Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

This afternoon, just south of the (current site of the recently closed) Ontario Science Centre: it does look like they are doing some sort of shoring in this spot at the end of the temporary road, adjacent the hydro field. I assume it's for a bridge footing.

1000021101.jpg
1000021102.jpg
1000021103.jpg

A piling rig is on site while site prep continues for the emergency exit at Ordinance Park in Liberty Village.

View attachment 585326

Obviously Fort York isn't in the current plans for stations (additional stations being one of the most expensive parts of any subway project), but hypothetically, could this emergency exit site be built off of for an infill station in the future? It seems to be pretty much equidistant between Exhibition and King/Bathurst so it might make a decent candidate, considering direct access to Fort York/Garrison Commons, The Bentway, and STACKT Market grounds for events, and as an Eastern access point for Liberty Village.

How did we plan for and execute infill stations in the past?

The only infill station to be built is North York Centre, which IIRC involved digging down around the tunnel and building the station with a slow zone through it.

Obviously Fort York isn't in the current plans for stations (additional stations being one of the most expensive parts of any subway project), but hypothetically, could this emergency exit site be built off of for an infill station in the future? It seems to be pretty much equidistant between Exhibition and King/Bathurst so it might make a decent candidate, considering direct access to Fort York/Garrison Commons, The Bentway, and STACKT Market grounds for events, and as an Eastern access point for Liberty Village.

How did we plan for and execute infill stations in the past?
I would say that the location of this EEB is rather isolated for a new station, a lot of potential generators are blocked by the rail corridor and are in range of both Exhibition and King-Bathurst Station.

The only infill station to be built is North York Centre, which IIRC involved digging down around the tunnel and building the station with a slow zone through it.
But it also required a location to have been planned during the construction of the line - and to the best of my knowledge, there are only 2 other locations in the system that have had this planned for.

It doesn't appear that a future station could be built at or east of Strachan considering the alignment of the line shown in the EA drawings.

Dan

If anything, the location more suited to an OL infill stop would be Cherry Street/Distillery Loop, given the density in the Canary District and the Villers Island/Port Lands redevelopment (+ Cherry Beach, etc.)... however, in addition to resulting in tighter than optimal stop spacing on both sides, there's no provision for future infill and the design/alignment of the tunnel and portal render it all but impossible.

Wouldn't expect to see any infill stations anywhere in the existing system or on any line under construction.

But it also required a location to have been planned during the construction of the line - and to the best of my knowledge, there are only 2 other locations in the system that have had this planned for.

Dan

One, if I recall, was Yonge between Eglinton and Lawrence? I'm not sure if I recall the other, did they leave room for Willowdale on Line 4?

Reactions: PL1

Back