Daily Commercial News

3 levels of underground parking are proposed beneath Canada Square :) ~

PARKING GARAGE, PUBLIC GATHERING AREA, PARK
Proj: 9065571-9
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
CONTEMPLATED
Canada Square, btw Queen's Quay Terminal and the Power Plant art gallery, S2S
$25,000,000 est

Note: Cons has completed feasibility study and engineering study. Federal funding has been secured. A Request for Proposals (RFP) for Architects to completed Detailed design is anticipated Fall/Winter, 2009. The RFP will be issued by Waterfront Toronto. Schedules for design, tender and construction will be set early 2010. Further update Winter, 2009.

Project: proposed construction of a public gathering area, including outdoor community centres and stages and parkland above a three storey parking structure. The project will also include a retail component. This project will be built between Queen's Quay Terminal and the Power Plant art gallery.

Scope: 1 storey; 3 storeys below grade; 3 structures

Development: New

Category: Parking bldgs; Public bldgs; Misc engineering

First report Wed Jun 13, 2007. Last report Wed Feb 18, 2009.
This report Thu Aug 20, 2009.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=945ab089449c54e15df367d199b4f2f677474379&projectid=9065571&region=ontario

Daily Commercial News

PARKING GARAGE, PUBLIC GATHERING AREA, PARK
Proj: 9065571-10
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
CONTEMPLATED
Canada Square Phase Two, btw Queen's Quay Terminal and the Power Plant art gallery, S2S
$25,000,000 est

Note: A Request For Proposals (RFP) for Architects to complete detailed design and Working drawings was issued September, 2009 by the Owner. Submissions are under review. An Architect will be secured late 2009. Schedules for design will be finalized early 2010. Request For Proposals (RFP) from Construction Managers is expected late 2009/early 2010. Further update December, 2009.

Project: proposed construction of a three storey parking structure and two public squares, to include outdoor community gathering spaces and stages. This project will be built between Queen's Quay Terminal and the Power Plant art gallery. Phase One, landscaping projects for the development of York Quay are more than 50 percent complete. Phase Three, construction of 100,000 sq ft of retail on the site will be followed under report number 9110284.

Scope: 3 storeys; 1 storey below grade

Development: New

Category: Parking bldgs; Public bldgs; Misc engineering

First report Wed Jun 13, 2007. Last report Thu Aug 20, 2009.
This report Mon Nov 16, 2009.

Uhhh, Daily Commercial News better be wrong about the floor count again: "3 storeys; 1 storey below grade" better not be right if that refers to the parking garage. In fact, they must be wrong, as the garage is certainly intended to be underground.

That would be quite expensive to build an underground parking garage on top of landfill, wouldn't it? I wouldn't mind an above ground garage, provided that the garage was on the interior of a larger building, with other uses surrounding it

It shouldn't be too difficult to remove the landfill, and move it off to fill land somewhere else for a change. One would think that they would want to go down to bedrock if they are building anything substantial there anyway.

That would be quite expensive to build an underground parking garage on top of landfill, wouldn't it? I wouldn't mind an above ground garage, provided that the garage was on the interior of a larger building, with other uses surrounding it

Seriously? You want another large building on this site? there's already QQT, the Power Plant and Harbourfront Centre. We already have enough above ground parking garages taking up prime real estate on our waterfront.

One would think that they would want to go down to bedrock if they are building anything substantial there anyway.

Wouldn't that make for a subterranean skyscraper?

The condos built in the last 10 years managed underground parking so it's not much of a big deal

Wouldn't that make for a subterranean skyscraper?

Huh? Large buildings in this city often hit bedrock at lower parking levels, it's usually not that far below the surface. That said, I have no idea how deep it is here.

In any case we are both saying that it would not be a problem to dig here.

The idea is to get rid of the parking that is there now and provide more under the yet to be developed public space (Canada Square) above.

Huh? Large buildings in this city often hit bedrock at lower parking levels, it's usually not that far below the surface. That said, I have no idea how deep it is here.

This area used to be under water so I imagine it's significantly lower than the approximately 4 storeys down in the core. For instance, MLS is 7 floors and I don't remember seeing bedrock at the bottom.

Seriously? You want another large building on this site? there's already QQT, the Power Plant and Harbourfront Centre. We already have enough above ground parking garages taking up prime real estate on our waterfront.

Why not? At least buildings are usable year-round. What's the point of a barren, wind-swept plaza that only gets used for four months of the year?

Why not? At least buildings are usable year-round. What's the point of a barren, wind-swept plaza that only gets used for four months of the year?

Yikes. No massive above ground garages making access to the lake rare and difficult please. Smaller ground level retail is meant to surround two public plazas, so... while we don't know the exact layout yet... one can hope they've been planned to be not too wind-swept.

This area used to be under water so I imagine it's significantly lower than the approximately 4 storeys down in the core. For instance, MLS is 7 floors and I don't remember seeing bedrock at the bottom.

I thought it did hit the shale. ShangriLa is deep into the Dundas shale - it hit it half way down, about 4 floors below grade, and a bit below the Adjacent subway line. Anyway, that's no indication of how deep it is here, nor is the fact that Lake Ontario was once over this site: how do we know how much lake sediment sits above the rock?

I think it's fair to say this area of the waterfront area is widely used and enjoyed for more like 7 - 8 months of the year and heavily used June through August.

Back