Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

I think you're reading too much into the decision - the park will make up only a minor portion of the site, and as mentioned before it is highly unlikely you can build parking at the location given it's surrounded by water on all sides. The parking along Lakeshore remains untouched by this plan.

Besides, this location will actually be the closest to any extension of the Island Airport runway if it occurs.

AoD

Is this the parking in question?

If so, I don't know how you can possibly build or operate a major facility at OP without this parking.

null-7.jpg

The parking you highlighted is staying, aside from the portion that is already park like (east of the roadway).

It's the parking to the south of that, across the bridge and the paved area (hump) to the east of the waterslides that appears to become parkland.

Oh.

Well I guess it likely doesn't really matter since John Tory's report called for the majority of Ontario Place’s 155 acres of land and water to be turned into a public park, with the rest given over to businesses, residences, entertainment venues, and maybe a resort hotel.

I think its pretty clear the Province wont be making a substantive investment in OP. they will likely piecemeal it to parkland parcels and a few condo projects - end of story.

I also think its up to a group like UT to make it clear to the Province what is expected of them at Ontario Place. Unless we are satisfied with this weak-ass plan. Personally, I think this plan sucks. Toronto deserves better - especially given that the GTA is Ontario's economic engine and provides 75% of Provincial revenues.

A residential component would change things immensely. Both the 509 and 511 are currently over capacity at peak times because of the residential increase over the past few years.

Is this really true - any documentation? The 511 is empty from Bathurst and Fleet to Exhibition Loop every time I see it. That's a full one-third of the route, basically deadheading. So frustrating to be waiting northbound at Bathurst and Front and realize that the southbound car is the one you're waiting for. And the 509 is a long convoy of empty busses these days whenever I am at Bathurst and Lake Shore.

To me, far better to take the 511 onto Queen's Quay, serve the airport, and loop back via Spadina Loop or even Spadina Ave.

If things change and people someday actually want to go to Exhibition Loop then fine. But in the meantime "build it and they will come" is a big waste of streetcar capacity.

In the morning rush, the 511 streetcar is often full at Remembrance, squashed in standing room by the time it gets to Bathurst. Of course, the 509 is currently a bus, and that is packed too. The opposite in the evening. During the day, like any line, there are less people, but peak times are packed. I tend to take it during non-rush hours but even then, getting on at Bathurst & Lake Shore, there are always people already on and usually 5-10 people waiting with me. Service on the 511 was increased a year or so ago when other routes were decreased. I have seen documentation, but I'd have to dig it up; I've also spoken with Councillor Layton's office about it -- they are aware of the situation and have addressed it with the TTC.

When I moved to QQ about 7 years ago, I could always get a seat at Spadina on the 509. By the time I moved off QQ two years ago, it was a different story.

The 509 buses drive me crazy; they do indeed travel in convoys of four or five.

Pink:

Until such time as the Bremner/Fort York LRT is built (that could be a while), a branch from the existing 509-511 route could be built past the Princes Gates and along Lake Shore, with (for example) every second streetcar terminating at Ontario Place instead of at Exhibition GO (which should be renamed Liberty Village/Exhibition GO, BTW Metrolinx).

Eventually it could all tie into the Waterfront West LRT. Someday…

Hahaha. It was actually auto correct that did that. I take neither credit nor responsibility :)

News release this morning
Taking the Next Step in Ontario Place Revitalization

November 12, 2013

Province Announces Design Team for Urban Park and Waterfront Trail

Ontario is another step closer to the revitalization of Ontario Place by selecting the design team that will transform approximately 7.5 acres of the east island into a vibrant urban park and waterfront trail.

Chosen for their extensive local and international experience in planning and designing large waterfront projects, such as Toronto's Tommy Thompson Park and New York's Governors Island Park, LANDinc in partnership with West 8 will design the new green space. The province is inviting Ontarians to contribute their ideas and vision for the park and trail online or at one of four public meetings.

Once complete, the new urban park and waterfront trail will link to the existing 780 kilometre waterfront trail system -- stretching from Niagara-on-the-Lake to east of Cornwall. It will also give residents and visitors access to part of the waterfront that has been closed to the public for more than 40 years.

Revitalizing Ontario Place into a world-class destination that attracts visitors and offers residents increased access to green space is part of the government's economic plan to invest in people, build modern infrastructure and support a dynamic and innovative business climate.

QUICK FACTS

The first public meeting will be held on Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013 from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.
The province is aiming to open the urban park and waterfront trail in time for the 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games.
Building the park and trail is the first step of revitalization and delivers on an important part of the new vision for Ontario Place — to create a public park and easy public access to the waterfront.
The province is leveraging Waterfront Toronto’s expertise to manage the public consultations and the design process on the park and trail project.

Designing a cool park is a start but they still need to figure out what Ontario Place is supposed to be. If they need it to make money or at least not lose too much they are going to need to figure out a way to get people to pay to go there. Perhaps a proper amusement park with rides that are not just for kids. A lot of people downtown don't want to go all the way to Wonderland.

Well, the involvement of West 8 is very promising since they're the ones who are responsible for the Central Waterfront scheme to start off with - one can expect a high degree of integration with the general design theme of the overall WT project.

AoD

Back