Toronto Ontario Square and Canada Square | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

It is a concern that it's unclear just what the focus of this public square is supposed to be. If it's just to beautify the area, that's not enough for a public space to be successful.

The Cultural Landscape portion of the site is temporary and looking at earlier renders, will probably be replaced with a mixed-used building in the future.

We just can't seem to do urban squares properly in this city. Where's the giant Simcoe statue that was supposed to be part of this?

Next to that statue of Victoria that was supposed to go in front of Old City Hall back in the day.

We need a new City Beautiful movement!

I agree with the sentiment that Toronto cannot seem to get the idea of a public square right, and I would love to have seen some 'monumental' gesture of public art/sculpture/fountain here for sure! That said, the continued planting of trees along the waterfront is most welcomed and will make an enormous difference over time as the trees mature. This will truly be transformative!

I really do not think its a matter of "Toronto cannot ..." rather, there is never enough money allocated to these projects to allow for anything grand.

Think of it this way, if you have a very limited budget, and can afford a fountain, OR nice paving / plantings / seating so on ... most will argue you are better off going for the later. Moreover, fountains have expensive maintenance costs.

I'm not justifying it by the way ! This can be throughout Toronto, use the remake of College Park for an example, such a limited budget was allotted ...

Indeed. In fact you can argue that Don River Park, Sherbourne Park, Sugar Beach and QQ redo all count as anomalies - take QQ as an example, since when have we heard of any public realm projecthat cost 100M in Toronto, adjusted or otherwise?

The closest attempt I can think of in recent memory is Yorkville Park in the late 80s/early 90s - and do recall the kerfuffle over the block of stone in the middle of the park and how much it cost. It was practically a major scandal over something other cities wouldn't even have sneezed over.

AoD

I think it's sort of laughable that people think this area will be underused when it is completed. It is sitting between two cultural buildings, a shopping mall, a future cultural building and is directly connected to two lakeside trails and the lake. Let's curb our hyperbole, folks.

I'm getting the feeling people want a big artwork here, and that's what their definition of "doing a public square right" is. Although I wouldn't mind a sculpture, IIRC, the point of Canada Square is to create a natural ampitheatre-like space, framed by redwoods. This sounds pretty good to me.

^^ It seems to me, it's more a place to park buses. OK, so Canada Square is meant to be an open, empty, amphitheatre type space? Is it to be mainly used for entertainment? That doesn't sound like a public square.

Now what about Ontario Square? What is the purpose of that? It also seems to be an open area surrounded by planters & trees. What is the purpose of building another square that seems to have the same purpose as the first square? What is the difference between the 2 squares and if there is no real difference, why have 2 different names? (why not just Canada Square for both?) If there is no event or entertainment there, why would a person sit there, when just a short walk away, you can sit in a much more animated area and see the water? Most tourists and Torontonians will probably continue to go closer to the water, where the larger crowds are, unless there is something to animate the square. Even if there are events held in the square, the vast majority of the time, it will probably sit unused because right now, there just isn't much to it. All that exposed concrete is not too inviting.

What is the difference between Ontario Square (the one that is mostly completed) and the new walkway between the aquarium and the CN Tower? They both have new paving stones, cement planters with trees and benches. They look very much the same, from what I've seen, except the Harbourfront square has a few extra feet of space but not much more. . So should we consider the walkway at the CN Tower, a public square or does a public square require something more? If a public square only requires some paving stones, planters with trees and a few benches, then we would have to say that Toronto has dozens of public squares but shouldn't a proper public square be more than that?

YES, I want to see art, fountains, gardens, statues, monuments and be impressed/inspired/delighted. I'm not seeing any of that at either Canada Square or Ontario Square, so far. Maybe I just don't know what the real purpose of those squares are. Maybe they are not meant to be real squares at all but so far, I have not seen any info to tell me what those squares are really for, except the small bit I read about bus parking for students. All I know, is that when you call something a public square, instead of a parking lot, it leads people to have certain expectations. When you name it Ontario/Canada Square, well, you raise the expectations even higher because now it takes on a more patriotic meaning.

Shouldn't there be some higher expectation from the public, once you name a square after a province and a country? I would think so.

Last edited:
Something grand doesn't have to be that expensive. It's a matter of imagination and of catering to the desires brought on by the surroundings. Toronto's waterfront is somewhat of a tease. We have this gorgeous front step with water along the entire city with a view of the lake that goes on forever. But we can't go in. In fact, the waterfront has been designed deliberately so that we can't even dip our toes in. What's missing is a water feature that we can engage with, get wet if we like. I would have loved to see something like Millenium Park's Crown Fountain here. It's one of the best examples of this urban water engagement.

Maybe there will be an opportunity at the foot of Yonge St. Perhaps a wave deck that goes into the water with a shallow pool of clean water merging into a seamless transition in the quay to the lake.

Regardless of the "missed opportunity", I'm very happy to see the planting of mature trees that I'll actually be able to see and enjoy fully grown within my lifetime.

Talk about dull, dull, dull. This park is indisguishable from any number of other parks around the city, not a single unique or engaging thing about it. What a waste.

Canada Square opens July 1

May 5
8728238817_a6a8af3bca_b.jpg

8729414362_073d58b4d6_b.jpg

8728297315_f3dd5285da_b.jpg

Back