Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Ontario Line - December 2023 Market Update

Elevated Guideway and Stations

Development Phase Agreement Jan – Mar 2024
Contract Execution Jan – Mar 2025

Pape Tunnel and Underground Stations

Development Phase Agreement Jan – Mar 2024
Contract Execution Oct – Dec 2025

My concern is, why is the contract execution for the Paper Tunnel all the way close to 2026!? This will be close to the next Provincial Election and will be very close to the opening in 2030/31. If there are issues than we can expect delays similar to the Eglinton LRT. This contract should be executed in early 2025.

Link to Market Update https://www.infrastructureontario.c...3d975054aaa8298205/dec-2023-market-update.pdf
Link to CEO Letter on Market Update https://www.infrastructureontario.c...9463d975054aaa8298205/ceo-letter-dec-2023.pdf
Forgive me if I am mistaken, but does this mean that Contract execution for all above ground stations is scheduled for early 2025 and contract execution for all underground stations are scheduled for late 2025? Or just Pape?

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but does this mean that Contract execution for all above ground stations is scheduled for early 2025 and contract execution for all underground stations are scheduled for late 2025? Or just Pape?
That is a great question... I would recommend visiting the Infrastructure Ontario - Ontario Line website as it provides and in-depth review of the project and each of the major contracts. For your ease of reference, I have extracted information to answer your questions below.

The Ontario Line is divided up in 4 separate major contracts.. 2 of which have already been awarded and construction has already started (Rolling Stock, Systems, Operations and Maintenance (RSSOM) and Southern Civil, Stations and Tunnel)

The remaining two are for 1) Pape Tunnel and Underground Stations & 2) Elevated Guideway and Stations. The way they have worded them is confusing because underground stations can mean all stations but in reality this isn't the case.

The 1) one includes the following:

The scope of work for the contract includes:

• Three kilometres of twin tunnels underneath Pape Avenue between the Gerrard portal and the Don Valley bridge
  • Underpinning of the existing TTC Pape Station on Line 2.
  • Two underground stations (Pape and Cosburn) and two portals
  • Three emergency exit buildings/emergency services buildings
  • A rail switch/crossover in the section of tunnel near Sammon Avenue
  • Interface with Line 2 TTC subway
The 2) one includes the following:

The scope of work for the contract includes:

• Three kilometres of an elevated guideway (bridge structures)
  • Five elevated stations (Riverside-Leslieville, Gerrard, Thorncliffe Park, Flemingdon Park, Science Centre)
  • One emergency exit building
  • Interface with the maintenance and storage facility
  • Interfaces with Eglinton Crosstown LRT Line 5 as well as sections of existing Metrolinx-owned rail corridor where Ontario Line trains will operate
Your Question - Forgive me if I am mistaken, but does this mean that Contract execution for all above ground stations is scheduled for early 2025 YES and contract execution for all underground stations are scheduled for late 2025? NO Or just Pape? Pape and Cosburn station only

Hope this helps :)

As a biker frequently taking Queen St downtown, it's frustrating to see that we were not considered in the shut down of queen between bay and Victoria for the OL. I wonder whether it would have really been that project-limiting to save 4ft of roadway for bikes to move through the intersections. The closest streets across are Dundas and Adelaide/Richmond depending on going WB or EB. Another example of how bikes are an afterthought in this city.

"Cyclists dismount" is not usually the best way to manage cycling routes through a closure, but in this case it's a pretty viable way to get from Bay to Yonge.
Well, it's bay through to Victoria, which might seem like a short distance but contains important start/end destinations like the Eaton centre, st michaels hospital, some theatres, and the old city hall. Navigating through the pedestrians at rush hour while walking your bike slows down the commute by about 5 minutes. It's not a huge inconvenience but I also think the alternative of reserving a few feet of space does not seem like a huge inconvenience either (but I'd be open to hearing otherwise).

... I wonder whether it would have really been that project-limiting to save 4ft of roadway for bikes to move through the intersections. ..
Probably depends on whether the station box excavation will extend from property line to property line.
When Canada Line stations were excavated in Vancouver, the pit was practically the full width of the street,
with the sidewalk cantilevered from the side of the (then) Sears building (on the left in this pic)
and a minimal sidewalk on the other side.
vancouver-city-centre-construction-history-2.jpg

Likewise for Waterfront Station - minimal sidewalks.
waterfront-construction-history-1-1.jpg

Monteal's REM already getting shutdowns due to snow removal from pylons.

Overhead power supply: costs more, ugly, less reliable. Makes you wonder why OL won't use third rail.

Good thing third rail is never affected by adverse weather conditions.

As for your other claims: please provide some evidence to back them up.

I never said never. I said less. Because it is less reliable. And I have provided evidence in the past, which is why I can make the claims - those being that OCS is uglier, less reliable, and costlier than 3rd rail..

If overhead power is more expensive and less reliable than why is most of Europeans commuter/high speed rail systems using it?

Also, why does it matter that it's uglier? The Ontario Line is half underground/tunneled where you won't even see it and the above ground portions will be in their own rail corridor, which is mostly out of view from the public.

If overhead power is more expensive and less reliable than why is most of Europeans commuter/high speed rail systems using it?

Also, why does it matter that it's uglier? The Ontario Line is half underground/tunneled where you won't even see it and the above ground portions will be in their own rail corridor, which is mostly out of view from the public.

For intercity or longer-haul overhead is effectively the only option for electrified rail. Can't have third rail at level crossings or around people at that grade, and carrying long distances overhead is superior. Whereas OL is a subway and thus not relevant.

The underground portions now require larger tunnels, and taller stations. WRT aesthetics, the open air sections now have masts and wire adorned (e.g the Thorncliffe and Don Mills sections). It's in view, and makes the guideway more conspicuous and cluttered (i.e uglier).

Back