Toronto Ontario Square and Canada Square | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Can somebody tell me what the purpose of the Ontario Square is? (the one above the parking lot) It looks like such a useless piece of land. Are people supposed to sit there and watch the cars come and go from the parking lot? Is that the main feature because right now, I can't see anything else to do at that little chunk of concrete. Oh, maybe we are supposed to while away the hours, looking at the cluster of skinny trees on that parking lot? Yes, talk about exciting. It really lives up to its name, "Ontario Square". (trees & concrete, oh and let's not forget that bench)

Harbourfront, what the hell were you thinking?

Last edited:
Can somebody tell me what the purpose of the Ontario Square is? (the one above the parking lot) It looks like such a useless piece of land. Are people supposed to sit there and watch the cars come and go from the parking lot? Is that the main feature because right now, I can't see anything else to do at that little chunk of concrete. Oh, maybe we are supposed to while away the hours, looking at the cluster of skinny trees on that parking lot? Yes, talk about exciting. It really lives up to its name, "Ontario Square". (trees & concrete, oh and let's not forget that bench)

Harbourfront, what the hell were you thinking?

Nuts to all this carping. Have a look at MVVA's other "boring" park along the Hudson River, and see how many people are sitting and lying about on a summer day, or summer evening.

^^ Dah, it's on the river, not surrounded by a parking lot and the back end of buildings. Would you rather sit beside a river (with a view of Brooklyn) or an empty square surrounded by buses? You do realize that the square is surrounded by an above ground parking area for buses? Why would one hang out in Ontario Square, when the lake promenade is a 30 second walk away? It sure as hell better have some entertainment, animation or something, if it's to be of use to people. As is, it's dull, dull, dull.

Last edited:
Talk about dull, dull, dull. This park is indisguishable from any number of other parks around the city, not a single unique or engaging thing about it. What a waste.

I'm glad we're getting an upgrade, but have to agree. Parks/public squares aren't something Toronto does well. They're almost always very low brow. Can we not get one sophisticated design like Bryant Park? Where are the manicured hedges, granite, cast iron fencing/lamp posts, etc. Our new parks/public squares never seem to come off looking very cosmopolitan or cultured.

With the exception of that park in Yorkville, the only ones that impress were designed and built a century ago: Allan Gardens?

Last edited:
But do Torontonians want a manicured park like Bryant Park?

Build parks in the same style as current Torontonians use. See what the most popular parks in Toronto and copy those. You can't beat a pattern that people like.

But also ask Torontonians what they want in a park too. Ask for examples. Maybe people don't want that manicured style. Allan Gardens doesn't seem all that busy whenever I pass by it.

Sherbourne Common and Sugar Beach are of extremely high construction quality, ditto the to be opened Don River Park. One thing to note re: Ontario Square is that it has to accommodate 9 school buses laying by on the site at any given time; that and the positioning imposed by the ramp to the parking garage. That said, the materials used could have been a bit more delicate (granite vs. concrete pavers, granite clad planting beds, etc) - that's a budget issue.

DKsan:

There is no evidence that a) Torontonians don't prefer manicured parks and b) Torontonians would avoid using manicured parks. Allan Gardens isn't "busy" for a whole host of other reasons.

AoD

Last edited:
Personally, I'm glad that we got what we did here until they can put something else on the site, like a new retail/gallery/community space of some sort. The long-term plan is that buildings will go around the site from what I understand, and I prefer what we got for the meantime over some sort of condo development to help fund the project. It's a nice space and an improvement to the waterfront, and one day when funding is there, it can be made even better.

^^ Dah, it's on the river, not surrounded by a parking lot and the back end of buildings. Would you rather sit beside a rive (with a view of Brooklyn) or an empty square surrounded by buses? You do realize that the square is surrounded by an above ground parking area for buses? Why would one hang out in Ontario Square, when the lake promenade is a 30 second walk away? It sure as hell better have some entertainment, animation or something, if it's to be of use to people. As is, it's dull, dull, dull.

Actually they're pretty similar. Hudson River Park has a waterfront promenade like ours, and small programmed parks along the way. Immediately behind, a busy 6 lane road. Sound familiar? And the view, which is of New Jersey, is a little underwhelming.

Actually they're pretty similar. Hudson River Park has a waterfront promenade like ours, and small programmed parks along the way. Immediately behind, a busy 6 lane road. Sound familiar? And the view, which is of New Jersey, is a little underwhelming.
I wouldn't even think of comparing Hudson River Park to this park. For one they had much less land to work with, and I still think their final product turned out way better than this. It's also much nicer that they have peirs that take the park goers out onto the water, and the small berm (grassy knoll) provides great sepatation from the Westside Highway.

Does the music garden actually get used? I've never seen (or heard) a performance going on there, and the airport noise in that area can be a little loud.

Oh yes; There are concerts there every summer. The 2013 schedule does not seem to be posted yet but last summer The Harbourfront Centre (who put them on) said:

Celebrating 13 years of free concerts in a magical setting!

Curated for Harbourfront Centre by Tamara Bernstein

Treat yourself to free, outstanding performances of classical and traditional music from around the world, as the popular Summer Music in the Garden returns with another superb season.

Concerts take place in the Toronto Music Garden most Thursdays at 7pm and Sundays at 4pm and are approximately one hour in length.

Thank you for reminding me! Add to Summer fun-things-to-do-list: #10) Toronto Music Garden

Such an awesome park :D

Back