Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

The entire thing just makes me angry. The Ontario government should be working with the city with a vision to have the entire waterfront be a beautiful, accessible, awe-inspiring public space (and, yes - Brooklyn Bridge Park and the Hudson River Greenway are great parallels). Instead, this intellectually-limited, penny-pinching government under Doug Ford is simply doing the most expedient thing.

Therme is never going to be a big money-maker, the buildings are going to look way worse than the renderings, the parking garage will turn into a money pit, and sooner of later we’re going to be on the hook for this ‘deal’.

(Oh - and for good measure: a pox on Diamond Schmitt).

so the article and the comments around this are kinda misleading here

Yes, this EA skips the therme/west island and the concert venue. But that was already done back in 2022 under the "site servicing report"
In which they note among other things....
  1. decommissioning and removal of infrastructure that has no remaining purpose;
  2. grounds maintenance and landscaping
That site servicing report in asking questions about Trees and the environment mentions an arborist report which can be found in the development application. That whole thing was already done.

Whether or not the area turns into a waterpark or not, even turning it into an actual park will need this "site servicing work" to ensure the old log flume ride and related facilities are properly demolished.

you notice how construction has already started for the site servicing? This EPR report is only for post-servicing activities like the marina

to summarize, Its not corruption, its just slow-moving uncorrelated studies

...comments around this are kinda misleading here.
Er...no they're not. Misunderstanding the situation potentially, yes. But misleading would imply the posters knew this before hand and it's highly unlikely they didn't...as they're only posting/responding to what's being reported here...

...nor have you demonstrated that there isn't any corruption at stake here. Rather the shenanigans are a bit more sophisticated, but still rather problematic, IMO.

Er...no they're not. Misunderstanding the situation potentially, yes. But misleading would imply the posters knew this before hand and it's highly unlikely they didn't...as they're only posting/responding to what's being reported here...

...nor have you demonstrated that there isn't any corruption at stake here. Rather the shenanigans are a bit more sophisticated, but still rather problematic, IMO.
fair enough its a misunderstanding. whatever. same thing

nor have you demonstrated that there isn't any corruption at stake here.​
You havent proved there is, No one has.
It was a fair competitive process done by infrastructure ontario to find someone who will build a world class attraction.

You cant call an opinion that ontario place should be an attraction corrupt. Its just that, someone's view.

Is he pushing it through? yes. Is he ignoring the local community only on whether it should go there or not? yes. Does it happen all the time with transit? yes.

As ive said before refusing to concede on the only thing that was asked for in consultation is part of the consultation,

Uncle Dougie always knows what's best for us. How dare anyone question his infinite wisdom.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/heres-why-the-redeveloped-ontario-place-is-a-good-thing
Its Brian Lilley you know what youre going to get...opinions. He does add talking points from the government though which are hard to argue against

The NDP has been effective at one thing — branding the plan to build Therme’s facility as something of an oasis on the waterfront for the rich. In fact, the facility will have multiple areas within offering a waterslide-type area for families – with rides better than the old water park at Ontario Place – plus wellness and relaxation areas for adults.

The company has promised an admission price of around $40 per person, that’s well below the $80 charged at the gate for a day at Canada’s Wonderland.

In total, the revitalization of Ontario Place will see 43 acres of public parks space, trails and a rehabilitated public beach, none of which will require admission. With the existing Budweiser Stage, the addition of Therme and the new Science Centre, Ontario Place will finally come alive again.
I cant argue and say any of these facts are wrong

Its Brian Lilley you know what youre going to get...opinions. He does add talking points from the government though which are hard to argue against

I cant argue and say any of these facts are wrong
Except for Wonderland's online tickets are $50 and it's pretty easy to get them for $40-45 through basically any discount website.

fair enough its a misunderstanding. whatever. same thing
And with that, I'm not sure the counter point is being presented in good faith here...

...love to debate this, but I need to know if the facts are as they are and not alternatives. Because I can't tell if my opinion is on the mark otherwise. Thnkx for your time though!

Back