a bit much here in the West Don Lands with all the buildings being grey, black or white.

Even the coloured spandrel inserts of George Brown residences were supposed to be orange or blue, but then changed to white.

Not sure if they are trying to look different than the Distillery with all the red brick there. If so, they are doing a great job. I'm still keeping an open mind because it may look super classy upon completion being relatively uniform and with tons of greenery lining the streets and in Corktown Common.

My spies at Soulpepper tell me that Cherry Street may be open in the next couple of weeks.
That's what they have been advertising ("end of September".) You can now walk to the Mill/Cherry corner and along Cherry to the Soulpepper emergency exits - not yet , unfortunately, to the eastern entrance to the Distillery but I guess that will come soon.

Everything is so god damned grey in this neighbourhood. The "Canary District" doesn't have a single strip of yellow, or any other colour, for that matter. It's just 50 shades of grey (mixed with black & white) so why not name the neighbourhood after the book. It would be more representative of its real distinguishing feature. (overwhelming greyness)

Everything is so god damned grey in this neighbourhood. The "Canary District" doesn't have a single strip of yellow, or any other colour, for that matter. It's just 50 shades of grey (mixed with black & white) so why not name the neighbourhood after the book. It would be more representative of its real distinguishing feature. (overwhelming greyness)

Let's wait and see, but likely this will end up being a valid critique. For all the West Don Lands' likely successes, there's not much hope for colour here, as per usual in this city.

Hopefully they will have large, colourful planters, or other splashes of colour in the street furniture and public art (sculptures, banners, etc.).

Last edited:

Tone it down, dude. It's one thing to post (only) persistently negative comments about Toronto water features, or old neon signs, or whatever else happens to bother you about our awesome city, but it's quite another to use profanity in a public forum. I'm offended by launguage like that being a Christian, plus young people read these posts too...not just grumpy people. Have some respect and manners please.

The "Canary District" doesn't have a single strip of yellow, or any other colour, for that matter.

I think that the "Canary" thing is a reference to the old building at the corner of Cherry and Front, as opposed to a direct reference to the bird. Colour was never a given here, although a splash of something primary would go a long way.

Tone it down, dude. It's one thing to post (only) persistently negative comments about Toronto water features, or old neon signs, or whatever else happens to bother you about our awesome city, but it's quite another to use profanity in a public forum. I'm offended by launguage like that being a Christian, plus young people read these posts too...not just grumpy people. Have some respect and manners please.

My apologies to all the Christians out there, as I didn't realize I was using profanity. I should have dropped the god reference but as for the complaining, if this city keeps doing things that I consider counter productive, I will keep complaining about it. We are a first rate city, in a first rate country, so I think we should expect a lot better.

I realize the Canary referred to the restaurant, I just didn't realize all the renderings that had colour, would end up being all grey. No matter how much you guys all love grey spandrel, at a certain point, can we not demand something a bit more interesting? Must 75% of all our new buildings be grey for the rest of eternity? Please, somebody, start a new trend.

Last edited:
I'm offended by launguage like that being a Christian, plus young people read these posts too...not just grumpy people. Have some respect and manners please.

Oh FFS I'm offended by the sheer stupidity shown in this post towards language that's as anodyne and commonplace as "goddamn". Do you know how this word pales in comparison to others freely accessible on the internet, Flanders?? And do you go into high dudgeon and write to tv stations that dare broadcast this hideously profane and offensive utterance?? Uh-uh.

Freedom of speech must necessarily include the license to offend, because mere offence doesn't inflict social harm. But social harm does occur when moral crusaders invariably seek to restrict language or expression based purely on religious grounds.

So if you don't like someone's diction, go complain to a mod. Otherwise piss off and go pray for their soul.

Oh FFS I'm offended by the sheer stupidity shown in this post towards language that's as anodyne and commonplace as "goddamn". Do you know how this word pales in comparison to others freely accessible on the internet, Flanders?? And do you go into high dudgeon and write to tv stations that dare broadcast this hideously profane and offensive utterance?? Uh-uh.

Freedom of speech must necessarily include the license to offend, because mere offence doesn't inflict social harm. But social harm does occur when moral crusaders invariably seek to restrict language or expression based purely on religious grounds.

So if you don't like someone's diction, go complain to a mod. Otherwise piss off and go pray for their soul.

Absolutely goddamn right.

But just to add to some of tv's points, why is the default colour of this city grey? Why is the default shape a box? And why is the default material glass and spandrel? Because people aren't complaining! Folks, we can and should do better, much better. We all need to do a collective Howard Beale and get mad as hell over the increasing visual mediocrity of this struggling, but failing, to be great city. Only then will things start to improve.

Last edited:
The two most nearly complete buildings ( all grey) look like they are actually unfinished , with what looks like the innards of the walls exposed... Awful!

Back