Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

From Global:

While the existing parking lot on the site can already host 700 vehicles, the Ministry of Infrastructure estimated the government would need to spend another $307 million to build an underground structure to accommodate another 2,000 vehicles.
---
The auditor discovered that the government’s obligation to build those spaces between 2028 and 2030 is, in part, driving the province’s decision to move the Ontario Science Centre to Ontario Place.

“The submission proposed that the new parking be integrated with the new Ontario Science Centre building in order to dispel public/stakeholder concerns relating to cost and impact on the environment,” the auditor’s report said.

Compare and contrast that to the amount of capital funding for OSC.

AoD

“The submission proposed that the new parking be integrated with the new Ontario Science Centre building in order to dispel public/stakeholder concerns relating to cost and impact on the environment,” the auditor’s report said.
Absolutely f***ing hilarious. So, we’re on the hook for a multi-hundred-million dollar parking garage being built in landfill next to a lake, and to hide the impact of this crazy decision they decided to move the OSC on top of it?

What kind of deals did Doug engineer at Deco Labels? Cause this one is…pretty damn bad.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 1.42.27 PM.png

Given this news, do we think we can expect at least one more major redesign? Moving the parking has pretty big structural implications, no?

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 2.00.04 PM.png

Not on the West Island but underneath and incorporated into the entry pavilion on the western segment of the mainland side. It would also potentially effect the design of the Science Centre Pavillion, which also goes underground. Maybe it stays pretty much the same and you just don't dig as big of a hole? I don't know, that's what I'm asking here, if anyone has any insight into that.

Thats a massive development. maybe we can turn that massive ashfault wasteland into a big park.
After reading the report, it seems the news has this wrong, the auditor said the DBFM costs werent added to either the new science center build OR the renovation of the old science center. Therefore "incomplete info"

A 2,000 space above grade parking structure on the Exhibition grounds is still going to cost the guts of $150M in hard construction costs.

A 2,000 space above grade parking structure on the Exhibition grounds is still going to cost the guts of $150M in hard construction costs.

Which suggests that the answer is not to build a parking garage at all, or at least not one anywhere near so large, and to abandon the idea of Therme entirely and to legislate that notwithstanding any agreement to the contrary than no breakup fee be paid.

If doing that made doing business w/the government of Ontario less likely, I'm all for it.

I recognize there would be consequences, but I would argue the benefits would be greater, over time.

I'm not intrinsically opposed to relocating the OSC, I am opposed to doing it this way, with so little thought and clearly looking out the best interest of a foreign, for-profit proponent, not for the citizens of Ontario, the environment or our heritage, be it natural, architectural or otherwise.

Abandoning Moriyama's beautiful and masterful SC building to justify creating a parking garage is just about the perfect encapsulation of this current Conservative government's mindset I've seen yet.
Goons.
And scratch Doug a little, and he'll tell you that most Ontarians don't give two hoots about "Moriyama's beautiful and masterful SC building", much less about who Moriyama is.

Reactions: max
Oops, I misremembered this one and it was actually Rob that said it about Kevin Spacey
Lest we forget

Back