Toronto Ontario Square and Canada Square | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

This excerpt from the WaterfrontToronto September newsletter (available here) would indicate a parking structure completely underground.

Phase Two of the York Quay Revitalization Project Officially Underway

Waterfront Toronto and Harbourfront Centre have issued a Request for Proposal for a design team for Phase Two of the York Quay Revitalization Project (formerly known as the Canada Square Project). The project was renamed to better describe the revitalization efforts of the York Quay section of Harbourfront Centre’s four hectare site. The revitalization of this area, much of which is currently covered by a surface parking lot, will include a public plaza called Canada Square as one of its defining features.

The first phase of the York Quay Revitalization Project — the promenade, boardwalk and finger piers around York and John Quays — was completed by Waterfront Toronto and Harbourfront Centre in 2006. Phase two, which is now getting underway, sets the stage for Waterfront Toronto and Harbourfront Centre to transform the York Quay site into a lively cultural village featuring two beautiful public squares and a “village–like†area with diverse retail and cultural uses.

Phase two work will include the planning and design of the overall York Quay cultural village site and any necessary applications and zoning amendments. Also included is the construction of an underground parking garage which replaces the current surface lot and opens up the waterfront site for initial landscaping for Canada Square and interim treatments for the urban square and cultural village.

Full build out of the retail, commercial and studio spaces expected to become part of the cultural village will occur at a later date as part of phase three.

Public consultation is an important part of this project. A Stakeholder Advisory Committee has been formed and will meet regularly at key project milestones. Waterfront Toronto and Harbourfront Centre will hold a public meeting later this fall once a design team is in place.

I really wish that updated renderings of the square/squares were available, the last bunch were a bit uninspired, even though I realize they were not what is intended to be built.

Still, after many years of inaction, I'm vaguely pleased that some action seems to be happening on this site.

Considering it is "Canada Square", I'd really like to see some sort of monument in the "square". It seems like a perfect opportunity to finally put up something that speaks to this country's history. Not sure what it should be, but I'd be very disappointed in a square named after Canada that doesn't acknowledge Canada beyond a token flag.

As I understand Canada Square from the Waterfront Toronto site it's a work in progress, aside from the below grade parking (which needs special access and a level dedicated for all those buses that park along Queens Quay) community consultations are ongoing. Hopefully we'll get something interesting and iconic here, the will seems to be in place to achieve this.

They are going to have a Service Canada office and a souvenir shop selling maple syrup and T-shirts with beavers and RCMP dress uniforms on them.

Well they already have the Service Canada office covered. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use it though, so perhaps a tourist shop would make that building a bit more useful.

Really, is that not the weirdest place for a Service Canada office? Seriously, you're talking about a arts/culture/festivals/tourist hub and in the middle of it all you have a glass building where people can apply for their SIN card. It'd be like having a Service Britain building in Leicester Square or a Service France building outside the Louvre. Just strange.

Not a fan of the Houston Lady at all. Yikes. They need a giant statue of an oil rig. Or maybe tweak the lady idea and have her wearing a flack jacket and an NRA cap and carrying a rifle.

I am a judgemental pr**k.

I love how they wrote in the article too; "Time is passing by and we have no icon" So lets build an ugly silver woman that is 555 ft tall that looks absolutely mental....

I swear Houston and people from Woodbridge...not that different me thinks..

Back