Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

They removed the Science Centre Station name. 🤣
1721660880626.png

They removed the Science Centre Station name. 🤣
Not as surprise - they know that they'll get a ton of sarcastic comments on YouTube.

They show the Ontario Line ending at a future Line 5. I guess that means the central section of Line 5 is still 7+ years from opening - so there may be some artistic licence here. :)

There's other places where similar tourist facilities are long gone - but the name remains. Look at Crystal Palace station in London. The Crystal palace has been gone since 1936, but the name remains.

The Ontario Line trains are really high-floor LRTs / Stadtbahn vehicles.
The train doesn't look anything like an LRT in a North American or English-language context. The capacity is well into the heavy rail category. With the ultimate 90-second frequency touted in the video, that's 40 trains of 600(?) passengers an hour - or 24,000 passengers an hour - which the TTC and the City have called subway in their planning documents.
1721673171066.png

Not as surprise - they know that they'll get a ton of sarcastic comments on YouTube.

They show the Ontario Line ending at a future Line 5. I guess that means the central section of Line 5 is still 7+ years from opening - so there may be some artistic licence here. :)

There's other places where similar tourist facilities are long gone - but the name remains. Look at Crystal Palace station in London. The Crystal palace has been gone since 1936, but the name remains.

The train doesn't look anything like an LRT in a North American or English-language context. The capacity is well into the heavy rail category. With the ultimate 90-second frequency touted in the video, that's 40 trains of 600(?) passengers an hour - or 24,000 passengers an hour - which the TTC and the City have called subway in their planning documents.
View attachment 582443
uugh are we really going to bring up the capacity topic again?

I hope we're not stepping into the Capacity Minefield again! That wasn't my intention.

I'm all for the proposed technology, having grown up in a city that's been well-served by a light weight metro system for the last 45 years. Where the vehicles were a direct copy of the German Stadtbahnwagen.

The only way to get a true picture of the capacity is to compare the hourly capacity on line 1 and line 2. Does anyone have those?

The only way to get a true picture of the capacity is to compare the hourly capacity on line 1 and line 2. Does anyone have those?
For TR on Line 1, if you go with 1,080 a train, and a frequency of every 2 minutes, you are looking at 30,240 an hour. So about 24,000 versus 30,000.

For a TR on Line 4, it's about 20,000 - I guess that's Light Rail. 🤣

I'm not convinced this is comparable to the "Stadtbahnwagen", isn't that just the translation of LRT to German? It seems to encompass a lot of different types of lines, including some that aren't grade-separated. Looking at https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadtbahn#Aktuelle_Definition, it says the capacity is 20,000 to 100,000 passengers a day - which is significantly less than the number of expected passengers cited in that new video - let alone the actual Line 3 capacity (say 24,000 × 18 = 432,000 per direction = 864,000 total per day).

Is there an actual line that this could be compared to - most of the lines seem relatively narrow compared to the rolling stock we are expecting - closer to 2.5 metres than 3 metres.

I'd say it's seems more similar to some of the Paris Metro rolling stock - other than being much wider, and presumably longer trains.

It puzzles me how much higher the Line 3 capacity is to a Paris Metro line, or even some of the London Tube lines, and yet we are still throwing around LRT.

(sigh - sorry to raise capacity again - it was just a passing reference)

Back