Toronto Ontario Square and Canada Square | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Ahh, Canada Square. Another Liberal "gift" to Toronto that just keeps on giving. Like Blue22.

My favourite is Downsview Park. Heck, that might just start during the next Liberal administration.

Martin pulled the funding for Canada Park because it was a Chretien project.
Heck, the Liberals promised a heck of a lot of funding for the waterfront and never delivered.

It would be great if we had an international competition for this site. There is so much potential and so much room that something really creative can be done.

Study in Progress

That rendering was only a concept and def will not be the final product.

I've followed this project closely and is def alive and kicking. To be clear the $25 million confirmed by the federal government will only pay for the new underground parking structure.

Harbourfront Centre is now in the process of studying ways to fund and program the space above, and is following the design recommendations by Waterfront Toronto to create a new aminated public square at the site.

Back in the spring of this year, Harbourfront Centre sent out a RFP seeking a study and design on how the new underground parking revenue from below could support the new public square, retail, cafe and cultural spaces above it.

This project is well underway and as someone has already mentioned is on track to be completed by 2010.

Louroz

Thanks FMayorMississauga for the update. It's nice seeing Harbourfront come together in so many little ways, and I've always thought that this project above all others has the capacity to truly change the waterfront for the better. I look forward to seeing some action on the file later this year.

There is talk that this parking structure or another will house tour buses. It is to get them off QQ since they cause traffic issues in the first place. Still in the work.

A square called "Canada" should be a monumental place in Canada's largest city. In the rendering, it just looks like the average waterfront public space, monumental only in name. It needs more work.

The first phase of the project was finished years ago if I'm not mistaken.

There is talk that this parking structure or another will house tour buses. It is to get them off QQ since they cause traffic issues in the first place. Still in the work.

This is a very big issue along Queen's Quay. It is not unusual to see 15-20 schoolbuses, tour buses, WheelTrans, etc. blocking an entire lane of traffic for several blocks. They will need some where to park especially if the city is going to go ahead with the make-over/bike line plan along this stretch.

And another thing: does there really need to be 15 taxis sitting in front of the Harbour Westin everyday? There are many side streets close by that they can wait on until they're called over.

End of rant.

I'm just re-reading the Request for a Feasibility Report again. Which was actually issued in March 2007.

The project scope is huge. The new underground parking garage structure will contain 700 stalls, hence the initial $25 million price tag. This is far greater than what is being offered in the current surface lot, however with the increase number of stalls, comes more revenue for Harbourfront Centre.

The new public square, retail and cultural spaces above will cover 3.5 acres.

The report was asking for an "Urban Retail Strategy" that will support a year-round vibrant urban square to be prepared.

A traffic study was also required, which would work in concert with the Queen's Quay Public Realm EA.

Finally, a Capital Investment Plan Options is also being worked on, that will outline a creative financial plan to bay for the new square and buildings.

I'm going to follow up with the staff person and see where the project is at the moment.

Louroz

A square called "Canada" should be a monumental place in Canada's largest city. In the rendering, it just looks like the average waterfront public space, monumental only in name. It needs more work.

No doubt aboot it, eh?

Seriously though, I totally agree.

Toronto doesn't do 'monumental' in a very good or convincing way. Not that I don't think it should try.

Once upon a time we did! Those days are long gone and have shriveled up and died in a ditch, somewhere between Dixie and Lakeshore. Its a shame really.
Now Toronto prescribes to the "ahhh..is anyone looking?..No? Good, that should do it" mentality.

p5

Back