Toronto Ontario Square and Canada Square | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Something similar to the Cheonggyecheon would be good for maybe University Avenue, sing There is already space, but Canada Square would be a bit to small for a stream as water feature.

why have a stream when you have the entire lake a few steps to the south ... some fountains or a relatively small pond maybe ...

The only thing I could see working is if this stream was somehow incorpated with the lake it self ... flowed into it or something along those lines. Those fountains would be nice on University! We have very few fountains in this city ... a few nice ones would be great.

But, making it step down to the lake would contradict the direction of the Sir Adam Beck memorial, among other things...

Maybe it could step down, and actually into the lake with a massive water feature, lit at night, that boats could moor around. Would make a nice focus for the inner harbour, with the islands to the south. A good focus for future Canada Day celebrations too.

Update from WT on Canada Square - from the September 10 Design Review Panel Meeting Minutes (p. 2 of PDF)

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//4910b0315e440.pdf

Canada Square
- The consultant team has identified a compromise proposal that reduces the amount of below-grade parking and provides sufficient revenue-generating potential to finance construction of the garage and the new park with only a small remaining funding gap, which Harbourfront Centre is looking into raising itself. A draft report is being prepared and the public will be consulted.

AoD

some renderings from the &Co website.

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-1.jpg

It does look pretty boring. Nothing fun or exciting about it. I don't see anything there that would make me want to go there.

mmm...i don't know yet, the rendering is very simple, so i think it's too early to critique. do you remember what the early renderings of coupland's park, museum house, and casa looked like? not to mention countless others.

anyway, let's just assume those renderings show exactly how it will look. yes, its very reserved, especially compared to DTAH's plans. but still, it looks playful. more public space and boardwalk is definitely welcome. remember, it's not the design for the entire waterfront.

I think the massing is fine, but the design is pretty tacky - it clashes with the rest of the West 8/DTAH scheme in terms of vocabulary terribly. And that huge platform at the edge of the lake - just what is one supposed to do with 'it'?

AoD

wylie:

That was the intent of the West 8/DTAH plan - to create something village like at that space. They followed that aspect, at least.

AoD

They best refine and enhance that design, because right now it's quite disappointing. It's not monumental as the name would suggest, and doesn't seem to be inspired by that name.

Yes, once again...another small, boring statement. Considering the crowds the waterfront attracts it needs bigger space to accommodate these crowds; this does nothing. And how long does it take to pave over a surface parking lot and call it a 'square'???? And this is the best they can do?? What the waterfront needs is something like Federation Square in Melbourne.

Back