Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

More grass and trees (which we already have in that spot anyway) is fine but what are they going to do to Make Ontario Place (and the CNE) into a "world class attraction"? That's what I want to know. Putting more parks along the waterfront is the cheap and easy thing to do. I hope it's not gonna be just randomly placed trees with grass and a few benches. We have too much of that around the city as it is. I want design that is new and original, not the same old, same old.

From what I understand, this is just one small section of Ontario Place; still no official word on what is happening to the rest of it.

Designing a cool park is a start but they still need to figure out what Ontario Place is supposed to be. If they need it to make money or at least not lose too much they are going to need to figure out a way to get people to pay to go there. Perhaps a proper amusement park with rides that are not just for kids. A lot of people downtown don't want to go all the way to Wonderland.

Well with the expansion of the Spadina line, it won't exactly be that difficult to reach Wonderland. Just a short bus ride away.

I agree though, the province needs to decide what it is supposed to be. I think it could have a very strong role in Toronto's cultural life while maintaining its day-time kids amusement park. I know I would love to go to Ontario Place on Friday nights with friends if they offered the appropriate attractions.

More grass and trees (which we already have in that spot anyway) is fine but what are they going to do to Make Ontario Place (and the CNE) into a "world class attraction"? That's what I want to know. Putting more parks along the waterfront is the cheap and easy thing to do. I hope it's not gonna be just randomly placed trees with grass and a few benches. We have too much of that around the city as it is. I want design that is new and original, not the same old, same old.

This is an opportunity to build something incredible, like Millenium Park. I really hope they don't waste this opportunity.

I'm as optimistic as the next person. But I don't believe there has been one public development that meets or ecxeeds expectation. I am hoping the renovated Union Station will buck the trend.

Like said above, they need to figure out what Ontario Place should be. They can't expect people to just come down for the trails. That's just attracting the same crowd who uses the Martin Goodman Trail. There needs to be a draw. Even if its a manmade community full of condos/retail, there has to be something!

More observational, but a little cynical yes. Unfortunately I 70% agree.

As long as they keep the pods and Cinesphere I will be mostly happy. If they demolish them it would take a miracle for me to like what they do here.

This group seems to have done a good job with Governer's Island in NY. Hopefully they'll do something with a more urban vibe at Ontario Place.

This is an opportunity to build something incredible, like Millenium Park. I really hope they don't waste this opportunity.

I'm confident that it's in good hands with West-8 as long as there's a decent budget attached. I do think that we're led to be cynical because the City never has the kind of budget we'd hope to get for some of our city building projects. But this is the Province. They do have money and they're not often afraid to spend it. If this is to be a legacy project for the Liberals proudly stamped with the Ontario logo everywhere, I think they're not going to come up short in the budget department.

Back